OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grad Present: Laptop
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Really Cool Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Grad Present: Laptop Reply with quote

Quote:
Good thing about mac... you hardly ever need to do any upgrading in the hardware department and the technology is very constant... unlike the crazy PC side

hehe... you mean "you hardly can ever do any upgrading in the hardware department and the technology is either top-of-the-line, or surprisingly low-end, but it is always, always overpriced." [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif" alt="[/img]

I am looking for a laptop with at least a 15" screen, so the iBooks would be insufficient for me. And there's nothing really special about the mac laptops... lack of USB 2.0 or card readers, mediocre screens, mediocre battery life, okay performance. Sure, they look good when they're closed, but I'd like to use mine.

And switching to mac would not be easy for someone who uses a computer a lot. I am content with windows xp, and I would not consider OSX until it picked up some of XP's vital features (something apple is working hard on).

So, let's say I chose a mac laptop. Let's take costs into account right now, ignoring the actual moving of files from pc to mac etc.
Costs:
15" Combo Drive Powerbook (256mb SDRAM [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif" alt="[/img] ugh): $2,000
Office v.X: $500
Connectix Virtual PC thingy: $150
And... I'd expect to pay at least $500 more for software if i wanted even half of what I've got now. But of course there'll be a whole lot more software that isn't available for the mac (mostly games), so I don't have to worry about those. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif" alt="[/img]

About Compaq laptop screens!!!
Yeah, the only thing I have against the Compaq screen is that it's got a 200:1 contrast ratio (that's pretty bad isn't it?). Other than that, the specs say it's a decent screen.
Mobility Radeon 9200 64mb
1.5 mbps Cable Internet
*1680x1050 on a laptop... yeah that's it... start drooling*
Spockmeat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Grad Present: Laptop Reply with quote

pfft, don't get a freaking mac. They can't run 90% of the software out there, so why the heck would you want one? You can't program on it easily and you can't game at all, (yes I made game a verb :-p)

Blind patriotism
[peer]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Grad Present: Laptop Reply with quote

I actually want to get a Mac laptop, rather than a PC one, purely because of the field of education and employment that I want to pursue. In the entire print industry (graphic design, etc) everything that people have to interact with for more than 5 minutes is Mac-based. The only thing PCs are used for is number crunching (document conversion, queueing, resampling, all that kind of stuff). The design and layout parts are all done on Mac, and for good reason. QuarkXPress, Photoshop, and Illustrator are all better on Mac than they are on PC, and coming from me this means quite a bit. I've never been a Mac advocate, but for graphic design it is the platform of choice.

Windows XP Professional
AMD AthlonXP 1800+, 1.53 GHz
192 MB SDRAM
ASUS V8440 GeForce4 Ti4400 with 128MB VRAM
ADSL
Microsoft SideWinder Gamepad
Unciaa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Grad Present: Laptop Reply with quote

Hmm, I'd feel laptops is the only place where getting a Mac would be justified- you get a lot more for the money than your average PC laptop. Sure, less software to run, but who buys a laptop to play games?
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Grad Present: Laptop Reply with quote

people who like games and travel... a lot...

Leader of the Forgotten Clan
Laptop Bunny Stats
()_() Mobility Radeon HD 5870
( ._.) Intel Core i7 1.6GHz (720QM)
((")(") 8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64Bit
Unciaa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Grad Present: Laptop Reply with quote

Handhelds are much smaller, cheaper and handier than laptops then. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="[/img]

Seriously, buy who buy laptops to play games have too much cash on their hands.
Really Cool Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Grad Present: Laptop Reply with quote

Haha! Spockmeat... I thought I made it fairly clear that I didn't want a mac... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif" alt="[/img] haha that's great!

Quote:
Hmm, I'd feel laptops is the only place where getting a Mac would be justified- you get a lot more for the money than your average PC laptop. Sure, less software to run, but who buys a laptop to play games?

The only reasons I'd want to get a mac laptop is because I like brushed metal, I like slot-loading CD drives (although you probably can't upgrade them), and it's battery life isn't supposed to be too bad (but probably not as good as centrino laptops either).

The Compaq laptop I'm looking at has more ram, a larger hard drive, and more ports than the mac one for the same price. It's also got a slightly larger screen than the mac, and it's got a lot larger resolution!! (teh compaq one is a WSXGA+ and the apple is a.... something between an SXGA and a WSXGA)

Hey, the compaq has a Radeon 9200 Mobility... are those even out yet? Is this laptop I'm looking at even out yet? haha [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif" alt="[/img] If not, it'll be out in a couple weeks.
1.5 mbps Cable Internet
Xaronth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Grad Present: Laptop Reply with quote

my friend wants a mac cause hes into making music and stuff but if i wanted a portable for gaming, ill just get a gameboy advance cause its no fun to pay thousands on a basically inferior machine compared to desktops just to play somewhat decent games.
"A thin line separates us. I call it 'talent'". -Ken Masters
Girrvusensu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Grad Present: Laptop Reply with quote

I got a GP32 because I hated gameboys and laptops were too bulky. =P
Really Cool Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Grad Present: Laptop Reply with quote

Quote:
my friend wants a mac cause hes into making music and stuff but if i wanted a portable for gaming, ill just get a gameboy advance cause its no fun to pay thousands on a basically inferior machine compared to desktops just to play somewhat decent games.

Well, I'm sorta into making music, but I use FruityLoops... I'm not a serious graphics artist or music composer, but I do both... not enough though that the slight advantages the mac has will waiver my desicion though.

I'm not getting a portable simply for gaming; I'm getting a portable work computer that happens to be able to play games. Nowadays, laptop graphics cards are actually decent. hehe, and don't get me started on why I detest gameboys. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif" alt="[/img]

So, can anyone tell me what Compaq means when it says (fixed) by the cd drive on the specs?
1.5 mbps Cable Internet
Xaronth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Grad Present: Laptop Reply with quote

whats wrong with gameboys? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="[/img]
"A thin line separates us. I call it 'talent'". -Ken Masters
[email protected]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Grad Present: Laptop Reply with quote

Okay, First of all: Compaq Laptops are NOT evil! They RULE! I used to have a Sony Vaio FX-401, and Frankly, that laptop was way overpriced for what the package contains. I would say: go for ACER! They got PREMIUM laptops with awsome specs [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="[/img] Check it out here

My Specs
Darkknight

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Grad Present: Laptop Reply with quote

Really Cool Guy,

If you are really into Compaq, then I suggest to look around carefully because there are a lot of "clone" notebooks out there which is in fact Compaq.

All the notebooks are manufactured by the few manufacturers in Taiwan. Like in Malaysia, there are many local "clone" premium brands which has the exact same notebook as Fujitsu, Compaq, Toshiba, Acer and so on. And they cost A LOT LESS then compaqs and the likes.

So do look around. I know for one because I deal with all the manufacturers [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif" alt="[/img].

Also another reason why I go for ibook and powerbooks [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="[/img] Manufactured in Taiwan by 1 manufacturer and no one else can get hold of those design. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif" alt="[/img]

regards,
Darkknight
RAM : 640MB SDRAM at 138Mhz
Display : GF2 MX400 64MB DDR (64 bit)
Soundcard : Soundblaster Live! Value
Connection : ADSL 384K/128K

The new baby
ibook G4 800 Mhz 12" with 640MB of SDRAM
ATI Mobility 9200 32MB
Slot load Combo drive Smile
MAC OSX 10.3 Panther (man this OS is fast!)
Diablo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Grad Present: Laptop Reply with quote

Good for you, Really Cool Guy

Hope someone gifts me something like that when I graduate... I seriously doubt it though... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="[/img]
emphy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Grad Present: Laptop Reply with quote

Acer has got some very nice notebooks; though I don't know if they've got a model with the right video card (I think the travelmate 660 is the closest to your specs.) and I'm totally unaware of the price, I can still highly recommend them.

AMD athlon 64 2Ghz, 512mb DDR SDRAM, radeon 9700Pro, 128MB, cable modem, Logitech Wingman, Terratec DMX 6fire, ESI nEar05, win2k
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> The Game All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: