OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wasteland 2 and Kickstart

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Wasteland 2 and Kickstart Reply with quote

Kilo24 linked me to this one, which is one of the more interesting things I've seen in a while. I haven't donated yet, but I think I'm going to.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2
killer_roach

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Wasteland 2 and Kickstart Reply with quote

Raptor wrote:
Kilo24 linked me to this one, which is one of the more interesting things I've seen in a while. I haven't donated yet, but I think I'm going to.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2

Yep, I got in on funding that one, as well as the adventure game that Double Fine is working on and a couple of other projects.

Interesting point I was recently considering on these sorts of projects - could it be that, for an established "brand", the potential is there to get a large chunk of funding from Europe and Australia, simply because the reward tiers tend to favor countries where the nominal cost of games is higher than it is in the United States (Aussies come to mind immediately, since I'm always hearing them complain about having to pay $AU 80-100, or $US 76-95, for new games).

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Malfrex
Ancient One

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prodigal son has returned... sort of.

I was looking into the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter (put in my monies for the Double Fine Adventure one already) and got thinking about if Rob would consider going this direction for OMF, despite his apparent disappearance from the gaming scene after OMF:BG.

I could honestly see it working, and still have all the storyline work I had done back in the day with Killer Roach (hello, on a non-facebook format!) and Spockmeat (no clue where this guy is now...). I don't have nearly as much free time as I used to, but I'd be willing to put in whatever support I could for such a project. Moving, getting a "real" job, having a kid and getting married do that to a person Smile

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
i7 3770k (will OC @4.5Ghz)
2x8GB G.SKILL DDR3-2600
MSI 7970 3GB
Crucial M4 128GB
~10.9TB RAID 5 (4x 4TB)
killer_roach

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malfrex wrote:
The prodigal son has returned... sort of.

I was looking into the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter (put in my monies for the Double Fine Adventure one already) and got thinking about if Rob would consider going this direction for OMF, despite his apparent disappearance from the gaming scene after OMF:BG.

I could honestly see it working, and still have all the storyline work I had done back in the day with Killer Roach (hello, on a non-facebook format!) and Spockmeat (no clue where this guy is now...). I don't have nearly as much free time as I used to, but I'd be willing to put in whatever support I could for such a project. Moving, getting a "real" job, having a kid and getting married do that to a person Smile

More than willing to help out any way I can, which would probably be as a story and design guy, and possibly a bit on the music side as well. My coding has pretty well gone in the corner and shot itself, but I'm sure scripting isn't beyond the realm of my abilities (shouldn't be, most of my work basically is scripting of some form or another).

(Not to mention the idea of a Kickstarter project is something that makes this economist just giggle with glee with respect to the possibilities.)

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Malfrex
Ancient One

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if he'd even consider using anything we wrote, I just know that I still have it on file Smile

Its a rather long shot, but I sent Saul a quick message on Facebook to see what Rob's up to since he's the closest I know for a person who *might* still have contact with him.

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
2x8GB G.SKILL DDR3-2600
MSI 7970 3GB
Crucial M4 128GB
~10.9TB RAID 5 (4x 4TB)
killer_roach

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worst-case scenario, the words "spiritual successor" come to mind Smile

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Malfrex
Ancient One

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saul got back to me.

He's lost contact with Rob, and apparently he talked to Wayne who said he uses the [email protected] email, but that domain is in the hands of a domain controller now so the email is moot.

However, through the power of Google I've found a means to contact him, just wondering how creepy it'd be to call from the past and say "remember me from ~10 yrs. ago? Yeah, I was wondering about OMF...". If you do the traceback, he still owns the naming to Diversions Entertainment as of this year, and he's a VP for this other company with Judy; I'm assuming passed down from his father when he passed away (which I found out happened July 14, 2008). The internet is scary, as I found this all in ~10 min...

Greenwood Development-Elam

Telephone 850-235-3055
12118 Panama City Beach Pkwy,
Panama City Beach, FL, US 32407-2614

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
2x8GB G.SKILL DDR3-2600
MSI 7970 3GB
Crucial M4 128GB
~10.9TB RAID 5 (4x 4TB)
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malfrex wrote:
I could honestly see it working,

I'm a bit rude here and snippets just one piece of your post. But honestly I don't see this working.

What would pull people ? A new OMF game ? who ever even heard of that game ? A game like Wasteland can pull it off because of the well known names, Wasteland was a huge cult classic, the predecessor to Fallout one of the largest CRPG titles ever, and they are pulling together so much talent from well known games it is insane (They just got a couple of people from Obsidian like Chris Avellone, of Planescape Torment fame, in on the team).

Those are some serious draws.

But I assume you wanted to go lower, no such wild high expectations. Well how low, and what do you really hope to get out of this ? after all if it is to low to make a decent profit for the time invested, why should Rob bother ? And with my all-mighty powers of divination; I don't think any reachable amount would be anything Rob wanted to work with.

To be honest, it might have been more economically feasible to do a kickstarter for Rob to do an enhanced version of omf2097, and I don't think for a second that would have worked either.

The rabid fan-base is slumbering away nowadays, it is surprising if 10 people even check the forum in a week now. So who is going to throw in all this money for a kick start ? and how much ?

On another note, I'll throw in some money on Wasteland 2, simply because I really want to see what those guys can make. From the sound of things they are going back to all the things I loved in my old favorite CRPG games, and by most of the people that made just those games in the first place.Heck, even throwing in 100usd, it is still cheaper than buying a CE in stores here.

Edit: I thought that Justin still had some contact with Rob ?
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oi, did I kill off the entire forum or something ? If so, sorry. I didn't mean to be *that* harsh!

Anyways, put in 115$ on Wasteland 2. I never actually played the original, but I just really want to see what these guys can do, and what kind of old rpg game they want to produce. This team have almost everybody that is anything from the crpg productions from the last 20 years or so, at least from all the crpg's I've enjoyed. This looks like it will be to big to ignore.
killer_roach

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raptor wrote:
Oi, did I kill off the entire forum or something ? If so, sorry. I didn't mean to be *that* harsh!

Anyways, put in 115$ on Wasteland 2. I never actually played the original, but I just really want to see what these guys can do, and what kind of old rpg game they want to produce. This team have almost everybody that is anything from the crpg productions from the last 20 years or so, at least from all the crpg's I've enjoyed. This looks like it will be to big to ignore.

Agreed... went in for $15 myself, and am considering going up to $55. This has the makings of something special... and it's been way too long since I played Wasteland.

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Xinthos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent some cash on it.

I... uh. Am surprised to find that this board is still around.

I wonder how long it'll hold up.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait for Wasteland 2. I'll take anything from the classics after that horrible, horrible experience with the new Syndicate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: