OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If there was an OMF3 what would you like to see in it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NightShadow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for animations, look at Spore. It is possible to procedurally animate characters. Not that I'm saying it's easy, I have no idea how difficult it is to code something like that. Once Spore is released, however, I'm sure it wouldn't be too terribly difficult to use for motion capture. Obviously some stuff would still have to be done by keyframe (unless Spore is highly moddable), but it would still reduce the amount of keyframe work significantly.

My wishlist:

Customizable pilots - as mentioned before.

Available mod tools - preferably user-friendly. Even if they aren't user friendly, however, I like to think that if they were made available with the game, there would be some people who would take the time to learn how to use them.

Fixed OMF:BG style combat - I love the fact that 16 players can duke it out at once. However, the combat would have to be much better balanced for fighting multiple opponents simultaneously. Make the targeting system less intrusive. Provide the ability to turn while blocking. Have all special moves capable of attacking multiple opponents (ie super grav-well and Jag's super leap would be able to grab multiple opponents, but do less damage). Most projectiles would have area-effect (explosive) attacks. Provide a rear-view mirror or provide a defense/offense to deal with backstabbers, or make the side-evades go straight again instead of curving (can't tell you how many times I've side-evaded to avoid a backstabber, only to be hit anyway due to the side-evade circling the first guy I was attacking). Randomize the starting positions.

More interactive environments - The HARs are very large, destructible terrain would do a great job in showing this. Allow them to be thrown against skyscrapers. Let them pick up suburban homes or whatever to throw at the other HARs.

Um, yeah, I think that pretty well covers it. There are other things I'd like to see as well, but they're not really worth listing.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well just to put in my own wishlist (yeah you may laugh now):

Full windows compatibility

Full network and internet support

Add robyrts suggested balance fixes.

Thats it, unless you also think "release sourcecode" as a viable request for this.
Wraiyth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Available mod tools - preferably user-friendly. Even if they aren't user friendly, however, I like to think that if they were made available with the game, there would be some people who would take the time to learn how to use them.

They practically *are* avaliable, there is a thread that Rob stated you were welcome to send him an email and you'd be able to play with the tools. And out of everyone who has joined, not one has actually done anything useful yet
Ori Klein

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I've missed that thread.
Quite frankly, I probably won't be able to do much with the tools...solo.
I'm a designer, I do settings, gameplay, style and combat modes...art, code, etc. I need someone else to assist with.

A side project game that may never finish. Wink
GodzukiTest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did anyone miss the fact that i blatantly offended ori klein in this thread?
NightShadow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wraiyth wrote:
Quote:

They practically *are* avaliable, there is a thread that Rob stated you were welcome to send him an email and you'd be able to play with the tools. And out of everyone who has joined, not one has actually done anything useful yet

Yeah, I seriously considered doing just that. However, I won't have any time to really try using the tools until sometime next year. I figured I'd email him then. I was also hoping to use this summer to learn more about programming as I have access to some online courses, but my internet access has been very highly unreliable. Sad Next year will be a much better year.

Also, I meant more along the lines of releasing the tools at the same time the game was released. That is when the largest pool of potential users is available, and so provides the best opportunity for modding. But, next year, when (if) I get access to the mod tools, I'll actually know what I'm talking about; instead of just hypothesizing when I have no experience with the tools.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wraiyth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not like theres no one there to help you, both me and Rob will almost always be happy to field questions (I know a fair bit, Rob knows everything) and you should be able to achieve some decent things even with basic experience. I'm working on some Video Tutorials and stuff too, so those will help you to get a grasp on all elements.
BreatheFirst

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: If there was an OMF3 what would you like to see in it? Reply with quote

*200+ pilots (including old favs)

- 200 PILOTS??? WTF???? You outta your mind?? Look, the reason OMF was such a highly-anticipated game in this community is because of its originality in combining Pilots with the robots. Now if you add 200 pilots, you might as well make Capcom vs. SNK 3. You want the pilots to have some IMPACT on the way the game is played....not add hundreds of them will completely negate them. At most 10-15 pilots, every single one of them would be drastically different from each other, with at least ONE INDIVIDUAL SPECIALTY...there you go.

*25 HARs (all the old ones)

No, no , no.....8 is good. Again, 8 is enough, just balance them out, let them have their own weaknesses and strengths. And you want these HARS to be completely different from each other. Like how Force and Chronos are distinct characters in the game.

*3D like Battlegrounds

Sure
*Smoother animations and controls (BGs were a bit sticky IMO)

Okay

*Tournament mode with a custom bot allowing you to switch limbs, weapons, chassis, tools, etc. (too bad the OMFBG HAR Workshop mod is indefinitely on hiatus)

Tournament mode sure....but adding limbs and weapons??? This is a fighting game right? Not an RPG. Sure you can make it like OMF 2097 where there are ENHANCEMENTS....like how your HAR would get stronger and bigger....but adding limbs and switching limbs????? Come on now

*Terrain shaping (like a robot getting punched down into some dirt and it tears up physical chunks)

Cool idea

*Wider selection of arena hazards and weapons like maybe even scattered debris

Ehh.....let's just keep that mostly the same....we want a fighting game here.

*Diversified cast of HAR types including those on the ground, air, water, and space fighting as well as different means of mobility like those with more or less than two legs or maybe just jets, wheels, anti-grav, fins, or whatever else (THIS is one I would like to see and damn would it add a whole new dimension)

Sure, cool idea....but I don't know how well it would WORK
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, relax. This thread is 3 years old or something, and most have already posted and answered/agreed with your opinions already.

Think of this more as a "wish thread" than serious suggestions.

Most fans will usually begin with wanting more of everything for their favorite games, no matter how reasonable such a wish might be. Basically, most would love to get expansion packs etc, to increase their favorite game to infinity and beyond (Or to Insanity and Beyond according to some).

So yeah, no need to worry. Most agreed that having 50+ pilots was fairly useless, we could have done fine with just 10 or so like in omf2097. Same with HAR's, 8 is about a right number and there should be more focus on getting those right and balanced than bothering to make more etc.

And let's not get into all the discussions about manually making the ground skeletons for various odd mixes of crows combined with lions and other silly HAR ideas!

Also, I haven't heard anything about the mod tools for a couple of years now, so I'm assuming its as dead as dead can be.

Now what would be more interesting was if someone made a brainstorming thread for making a fan based omf3 in another game engine. Even if it wouldn't happen, it would be interesting to read about peoples ideas and opinions.

And let's face it, we enjoy it!
noobman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be more than content with a 2.5D recreation of the original as a downloadable game (IE Xbox Live Arcade... though I'd rather play my OMF on the PC).

I haven't been able to get OMF:BG to run in years (the game always renders blank whitespace) so it's hard to come up with ideas based off of that.
Raven

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always Raptor, you seem to display an understand of the game and it's fan base that I never will. Perhaps with some decent project leadership to get rid of project creep things might have been different in the past. With 4-5 different projects aiming to rebuild OMF 2097, un-build OMFBG, and occasionally mix the two, I can't think of one that even reached a playable state. Or to put it more precisely, a start-able state.

EDIT:
I saw something very interesting on Steam the other day. Commander Keen! It was on Steam, selling for $5. It was a no-brainer for me to buy it, because Commander Keen is awesome. These days, if an attempt to revise the OMF franchise were made, I'd recommend taking a little shine & polish to 2097 (netcode & works XP / Vista / 7) and selling it on Steam, at Walmart, and here on omf.com as a $5 novelty.

Scorpion Navy Issue
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled across this one earlier today on the Epic forums (of all places...).

Yeah, it is an obvious photoshop and what not. But it does make you want to drool just a little bit!

NB: Raven stop talking like that, you're creeping me out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> The Game All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: