OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Actual OMF news
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malfrex
Ancient One

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm holding off to see what the next version of Android is or how it turns out. 4.1 is rather impressive (I'm still rocking my original Google Nexus modded to run... just essentially no local storage) but we'll see if there's any plans to keep trying to push the original Nexus with another release. If not, we'll see what vendors Google goes with for vanilla Android since I don't want to end up with Sense or whatever other vendor crap they dump on their phones... or HTC/LG.

WRT the Tegra 3, I'm one of the people who put money in for the Ouya so hopefully I at least get the hardware. I'm hoping to put DOSBox of some variant on it and rocking some classic titles with a controller (OMF, Raptor: Call of the Shadows, Jazz Jackrabbit, etc).

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
i7 3770k (will OC @4.5Ghz)
2x8GB G.SKILL DDR3-2600
MSI 7970 3GB
Crucial M4 128GB
~10.9TB RAID 5 (4x 4TB)
PhreakyByNature

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, the Ouya looks slick. But what spec Quad Core Tegra 3 is it running? Also 1GB RAM? Phones like Oppo's Find 5 feature 2GB RAM and 1.5 Ghz Quad Core Snapdragon S4 already... Hook up a controller and badabing.

Of course, the Ouya's proposed ecosystem makes it a winner, but launching with 4.0 rather than 4.1 as a base OS will also sacrifice performance no?

BTW on Android already there's OpenTyrian which I love and have completed Wink Still holding out for the carrot ship!
Malfrex
Ancient One

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WRT Ouya: What a lot of people seem to be neglecting/forgetting about it is that although it's using a mobile processor, it's going to have a dedicated power source so they'll be able to clock both the CPU & the RAM higher than they likely would for a phone.

The Tegra 3 clocks up to 1.6 Ghz (no clue on if that's factoring in OCing due to dedicated power), has 4+1 cores and a 1GB of RAM. Compare that to the 360 and it's 1 additional core (the +1 is a joke, really), and 2x the RAM. However, memory bandwidth could be a factor and how the on-die GPU compares to the "dedicated" of the 360 is questionable. At worst I'm sure they could pull off Wii-level graphics without breaking a sweat.

Besides, I'll likely mod the hardware anyway to run whatever is the latest stock version of Android... unless their UI is amazing and lets me side-load apps.

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
2x8GB G.SKILL DDR3-2600
MSI 7970 3GB
Crucial M4 128GB
~10.9TB RAID 5 (4x 4TB)
killer_roach

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malfrex wrote:
WRT Ouya: What a lot of people seem to be neglecting/forgetting about it is that although it's using a mobile processor, it's going to have a dedicated power source so they'll be able to clock both the CPU & the RAM higher than they likely would for a phone.

The Tegra 3 clocks up to 1.6 Ghz (no clue on if that's factoring in OCing due to dedicated power), has 4+1 cores and a 1GB of RAM. Compare that to the 360 and it's 1 additional core (the +1 is a joke, really), and 2x the RAM. However, memory bandwidth could be a factor and how the on-die GPU compares to the "dedicated" of the 360 is questionable. At worst I'm sure they could pull off Wii-level graphics without breaking a sweat.

Besides, I'll likely mod the hardware anyway to run whatever is the latest stock version of Android... unless their UI is amazing and lets me side-load apps.

The Tegra 3, last I knew, has variants that go up to 1.7 GHz, but still... oddly enough, the biggest weak point to that SoC is the GPU. It'll do better than Wii-level graphics, but it's still a ways short of a 360/PS3.

Regarding the Nexus, apparently Google is changing their Nexus program, and most every manufacturer will have a Nexus device out (HTC, LG, and Sony have all had Nexus phones rumored, and Samsung has a Nexus tablet planned). Could be interesting to see what transpires - don't know anything about the specs of the Sony Nexus (Nexus X), but its appearance is striking, to say the least.

EDIT: Interestingly enough, I still have my Nexus One, rooted and running ICS, and am using it as a media player.

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PhreakyByNature

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but HTC One X+ is running 1.7GHz Tegra 3 and is still powered by a 2,100mAh battery.

And check the videos of THD versions of Dead Trigger and Shadowgun - they're made for Tegra 3 and the GPU must be reasonable as they look far slicker than anything I've seen on the Wii and closer to PS3 and 360 levels than Wii:

Shadowgun:

Dead Trigger:

I've played this and it runs slick on the Pad Infinity.
killer_roach

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's getting up there, although not quite to PS3/360 levels (right now, the only SoC that gets to that level of performance is the one in the third-gen iPad, although the Adreno 320 in the Optimus G is in the ballpark).

Odds are we'll see some PS3/360-beating mobile chips middle of next year once Samsung and TSMC start taping out designs on 22nm processes.

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Malfrex
Ancient One

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@KR: Your Sony Nexus just went bust Smile

http://gizmodo.com/5953355/how-i-fooled-the-internet-into-thinking-this-fake-sony-nexus-was-real

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
2x8GB G.SKILL DDR3-2600
MSI 7970 3GB
Crucial M4 128GB
~10.9TB RAID 5 (4x 4TB)
killer_roach

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malfrex wrote:
@KR: Your Sony Nexus just went bust Smile

http://gizmodo.com/5953355/how-i-fooled-the-internet-into-thinking-this-fake-sony-nexus-was-real

Yeah, well, I knew no specifics, just saw the pics Smile

The others are still being talked about, guess we'll see for sure next week when Google has their big announcement (which apparently will also be the release of Key Lime Pie).

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Lact1cAc1d

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol... I remember that one kid who wanted to make OMF: Destiny. That was a very education message thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: