OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost Coast benchmarks: Is HDR a silver bullet to ATI?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killer_roach

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Lost Coast benchmarks: Is HDR a silver bullet to ATI? Reply with quote

Article here on AMDZone

This was rather astonishing... first, at how poorly the ATI Crossfire setup performed in a game that is typically considered dominated by ATI hardware, and secondly, at how much performance suffers on the ATI setup when HDR is turned on. This reminds me quite a bit of the SM 2.0 benchmarks with the GeForceFX; it looked very solid until SM2 was enabled, in which case it took a tanking in a hurry. More investigation is needed, of course, but it makes one wonder if these issues still exist with the X1xxx series... and whether or not this may be able to be fixed with a simple driver tweak.

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Y2K_MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Lost Coast benchmarks: Is HDR a silver bullet to ATI? Reply with quote

isn't the 7800 better than the x850 to begin with?
salem

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost Coast benchmarks: Is HDR a silver bullet to ATI? Reply with quote

Yup, and also 6/7XXX are sm3.0 "compliant", and x8xx no.
And nearly all HDR is done through sm3.0.
I think that the new battle between ati and nvidia will be about the shader model XD (did you see some articles saying each other had a bad sm3.0 implementation?)
Ithon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost Coast benchmarks: Is HDR a silver bullet to ATI? Reply with quote

maybe it was just bad programing on Valve's part :tongue2:
I wonder how valve's bloom campairs to Garry mod's bloom?
Rob Elam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost Coast benchmarks: Is HDR a silver bullet to ATI? Reply with quote

Wow, that's really surprising. I mean, right now my HDR implementation on the 9800 is a little faster than a 6600, and a little slower than a 6800 (donít have a 7800). Iíve always been impressed with ATIís fill rate, itís hard to believe theyíve screwed this one up so bad. Itís also possible that HL2 is not properly using half precision floats (Iíd think they would, since itís a decent hit on NVidia boards) or some other such technical mishap. I donít know, something seems wrong there, Iím having a tough time believing their hardware is that weak.
ouch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost Coast benchmarks: Is HDR a silver bullet to ATI? Reply with quote

yeah I'm with rob on that one. those results don't seem very ATI-ish... perhaps their nvidia optimizations effects ATI cards? or ATI has botched drivers... ATI has a bad hibbit of rushing drivers before thier optimized. they did the same thing on my radeon 9700 pro. I bought it when it first came out ($300, and yes... worth EVERY penny) and I remember that shadows rendered terrible, I mean when a shadow came on the screen it would drop to like 10 to 15 fps. now days though, it doesn't even phase the card. and thank ATI it doesn't. because homeword 2, X2, and yes even OMF:BG just isn't the same without shadows.

ouch

scientifically engineered to hate StarForce

X-BoT

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Lost Coast benchmarks: Is HDR a silver bullet to ATI? Reply with quote

AFAIK, that game is not optimized for nVidia cards. More likely to be bad drivers from ATI.

[ X-BoT's OMF Universe ] [ System Specs ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Discomb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Lost Coast benchmarks: Is HDR a silver bullet to ATI? Reply with quote

Well HDR works on my 9800XT but the coast walls glitter with reflections of white pixels. I had to turn it off and settle with just bloom to play. I assume the latest Catalyst drivers are to blaim.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost Coast benchmarks: Is HDR a silver bullet to ATI? Reply with quote

Check here for a video of the lost coast.. awesome I must say Smile
linksky
Ithon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost Coast benchmarks: Is HDR a silver bullet to ATI? Reply with quote

Maybe it needs that ATI openGL2 tweek :crazy:

posted in a old post by me herefor the so forget ful :p
killer_roach

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost Coast benchmarks: Is HDR a silver bullet to ATI? Reply with quote

Only thing is that HL2 isn't an OGL game... it's DX9-based.

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Ithon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost Coast benchmarks: Is HDR a silver bullet to ATI? Reply with quote

aww sucks to be valve :p
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: