OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The networking processing unit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NightShadow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: The networking processing unit Reply with quote

Here's a review: http://www.gdhardware.com/hardware/networking/bigfoot/killer/review/001.htm

I've been reading about this card for a couple of weeks now, figured I'd post an article about it here; what with the debate over PPU's we had and the post about the AiPU.

I've gotta say, Bigfoot did a rather nice job with this card. It accelerates all networking, it doesn't depend on specific software to take advantage of it. And, brilliantly, they opened up the processor to open source applications and such. So even if it's not needed for network processing, it can be used to process other applications without burdening the CPU.

Would be rather nice if Ageia in particular, or Nvidia and ATI opened their processor for processing stuff other than graphics, particularly with the push for SLI.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spockmeat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The networking processing unit Reply with quote

Hum... too bad it's $280. Some of those frame rate improvements look impressive... any other reviews up yet?

Blind patriotism
Rob Elam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: The networking processing unit Reply with quote

While it doesn't seem remotely worth it, it's still more of an improvement than I expected. Kinda lame that they seem to be comparing to onboard networking though, I think it'd be much more valid if they compared to the common $15 network card. Although it's likely that many people will be considering upgrading from onboard networking, it still seems similar to comparing GPU benchmarks to onboard video.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: