OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't even play most of the time

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Retail Bug Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
durnurd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Can't even play most of the time Reply with quote

I just installed the program today, and whenever I run it, it shows the OMF Battlegrounds startup screen (after making sure there are no more patches to download) and then it continues to show that for about 5 to 7 minutes, then has an error. On two three seperate occasions I have gotten the program to actually run and have played it. Then in two of those cases, it quit for no apparent reason. Once, in the middle of the North American open, and the second time when I was trying to define jump to be the spacebar. And it just quit. Right now, however, I'm more worried about the game actually running. Any help? 'Cuz support.omf.com is down.

===edit===

Note that on crashing, it give the error in ModName: ~df394b.tmp (not that this is something to look in to, but just to note that that's what's happening)
FraceR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't even play most of the time Reply with quote

Not much help at this time, but could you please post system specs and possibly driver versions. Might not be the hardware that's at fault but this way people here can rule it out or not.
durnurd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't even play most of the time Reply with quote

I knew I was forgeting something...Yeah, I know I have at least the min sys requirements...

The thing that gets me though is that it does run some times. And some times it doesn't even start. It baffles the mind. And when it does run, it runs fine (no obvious driver problems)

but here's my specs anyway:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
System Manufacturer: NVIDIA
System Model: AWRDACPI
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.7GHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
Page File: 197MB used, 1051MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Video Card name: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6693 (English)
Sound Card name: SB Audigy Audio [C000]
Driver Version: 5.12.0001.0441 (English)
NightShadow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't even play most of the time Reply with quote

What version are you running? You can see by starting the game, then clicking on Help, then on System Description, and then reading the build number on the right side of the screen. The latest version is 2172.

Also, have you tried running it in safe mode? The game deactivates sound and a couple of other things, and could help in figuring out what is wrong, sound, video, or something else.

I would suggest maybe reinstalling it or something.

If you press ctrl+alt+del when the game opens, you will see a process with a name similar to the one you posted, ~df394b.tmp. If you choose to end that process, the game will quit right then and there, so it is something critical for the game in some fashion. It may be possible that something didn't install quite right or something, and so occasionally there are errors in that process. Hopefully, a reinstall would fix that.

Other than that, I don't know. Are you sure nothing is overheating or anything?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
durnurd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't even play most of the time Reply with quote

Gee, not to be critical, but remember how I said "It doesn't even start"? I can't run the game to press help.

Oh, and I just installed it today, and ran the automatic patcher after I did that. And I wouldn't know if the game stops when I end the tmp file program, because it doesn't even begin. No, it's not overheating, my computer still works fine. It's just the game that won't run, like it's trying to do something, then just quits after literally 7 minutes of the splash screen.

And yes, I've tried safe mode, to no avail. Same problem.
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't even play most of the time Reply with quote

i had a problem like this a long time ago.

if you have another CD drive, try it in that one.

Leader of the Forgotten Clan
Laptop Bunny Stats
()_() Mobility Radeon HD 5870
( ._.) Intel Core i7 1.6GHz (720QM)
((")(") 8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64Bit
durnurd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Can't even play most of the time Reply with quote

Yes, I was just noticing that it was reading the CD the whole time. Unfortunately, I don't have another drive, and for all other CDs my drive works perfectly fine.
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Can't even play most of the time Reply with quote

yeah, i found that OMF BG and Prince of Persia Sands of Time didnt work in my DVD drive, yet everything else works in it. luckily, i had my cd-rw drive to play them in.

Leader of the Forgotten Clan
Laptop Bunny Stats
()_() Mobility Radeon HD 5870
( ._.) Intel Core i7 1.6GHz (720QM)
((")(") 8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64Bit
FraceR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Can't even play most of the time Reply with quote

What you could try is get a no-cd patch for bg.
If someone has problem with me posting it here I'll remove it but it might just help out.
OMF:BG no cd crack.

I've checked it and it works for me. Make a backup copy of omfbg.exe and copy this exe over the original and you should be good to go.
Discomb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Can't even play most of the time Reply with quote

You could make an image. That is legal is you bought the game. Then you wouldnt need a drive at all.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Can't even play most of the time Reply with quote

Yeah and use Deamon Tools to play it. I've bought the cd too, but using a mounted image is soooo much easier... Don't have to switch cd's all the time :thumbsup:
Cable up/down 128/768! Yesss upgraded again!

[color="red"]Pro re-release!!![/color]
Spockmeat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't even play most of the time Reply with quote

do be warned, several people have posted about error with running omf:bg under windows XP sp2.

Also, if the auto updater keeps failing for you, you can either go into your program files directory and run the game directly (bypassing the auto patcher) or you can modify the shortcut to bypass the auto-updater. The patchs you need are available for manual download from support.omf.com if all else fails. Smile

Blind patriotism
NightShadow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't even play most of the time Reply with quote

Quote:
Gee, not to be critical, but remember how I said "It doesn't even start"? I can't run the game to press help.

Quote:
On two three seperate occasions I have gotten the program to actually run and have played it. Then in two of those cases, it quit for no apparent reason.

I apologize, I was under the impression that it was able to run occasionally.

However, a cd protection problem does sound more appropriate. Now that I think about it, I seem to remember something about that .tmp file being for cd protection. Could be wrong on that though, my memory has been known to play tricks on me. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FireFly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Can't even play most of the time Reply with quote

you can always play real life OMF.... just run up to a wall, and chop away

It is guaranteed to work (but might make your hands sore)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Retail Bug Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: