OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi guys! Successful linux guy here wants to join 2097 multi!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justyellowboy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Hi guys! Successful linux guy here wants to join 2097 multi! Reply with quote

I remember OMF! I love it. Works great on my Dosbox.

I read about Kali and Kahn, but I cannot find the latter. There only seems to be one IPX-related github project, and it started (and died) in July.

So, I really want to join in on a game, but I am literally starting from Step 2 (after that one little prerequisite step that involves getting the game, of course). I also want my dad to play against me, but doesn't that require a server? I've also heard talk about Hitachi, too, that it also works. Doesn't Hitachi work on Linux? Gah, I can't find it. Maybe I'll just play against dad when I come home for Christmas.

I guess this is a "hello" to you all. Smile
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very short version is: Use DosBox, it has a own buildt in IPX to TCP/IP tunnel software/program.

I have not set myself to deep into it yet, but I know it can work through a setup server. Don't know if it can work around that.

Anyways, if you have a server available, all you need to do, is edit the dosboc config files (link found in start menu) at the bottom to enable the ipx tunnel/network setings.

Enter Dosbox and start the net (command listed in either help or in the config).

And start omf as usual and go to network play.

------

Anyways, you will need to plan a game with someone, as there is noone just sititng around waiting for a game there or anything. Also the game lags a fair bit when playing, as it was nowhere near buildt to handle the TCP/IP usage over internet, with lag and ping etc. So it plays very slow, almost always slower than the slowest speed setting.

------

I really need to update all that outdated info on my website, I think I can scrap just about everything there by now.

If you have more questions, you can ask me, or someone with more experience with DosBox if you wonder about that. If you use IRC, then zoom in at irc.freenode.org #omf me and a coule of others hangs out there when we are around, and can often ansver faster that way.

EDIT: This would get more attention in Off Topic forum, and does not really belong here in tech talk anyways, since it is about omf2097.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: