OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Catalyst Drivers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Discomb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: New Catalyst Drivers Reply with quote

Link

Leaked directly from the ATI team in canada. The official release is tomorrow, so there are no benchmarks, but I'm getting a 10fps increase in Call of Duty 2 and thats pretty good.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New Catalyst Drivers Reply with quote

Quote:
Link
The official release is tomorrow, so there are no benchmarks

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/839/1/page_1_introduction/index.html
:rolleyes: <= will there be a smiley? heh
Discomb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New Catalyst Drivers Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
Link
The official release is tomorrow, so there are no benchmarks

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/839/1/page_1_introduction/index.html
:rolleyes: <= will there be a smiley? heh

!OFFICIAL! benchmarks :smirk:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New Catalyst Drivers Reply with quote

I don't think any driver release has official benchmarks... unless you call those empty statements of "up to 25% improvement in <x> with <y> card" that they have... unless you're talking about benchmarks based off of the official release of the drivers.

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Discomb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New Catalyst Drivers Reply with quote

Benchmarks released by ATI themselves is what i was expecting. I know Nvidia makes these.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: New Catalyst Drivers Reply with quote

You can't trust benchmarks of cards of its own company, and even less with ATI :p
Discomb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: New Catalyst Drivers Reply with quote

Well anyway, the drivers are awesome. I can step up all settings to almost full on Call of Duty 2 and run consistent 22 fps at 1024x768, which is pretty good considering how unoptimized the game is. Lost Coast full HDR works perfectly as well now, and it's quite pretty. I encourage everyone to upgrade asap.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New Catalyst Drivers Reply with quote

Finally a set of drivers that doesn't require me to have to instal, uninstal, instal default drivers, uninstal them, then reinstal the new ones.

And this driver PWNS! NFS under ground would run smoothly on all low gfx, then it would chop now and then on the level up. Now I can run the game on full GFX with no frame skipping or anything!
Rob Elam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New Catalyst Drivers Reply with quote

Hehe, not running an ATI primarily anymore, but this is still funny stuff. I still recall the Rage 128 (I think that's the right name) which was out for about a year, then they released new drivers that pretty much doubled it's speed across the board. That's got to be real frustrating to bust your hump on some cool hardware just to have your driver team cut you off at the kneecaps with some weak drivers.
Raven

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New Catalyst Drivers Reply with quote

Quote:
That's got to be real frustrating to bust your hump on some cool hardware just to have your driver team cut you off at the kneecaps with some weak drivers.

ATI has always had that problem. You should see how slow ATI's drivers are in Linux..

Scorpion Navy Issue
killer_roach

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New Catalyst Drivers Reply with quote

AnandTech is now pretty much saying that with the new Catalysts, ATIs cards are superior AA performers in comparison to nVidia's cards (but nVidia's flagship cards still perform better due to sheer brute force, just their leads are slashed, if not erased).

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Rob Elam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New Catalyst Drivers Reply with quote

Yea, I figured something like that would happen, and may happen again. I've always been happy with ATI in terms of their speed, they've been a little behind in the features department, but their hardware speeds have always been pretty respectable (typically slightly better than NVidia).
salem

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New Catalyst Drivers Reply with quote

Shoot me, throw me anything you prefer but... i won't consider buying an ATI card unless there's some minimally good drivers for GNU/Linux.
It's a pity (or a shame, as you like most :p) for ATI that the guys from X.org have a better driver than theirs...
killer_roach

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New Catalyst Drivers Reply with quote

Well, from my perspective, even in Windows the price/performance ratio of ATI cards isn't anything to write home about... at the price of the Radeon X1800XT (around $600), it should pummel the GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB (about $450) in almost every benchmark, not be in a neck-and-neck race with it. Not to mention 7800 GTX cards are plentiful, which I can't say about the X1800XT. However, apparently ATI has some tricks up their sleeve with the R580, although nVidia still has their 90nm refresh coming up (supposedly a 42-pipe design clocked near 700MHz, weighing in at a massive 380 million transistors).

Methinks things could get very interesting this spring.

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
salem

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: New Catalyst Drivers Reply with quote

Even more interesting when thinking the Quad-SLI configuration... and perhaps some more than 4 cards heh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: