OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

***Suggestions for OMF:BG expansions***
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of directions to go with the Mod Tools and OMFBG, The first would be to remake Tournament Mode, and make it better.

I am very curious about the current state of the Mod Tools myself ? Are the Beta Testers still bound by the NDA with DE (Diversions Entertainment), and if not, does it still protect the Mod Tools as well ?

In short, will the Mod Tools actually become public any time ? Unfinished or not. To be honest, the Mod Tools should have become public around 2005/2006, no matter what state they where in at the time, simply to get them out while the game still had a healthy fan-base to tinker with it, and fix it.

Anyways, as always, I myself am more interested in what I could do with omf2097, so I don't really have all that much to add to this specific thread.

*peace out*
nova10

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, the NDA was lifted when Rob Elam stopped caring about OMF.

Even if the Mod Tools are buggy, once made public, it shouldn't take too long to learn how they work with the files and start work on a non-buggy version.
killer_roach

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nova10 wrote:
IMO, the NDA was lifted when Rob Elam stopped caring about OMF.

Even if the Mod Tools are buggy, once made public, it shouldn't take too long to learn how they work with the files and start work on a non-buggy version.

I don't think there was ever a comprehensive set of tools released... the mod tools, as far as I remember, were woefully incomplete.

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
dvereb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"woefully incomplete."
This.

March 2007 Rob said:
"BTW, Iím not sure if itís been made clear in other messages, but stuff you read in these forums stays in these forums, itís not for non-beta testers." Those forums have been closed for some time now, but there is still read-only access. (Since the switch to omf.justinoakley.com, I think)

The download links for the updated testing builds don't work anymore, so I'm not sure where you'd even start.

Edit: He further clarified in a later post:
"Seriously, although I havenít had new users sign any kind of NDA, Iím expecting you guys to act like I have, be cool, and donít say testing related stuff outside these forums."

I'm one of those non-NDA people, so HA!

Edit 2: The domain for the downloads is available for purchase. WHAT ARE THE CHANCES that the server is still up, someone knows the old ip address, it still works, they buy the domain and set up the DNS entries? Smile

Edit 3: I always seem to edit on this forum. Anyways, I used to host files for the testers. I've since moved web servers, but I had the backups so I restored everything on my new server. The username and password should still be the same and the files are all there. Sorry if anyone was trying to access it, but I doubt it!

Edit 4: HOW DID RAPTOR NEVER HAVE ACCESS TO THE MOD TOOLS? This is RAPTOR we're talking about here!

... I need to sleep - it's 3:30am and I'm up in 4 hours. but ... RAPTOR ... I mean come on.
killer_roach

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvereb wrote:
Edit 4: HOW DID RAPTOR NEVER HAVE ACCESS TO THE MOD TOOLS? This is RAPTOR we're talking about here!

Because at the time he didn't have a computer capable of running BG, much less the mod tools. After all, this is RAPTOR we're talking about here! Smile

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify, I actually applied to the first public beta, was told by Saul that my computer was to weak and that if I bought a new graphic card I could probably be allowed in. But at the time I had thought it over a bit and asked to withdraw my request anyways :p

Simply put, I realized that I didn't really have that much interest in OMF:BG, and that I wasn't really interested in beta testing it for bugs and such. The only thing I'd be doing would be to play the game for a couple of weeks, get tired of it, and sit listening to everyone else rave on about it.

So, I'm not an ideal or good beta tester, and personally wasn't interested in being tired of the game even before release!

That means, no mod tools as well. And I was never interested enough in them myself to bother ask for it afterwards, not that I think I'd get them even then. Rob never liked me :p

And just to keep in with the running gag here: IT IS RAPTOR WE'RE TALKING ABOUT! IF IT ISN'T OMF *2*0*9*7* HE DOESN'T CARE!

...or something like that.
dvereb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sums up my experience with most games these days. Play for a couple weeks and go back to counter strike 1.6. 10 years later and I haven't found a better game.
Malfrex
Ancient One

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to dig through archives, but yeah... the mod tools were atrocious. They'd crash out, there wasn't much semblance of a debugger, and you had to modify the existing files, which meant making a manual backup before working on it. Add in the fact that OMF: BG won't run properly on an Win Vista/7 box and it makes the point moot.

If there where to be anything done with OMF at this point I think it'd be better to do a ground up build of a new game, not try to hack BG.

As for the beta testing process, I was disappointed in how it fared. During the initial phase it was going well, despite the expected bugs. The big downfalls of the game were 2 fold:
1) Listening to the "Limited Beta Testers". Although the people who were in the main beta test were formerly forum members, the general population skewed the team's focus to slow the game down and generally neuter it... the fastest speed was slower than what was standard at the start of the test and the flow just sucked afterwards.
2) Although many people in the beta brought it up, myself/Killer Roach/Spockmeat tried to make an active attempt at implementing some form of story into the "tournament" mode. It was based off of the fanfic work I was doing, with contributions from KR & Spock, and we had even implemented a tournament for people to play through although I don't think it got beyond being submitted to DE to test out. For whatever reason, Rob didn't want to move forward with it and the "witty banter" people experienced in the game was painful at best.

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
i7 3770k (will OC @4.5Ghz)
2x8GB G.SKILL DDR3-2600
MSI 7970 3GB
Crucial M4 128GB
~10.9TB RAID 5 (4x 4TB)
dvereb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ruined the game for me was people playing 1v1 over anything else. This was a 3D MULTIPLAYER game. I don't want to follow some random person's rule of don't hit me until I come fight you! Every video I watched before I made it in testing was pure chaos and excitement. Every match I played was 1v1. Meh. It was fun because it was a 3D fighter and OMF, but it could have been so much more.
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually commented on the speed issue during early Limited Test, that after a couple of builds, the game just got slower and slower, as well as more and more dull :p I still think build 1860 was fun as heck. And got to bored with it after a couple of builds later.
killer_roach

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raptor wrote:
I actually commented on the speed issue during early Limited Test, that after a couple of builds, the game just got slower and slower, as well as more and more dull :p I still think build 1860 was fun as heck. And got to bored with it after a couple of builds later.

Agreed... the early builds were particularly fast, and it made for a more interesting game. Rob decided that the best way to balance combos out was to slow everything down, whereas I and a few others thought it was better to expand move sets out so that you could break/counter combos or try to have some more launch moves for slower HARs to develop opportunities for juggle.

Not surprisingly, I lost.

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> The Game All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: