OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500Ghz clock by IBM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viper-Vision

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: 500Ghz clock by IBM Reply with quote

kinda insane but here's the link since I'm not much of a techy guy I'm not commenting :p
Link
salem

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 500Ghz clock by IBM Reply with quote

Woah! That's insane!
I want some benchmarks of that cpu!
killer_roach

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 500Ghz clock by IBM Reply with quote

It's a 500GHz transistor, not a full CPU. It's a start, but not as impressive as a lot of the articles are making it out to be.

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Endy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 500Ghz clock by IBM Reply with quote

First of all as stated, the article is wrong. This is a SINGLE Silicon\Germanium transistor. Not an entire integrated circut or a full fledged CPU (which would have hundreds of millions of transistors).

Anyways...

Look if you're going to put [filtered] in liquid nitrogen\hydrogen we know you can get to stupid clock rates. There videos of people pushing older CPUs out to 4\5\6Ghz using supercooled liquids.

I'm sorry though, you're never going to have liquid N2\H2 flowing inside your home PC. The stuff is just not readily avaliable, user friendly and the pysical properties just aren't conductive to being used as a long term cooling solution (it evaporates very quickly).

This is a video showing a Pentium 4 O\C to over 5Ghz using liquid N2. Notice how many people are present, trust me, their not just spectating.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4261827163265447245

If you want to see practical liquid cooling look at the designs used for the Cray-2 supercomputer which is cooled using a 3M compound called flourinert.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cray-2

The stuff is expensive as [filtered] but it is non electrically conductive and extremely heat conductive, which means you can immerse the whole system in it without damage and then figure out a way to circulate the liquid either passively (like in the cray designs) or actively through some kind of refrigerator device to cool the entire PC at once.

Theese guys did liquid N2 cooled Flourinert submersion which isn't very interesting because they still use liquid N2 as a crutch but it's a good start.

http://www.octools.com/index.cgi?caller=articles/submersion/submersion.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: