OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Networking 102 (help!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FraceR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Networking 102 (help!) Reply with quote

Maybe the address is different from normal... it happens.
If the router works then just run ipconfig in a console window and look for the address of the default gateway. Try just entering that ip in the address bar of your browser.
salem

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Networking 102 (help!) Reply with quote

Usually that router's default ip is 192.168.1.1
That router is better if you flash it with another firmware.
FraceR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Networking 102 (help!) Reply with quote

We fixed it, he logged into irc and we worked it out quite quickly.
Raven

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Networking 102 (help!) Reply with quote

Here's another recap.

1 DSL modem, 2 wired routers, 2 wireless routers, 2 wired switches, 2 USB WIFI adapters, 3 manuals, and 2 auto-setup CDs later, the shop still doesn't have a working wireless ethernet. On the rare occasion my boss isn't being too [filtered] to not have a LAN party, I'll just plug the WRT54G into the 16 port switch and forget having DSL through it. At least I know that works.

She says I'm too stuck in my ways to learn how to really network. Appearantly today everything is zero config, even wireless routers. Then she resets every d*mn thing to stock settings, wires them together, and has it not work. Fancy that.

I'd love to try new firmware on the WRT54G (It's even a v4, probably the best model out there), but I don't own the router and she's totally against anything regarding BIOS or Firmware. Which REALLY strikes me as odd because my PC, with an older processor, 1/4 the ram, and 1/2 the video memory still manages to mop the floor with hers thanks to stuff like that, but I digress.

Scorpion Navy Issue
Spockmeat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Networking 102 (help!) Reply with quote

Ok, first off, you SHOULD NOT BE USING CONSUMER EQUIPMENT FOR A COMMERCIAL WORK ENVIRONMENT.

Those wireless routers essentially have no security on them. Trust me, there was even a link on digg going over how to crack one of those wireless routers in only a few minutes.

Secondly, with 4 routers on the network, you will assuradely NOT be able to just plug things in and have it work. It's guarenteed that 2 of the routers will be sharing addresses 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1, you have to configure the things, there is no such thing as plug 'n play. It's plug 'n pray...

Thirdly, your boss is incompetent... get used to it.

If you really want to learn how to network, build a linux router, or flash the linksys with the linux firmware. That sutff makes that $50 router have the functionality of a $500 router, though it won't have the stability or throughput, it's only featurewise comparable. Believe me, you haven't done networking until you've done command line configuration on a real router. :thumbsup:

Blind patriotism
Raven

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Networking 102 (help!) Reply with quote

I had about 100 lines of ranting typed out and I nearly posted all of it. I guess the bottom line is I think I might stop working at that specific shop. I dunno. Never quit a job before...

Scorpion Navy Issue
salem

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Networking 102 (help!) Reply with quote

Quote:
Believe me, you haven't done networking until you've done command line configuration on a real router. :thumbsup:

I'm with you. You really understand what happens when working with a cisco router, or a unix environment.

A part from that... flash it now!!!!
But before flashing it look which version is, and if it supports linux. The latest models are marked with a final L (that uses linux), the other models better see what it has.
Vuen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Networking 102 (help!) Reply with quote

Quote:
Those wireless routers essentially have no security on them. Trust me, there was even a link on digg going over how to crack one of those wireless routers in only a few minutes.

A few minutes is pushing it, but yes, WEP is easy to crack:
http://www.tomsnetworking.com/2005/05/10/how_to_crack_wep_/index.html

Cisco routers are a lot of fun to configure; I took a course on it in high-school. I think I still have the RouterSim or whatever software lying around on my computer somewhere Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: