OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Quantum Leap for a Quantum byte

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ithon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: A Quantum Leap for a Quantum byte Reply with quote

http://heart-c704.uibk.ac.at/index.html

the first quantum byte. YAY!!

Now I need to learn now is vertor processing and quantum mechanics and a ton of stuff now if I want to program until I'm 55.
Discomb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: A Quantum Leap for a Quantum byte Reply with quote

You know, that's fun and all, but quantum computing is really logically impossible, when the very act of measuring destroys the process. And let us not forget that while the particle can be anywhere at any time, you don't decide where the wave breaks, and you can't manipulate it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: A Quantum Leap for a Quantum byte Reply with quote

Quote:
You know, that's fun and all, but quantum computing is really logically impossible, when the very act of measuring destroys the process. And let us not forget that while the particle can be anywhere at any time, you don't decide where the wave breaks, and you can't manipulate it.

Logically impossible? Wha?!?

Dude, they have DONE quantum computing algorithms before. Not only is it very real, but in many ways, it does things that are impossible on ordinary computers.

For example, take Shor's algorithm to factor primes on a quantum computer. Prime factorization is the entire basis of current cryptography; take two large primes (like a few hundred digits) and multiply them together. Then try to factor that number again. It will take you years with a room full of ordinary computers to do it.

But with a quantum computer, this can be solved in polynomial time using Shor's algorithm. They've done this, for real; in 2001 scientists managed to factor 15 into 3 and 5 on a quantum computer. Quantum computing is very real, and very possible.

I think you may misunderstand a lot of quantum mechanics. The fact that measuring a state disturbs it doesn't mean you can't know any quantum state; for example, you can entangle two particles together so that they have, say, the same spin. Then you capture one, and measure the spin of the other; its state gets destroyed, but you now know the spin of your captured particle for free.
Discomb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: A Quantum Leap for a Quantum byte Reply with quote

Seeing as you are a physicist, I will trust your interpretation and knowledge far more then my own. Sorry for making an underinformed assertion. :p

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: A Quantum Leap for a Quantum byte Reply with quote

Actually, prime factorization is not the entire basis for current cryptography. I don't think any private key pair cryptography relies on prime factorization, that's mainly used in the realm of public key pair cryptography. Take AES for example, it uses a block cipher, as does the older DES, but AES uses a far more advanced algorithm.

Currently the future of public key cryptography is heading towards elliptic curve equations, so even if quantum comuters can factor any prime a few decades from now, no standards will use primes by then.

Blind patriotism
Discomb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: A Quantum Leap for a Quantum byte Reply with quote

Here's a question Vuen. Sorry if it is a stupid one, but I really must know. How do you force a second particle to accept the spin of a first, if that requires altering it?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: A Quantum Leap for a Quantum byte Reply with quote

Quote:
Here's a question Vuen. Sorry if it is a stupid one, but I really must know. How do you force a second particle to accept the spin of a first, if that requires altering it?

They already have the same spin before you make the measurement. You don't force the second particle to have a certain spin; you just measure the spin of the first, and whatever that spin may be, the second one also has it.
Discomb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: A Quantum Leap for a Quantum byte Reply with quote

Right, I have a million more questions and objections to the subject, but I suppose it be best if I read more in-depth material on it rather then present myself as ignorant of facts. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: A Quantum Leap for a Quantum byte Reply with quote

I want a quantum computer. Maybe we can render things like this:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/zarnoss/next_3dmark.jpg

At a decent framerate with that kind of system.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: A Quantum Leap for a Quantum byte Reply with quote

yeah if the water is like that water physics demo I posted a while back
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: