OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

disabling TSR's without screwing up my config?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hawk150

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 4:11 pm    Post subject: disabling TSR's without screwing up my config? Reply with quote

ok... so how do I do it? I need to run an old game that takes quite a bit of conventional memory... unfortunately that's the only memory it knows how to take.
Raven

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: disabling TSR's without screwing up my config? Reply with quote

Boot disk?

Scorpion Navy Issue
Fujiwara_Bunta

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: disabling TSR's without screwing up my config? Reply with quote

move all your TSR's into extended memory

flood control X_O

------------------
Diesel Powered
PIII 500
384MB RAM (one stick of PC-100 128MB and one stick of PC-133 256MB)
ATI Radeon VE
SBLive! Value
Windows XP Professional
77GB Total HD Space (one 17GB and one 60GB)
Yamaha 8824E CD-R/W
ATI Radeon VE
SBLive! Value
Windows XP Professional
Yamaha 8824E CD-R/W
Hawk150

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: disabling TSR's without screwing up my config? Reply with quote

how do I move them to extended memory? I only know the basics of boot disking, and I have to be doing somthing wrong cuz I keep getting the good ole "non system disk" error.
Hawk150

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: disabling TSR's without screwing up my config? Reply with quote

little help here?
Fujiwara_Bunta

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: disabling TSR's without screwing up my config? Reply with quote

...when you formatted your boot disk, did you use the /s option? or click the "system" option in windows?
ATI Radeon VE
SBLive! Value
Windows XP Professional
Yamaha 8824E CD-R/W
Hawk150

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: disabling TSR's without screwing up my config? Reply with quote

BAH! I FORGOT TO /S IT!!! BAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! it's always the little things that piss us off.
Cyberman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: disabling TSR's without screwing up my config? Reply with quote

If you are using Dos 6+(the chances are small though) you might give Memmaker a try.
Fujiwara_Bunta

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: disabling TSR's without screwing up my config? Reply with quote

dos 5 or 5.5 had memmaker..... but it was better in 6..... but, my tweaking was better for it.... if you gimme your comp specs, I'll just make one for ya..... x.o or something x.o
ATI Radeon VE
SBLive! Value
Windows XP Professional
Yamaha 8824E CD-R/W
Cyberman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: disabling TSR's without screwing up my config? Reply with quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Fujiwara_Bunta:
dos 5 or 5.5 had memmaker..... but it was better in 6..... but, my tweaking was better for it.... if you gimme your comp specs, I'll just make one for ya..... x.o or something x.o

Iīve knewn it existed longer - itīs been quite a while since I lastly used Dos...

Of course, manual adjustion can be better - but he(?) said that he doesnīt have to much knowledge about it - so Memmaker is a good starting point IMHO.
sanity1a

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: disabling TSR's without screwing up my config? Reply with quote

if you do not play the game much, just crtl-alt-delete and close down the programs manually, otherwise, just delete the startup keys from the startup folder, win.ini, and using regedit.exe, they're under local machine/software/micro$oft/windows/current version/run*/
and current user/...

------------------
"no private detective looks like a private detective, that's one of the first rules of private detection"
"but if no private detective looks likea private detective how do you know what it is he's not supposed to look like? seems like there's a problem there"
"yes, but it's not one that keeps me awake at nights." / the long dark tea time of th soul by douglas adams
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/sanity1a" TARGET=_blank>site</A> <A HREF="http://mailto:[email protected]" TARGET=_blank>mail</A>
Fujiwara_Bunta

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: disabling TSR's without screwing up my config? Reply with quote

the point of using a boot disk.... is to NOT be running windows

here's a very very basic config.sys:

devicehigh=a:\himem.sys
devicehigh=a:\emm386.exe NOEMS
devicehigh=oakcdrom.sys /D :oemcd001

cd driver optional

basic autoexec.bat (for my comp anyway...)

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET CTSYN=A:\
set temp=c:\windows\temp
SET QTJava=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTJava.zip
SET CLASSPATH=C:\Program Files\Heat\navbar;%CLASSPATH%;%QTJava%;
LH MSCDEX.EXE /D :oemcd001 /L :D

again... cd driver optional.

if I still had my old boot-disk (which could run almost every single DOS game on the planet) it'd be much easier.... 'cuz it was all made on my 486.... which memory was a hard thing to work with... all 8MB of it :)

[This message has been edited by Fujiwara_Bunta (edited 02-14-2002).]
ATI Radeon VE
SBLive! Value
Windows XP Professional
Yamaha 8824E CD-R/W
Electrode

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: disabling TSR's without screwing up my config? Reply with quote

If you want to remove TSRs from the Windows system tray, do this: open the Start menu and go to "Run". Now type in "msconfig" and go to the Startup tab. Now check/uncheck the stuff that you do or don't want to run in the system tray when Windows first boots up.

"MSConfig" is a little-known gem that Microsoft put into Windows. And then promptly forgot to tell everyone about.

Have fun regaining shedloads of memory!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> The Game All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: