OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

*sigh* help! new site look.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: *sigh* help! new site look. Reply with quote

I've tried avoiding having to do this for some time now! But since I've pestered so many people half to death over chats, they almost refuse to talk to me anymore, I need new hunting grounds and fresh meat... ehr I naturally mean fresh point of views and willing testers.

Been having a big refurbish project going on for my website the last few weeks, changing hosting, moving and fixing forums over and back and forth. And also because I'm apparently insane, I also decided to redo the website properly as well.

After making one look I liked, Haoshiro pointed out that the entire code was a waste of time, and has been hammering in proper syntax and structure into my skull for several weeks after that. Still trying to figure out allot of the finer points of this code, but it seems to do what I want it to do, and look how I want it to look. And to everyone else great relief, it does not use <iframe> as all my previous sites have used!

Anyways, working on recreating the look from my old website, and having a hard time with it. So I'm posting here hoping whoever remains here could give me a few suggestions and opinions about a few things.

First of all, the new work is here: http://80.203.132.96/omf/

For reference, the old one: http://www.omf2097.com/omf2097/

General opinions are appreciated, but I'm specifically after a few things:

1) I'm quite aware the header/banner looks bad as is, but can't find a good way to make it better. This is largely because of the much larger size of the website in general, as the old was hard-locked to 800x600 pixels. Any suggestions for making a header that does not suck, is greatly appreciated.

2) The Left and Right side menus, there are lots of things I am uncertain about with these. And I'll probably be editing them back and forth like nuts, to really confuse you in the background. But in short:
2.1: Borders: Yes or no ?
2.2: Border Colors: Red, Yellow, Green, Blue ?
2.3: Text Color: Blue, Green, Other ?
2.4: Background: Black or the website-background-pattern ?
2.5: Capital Letters: Lowercase, Uppercase, or Capital only ?

Random other notes:

Was planning to fit the random quote into the footer area eventually.

ATM, I should have setup the right menu to be: Border yes, border color blue, text color green, background black, capital uppercase. Similar to the old site. While the left should be the near opposite; Border no, border color no, text color blue, background pattern, capital letters none.

So for as long as I can manage keeping this up, you can watch and compare, and try to tricks and mix and come with recommendations to what you like best.

Also if you look on the right side menu, there are three different styles to select, the two others are pretty much complete, being much simpler than this one. I have not yet decided on which one to use as default, and you can come with recommendations if you want, but I'm probably going to decide for myself in the end anyways, based on what I think will be most beneficial.

/edit/
*sigh* since I have recieved an astonishing amount of feedback.... I've just changed alot of things about myself, do have a look if you care.

-Jon Eirik
Xaronth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm terrible with design, but I just wanted to say that the new site looks miles better!
"A thin line separates us. I call it 'talent'". -Ken Masters
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the comment :)

I've been working quite alot on this one, it darn better look better!

Also converted most of the old site over to it, so should even be mostly usable. Planning to put it up in not to long, as it is close enough to finnished, and there will always be small stuff I forget that I can fix later.

Also design have a very simple step, look at a thing and find something you don't like, and try to explain it. Humans can do that completely natural. Critizicing is inherent. ;)

Try it! I want to know what people don't like!
LacticStone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Very Happy
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well, anyways, finished enough of it that I uploaded the final product, so as usual can be found here: www.omf2097.com

Do have a look at the different themes, I'm still taking recommendations for what to use for default theme. Used the omf one for now, simply to tie in with the old site, and because I've worked so much on it.
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done a couple of small updates, nothing mayor. Did add the timeline as a datacube (finally). Main thing however is that I finally got the blasted forums working again. Link is as follows:

forum.omf2097.com
www.omf2097.com/forum/

I'll also update my signature again for that.
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hidden in the text of the main page, the "Forum" link is screwed up.

Bottom of the main page, "Current Live Version" and "Current Test Version" links are screwed up.

Might be nice to place a cookie so that the website defaults to the last-used theme.

Just looking at the main HAR page... On a 1920x1080 screen, there's a ~6 inch gap between the HAR pictures and the HAR summary text. It's not a horrible problem, but it might be nice to change that somehow.

Caught this one by utter chance:
Quote:
'Fr�vous, Physics, Books, other Music, OMF, RPG's...Life IS good.' -mindofme

Some sort of weird character sitting there.

It might be nice to have a Back button for pages like the individual HAR pages. Having to use the master link-bar on the left doesn't feel natural. To me, it feels like... you're reading a textbook, it says "Check out Appendix B, it's cool." You go there... and then you have to use the table of contents page to go back to the original page. I'd much rather just have a bookmark (link) that I can easily use. (I know, the browser's back button works too, but I still think the point is more or less valid)

Arena page: The formatting is quite a bit different (picture left, text right). Also, are they supposed to be cascading like that?
Oh, and minor spelling mistake that I happened to glance at. Powerplant's summary says "Buildt" when it should be "Built".

The pilots page is titled "Pilot's". Also, the portraits are cascading again just like on the Arenas page.

for all of the individual Tournament pages, all the portraits are cascading down the page again.

FAQ page, "(No long exist)" link leads to the omf.com faq page which seems like it belongs to some sort of advertisement organization now.

"Forums" link on the Datacube page is screwed up.

One last thing... Both link-bars (left and right) have links to the main page, but neither link is at the top. It seems to me that there should be some way to get to the main page without hunting for "Main" on the left or "Home" on the right.

But yeah, looking pretty good. Way better than anything I would've made.

Leader of the Forgotten Clan
Laptop Bunny Stats
()_() Mobility Radeon HD 5870
( ._.) Intel Core i7 1.6GHz (720QM)
((")(") 8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64Bit
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurker wrote:
Hidden in the text of the main page, the "Forum" link is screwed up.

Bottom of the main page, "Current Live Version" and "Current Test Version" links are screwed up.

Fixed locally, comes on next update.

Lurker wrote:
Might be nice to place a cookie so that the website defaults to the last-used theme.

Currently not possible with the setup. Might try to figure this out in the future. I wasn't really supposed to even have multiple theme support yet.... but Haoshiro decided to make one...

Lurker wrote:
Just looking at the main HAR page... On a 1920x1080 screen, there's a ~6 inch gap between the HAR pictures and the HAR summary text. It's not a horrible problem, but it might be nice to change that somehow.

Yeah, know what you mean, but I can't get the dang pictures to align properly with the text on the left side. And at that resolution (using 1920x1600 self) everything looks bad in fullscreen, try resize window and it looks better right away. Find that about 1280pixels wide seems to work best now.

Lurker wrote:
Caught this one by utter chance:
Quote:
'Fr�vous, Physics, Books, other Music, OMF, RPG's...Life IS good.' -mindofme

Some sort of weird character sitting there.

Ah, good catch, think I've seen that once myself, will go over and see if I can find something, that should be a "" iirc. I've had issues with databases corrupting signs on upload, but not over ftp...

Lurker wrote:
It might be nice to have a Back button for pages like the individual HAR pages. Having to use the master link-bar on the left doesn't feel natural. To me, it feels like... you're reading a textbook, it says "Check out Appendix B, it's cool." You go there... and then you have to use the table of contents page to go back to the original page. I'd much rather just have a bookmark (link) that I can easily use. (I know, the browser's back button works too, but I still think the point is more or less valid)

Good point, I'll look into it for subpages. (never thought about this as I always use backbutton ctrol + left in opera)

Lurker wrote:
Arena page: The formatting is quite a bit different (picture left, text right). Also, are they supposed to be cascading like that?
Oh, and minor spelling mistake that I happened to glance at. Powerplant's summary says "Buildt" when it should be "Built".

Ah, I haven't quite finnished cleaning up arena page yet, forgotten about that. I'll make the arena page more similar to har and pilots. Think that shoudl also fix some of the weird placement with the images. Shows sign that this is one of the first pages I converted to the new system. Been considering rebuilding it anyways, and fit everything from the arenas into one page. Will see about that. Less subpages is good.

Lurker wrote:
The pilots page is titled "Pilot's". Also, the portraits are cascading again just like on the Arenas page.

Regarding cascading, I must admit I can't find that at all, I know it happens if linebreaking messes up (seen that no pilots before fixing them), as well as if one image can't fit between two others. Had that happen on a nfew pages as I forgot to add enough linebreaks and paragraphs. To replicate that you would have to have smaller text than I have atm I think. What browser are you using ?

Lurker wrote:
for all of the individual Tournament pages, all the portraits are cascading down the page again.

Same problem again, I'll see if I can't fit an extra space between every portrait on those pages.

Lurker wrote:
FAQ page, "(No long exist)" link leads to the omf.com faq page which seems like it belongs to some sort of advertisement organization now.

omf.com is gonne, that is why, and I don't have the entire faq myself anylonger. I'll just remove the link. The adverticement page is the guys that bought omf.com.

Lurker wrote:
"Forums" link on the Datacube page is screwed up.

fixed locally.

Lurker wrote:
One last thing... Both link-bars (left and right) have links to the main page, but neither link is at the top. It seems to me that there should be some way to get to the main page without hunting for "Main" on the left or "Home" on the right.

Good point. That ended up as it did by allot of different reasons, on the right side it was mainly because I wanted the themes obvious. Left side is mainly because I still haven't decided how to restructure that entire side. So i ended up sorting them by "data" and "misc", and main fell in under "misc". I'll see if I can't fit it on top somehow.

Lurker wrote:
But yeah, looking pretty good. Way better than anything I would've made.

Thank you! And even more thank you for comments! Now I have more to play with!

I should update somewhere within the next 24 hours, so changes will come then (the current test version should show changes already).

edit: tried goofing around a bit with the spacig on the pilot, har, arena pages. Also same on Angel's page (my usual test subject) compare her page to the others and say what you think. Did this remove the cascading ?

The weird sign in crusher's quote confuses me, as the text is correct in the file with the script, I'l try to reupload that as well on next upload, perhaps just a error in the upload.

Also all links and such was basically messed up because I had forgotten to add a secconf / after http sigh.

I'll be working on back buttons and the menus (last one is a everlasting project of futility, never is happy with them damn menus)
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using firefox. (Yes, I saw the quote where you essentially cursed it)

The Pilot page is good now. Tournament pages appear to be fixed as well.
Arenas page is still cascading, but the pictures are on the right side of the text now

What I mean by cascading is... (each box is a picture)

Code:

_____________|            |
|            |____________|
|            |
|____________|

The old version went from top left to bottom right, but how I've shown it here is how it looks now.

EDIT: I just checked with Internet Explorer (whatever version is default on Win7), and it's doing the same thing.

Laptop Bunny Stats
((")(") 8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64Bit
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then the problems is only that there is to little space between them. Seemingly your firefox version is making smaller lines than my firefox and opera does. So I'll just have to add a few more linebreaks to space them out.

*What I did to some pages (arena, pilot, har, tournament-subs, and pilot-angel) is basically a quick hack, I'll see if I can't figure out a better way to do it.

I'll have ot work on menus and back buttons later on, looks like I'll be busy for a couple of days.
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"current Test Version" link on the main page is missing the semicolon in http://

Laptop Bunny Stats
((")(") 8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64Bit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: