OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I am Laughing
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Discomb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: I am Laughing Reply with quote

1) Core 2 Duo overclocks a full 1GHz consistently on air alone. Will dig up source if necessary.

2) I have a picture of someone in that BIOS config screen or whatever it is, I forget. The CPU is Core 2 Duo. among the options that one can enable and disable, RHT is in there. It's not called RHT though. I forget Intel's name for it, and am too lazy to find the pic, but Conroe has it.

AMD on the other hand does not. Plus, it was earlier speculated that only the top tier versions of Conroe will have RHT, but the CPU in the pic is the weakest Conroe that will stock, so we now know that all versions of the CPU will have RHT.

AMD seems to be planning to impliment it in K8L, though no one knows when that will be. I saw an AMD roadmap for the next 4 years, with all their moves to quads and whatnot. K8L wasn't on it. I've read dates ranging from Q4 2006 to Q1 2008, so I really don't know about this stuff :crazy:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: I am Laughing Reply with quote

K8L is scheduled for Q2 2007, with quad-core variants launching sometime in H2 2007. However, K10 has just about disappeared from AMD's roadmap, and probably won't be seen until late 2008 or early 2009, when Intel releases Core 3.

The only Core 2 Duo question I haven't heard answered yet is what the transistor count on it is... it's probably massive.

EDIT: The Core 2 Duo Conroe (4MB cache version, not to be comfused with the 2MB Allendale) is 291 million transistors, more than the Athlon 64 x2 chips (154 million transistors), but far less than the Pentium 4 D (376 million transistors). However, due to the 65nm process, Core 2 Duo dies are slightly smaller than A64X2 dies at present, which are on 90nm.

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
FraceR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: I am Laughing Reply with quote

Core multiplexing iirc, but i'm not entirely sure what that did. It's not reverse hyperthreading in any case. Which to me still seems as an impossibility, but heck... what do I know huh ?
Discomb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: I am Laughing Reply with quote

No it's something else. I couldn't find the picture I was talking about but I'll ask a friend when he gets on to send it to me again.

EDIT: Got the pic. You're right, it is Core Multiplexing, and there's a Single Processor Mode as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: I am Laughing Reply with quote

OMG THREAD HIJACK
Discomb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: I am Laughing Reply with quote

Cool stuff. Intel was saying earlier that they want to reach 32 cores by 2010. I kinda passed that off as crap because they also once claimed to expect to reach 20GHz by the end of the century, back in the early 90s I think.

As far as I know, they've been staying on top of Clovertown, and Woodcrest is just about to be released, so this project seems all the more realistic. I'm not sure how they'll do it, but I trust Intel to pull some magic out of their [filtered].

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: I am Laughing Reply with quote

I don't know if they'll hit 32 cores within 3.5 years... Sun has an 8 core chip out, and it's only use is for servers. I don't see there being that much of a need for that many cores on a desktop... unless this reverse hyperthreading dealy actually works, then the more cores the better =).

Blind patriotism
Discomb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: I am Laughing Reply with quote

It seems "core" is becoming the new byword. Before people says "My computer is better than yours because it has 360MHz and yours is only 300." Now it'll be the same thing, except "I have 50 cores and you have 48!"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: I am Laughing Reply with quote

Quote:
It seems "core" is becoming the new byword. Before people says "My computer is better than yours because it has 360MHz and yours is only 300." Now it'll be the same thing, except "I have 50 cores and you have 48!"

try telling a costumer in a computer shop that a computer with a single core @ 3 Ghz is slower then 10 cores @ 299 Mhz

db
Discomb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: I am Laughing Reply with quote

Explain quickly that software developers have not yet begun taking full advantage of multicore processors, and probably won't in the near future as it takes a lot of time and effort, so going with a single strong core is significantly better.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: I am Laughing Reply with quote

They've begun. The Havok engine utilizes mulit-core CPUs. Titan Quest utilizes multi-core CPUs (one core does calculations, the other core does background loading).

Those are 2 examples off the top of my head. They are beginning to use multi-core CPUs, and usage will only increase in the near future.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Discomb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: I am Laughing Reply with quote

The key word is "full", and very few have begun effectively working with two core processors. Imagine a 10 core. :crazy:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: