OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are the chances of OMF on GOG.com ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
takuban

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say there's a 0% chance of getting the game code and making any change and then getting it to compile and all that fun stuff. You would probably have to do a dual boot system to get it to run in windowsXP.
killer_roach

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

takuban wrote:
I would say there's a 0% chance of getting the game code and making any change and then getting it to compile and all that fun stuff. You would probably have to do a dual boot system to get it to run in windowsXP.

And that's being optimistic Smile

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Malfrex
Ancient One

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured it was likely the case...
Just sucks, as it just means that as tech keeps moving forward we'll end up having machines that Win XP won't run on, and therefore won't let us run OMF: BG. DOSBox exists so I can still play 2097 but BG is basically going to disappear.

How many copies of OMF: BG even sell now, if any? Maybe a discount bin has a copy that someone found tossed in the stock room and it was put out to clear space?

I don't see the value in withholding the code at this point as it would only help to preserve the title. It would be different if Diversions was still around to produce titles and still using the engine or something of the like, but it isn't the case. Even Carmack released id Tech 4 engine as GPL, and it was released at the same time as OMF:BG. Doesn't help that Rob has essentially disappeared :/

I guess that's just my 2 cents.

*edit*
I went nuts and messaged Ryan Elam on LinkedIn. Worst case, he thinks I'm a crazy stalker person.

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
i7 3770k (will OC @4.5Ghz)
2x8GB G.SKILL DDR3-2600
MSI 7970 3GB
Crucial M4 128GB
~10.9TB RAID 5 (4x 4TB)
killer_roach

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malfrex wrote:
Figured it was likely the case...
Just sucks, as it just means that as tech keeps moving forward we'll end up having machines that Win XP won't run on, and therefore won't let us run OMF: BG. DOSBox exists so I can still play 2097 but BG is basically going to disappear.

Almost wonder if Rob would consider that a feature, not a bug.

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killer_roach wrote:

Oh, that was just rude!
killer_roach

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raptor wrote:
killer_roach wrote:

Oh, that was just rude!

Rude, but also very true.

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Malfrex
Ancient One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

takuban wrote:

Perhaps 0.5%?

ryanelam wrote:

LinkedIn
Ryan Elam wrote:

Hey Travis,

Great to hear from you! Rob is literally sitting a room away from me right now. Let me know more of what you need and I'll send it his way.

On March 1, 2013 11:26 AM, Travis Best wrote:
--------------------
Greetings Ryan,

I believe you are the brother of Rob, who created OMF:BG. I was a lead tester and did tech support after release.

There is a small community who are hoping to try and preserve OMF:BG. We are hoping to speak to get code so we can get it working on Win 7.

Regards,
Travis

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
2x8GB G.SKILL DDR3-2600
MSI 7970 3GB
Crucial M4 128GB
~10.9TB RAID 5 (4x 4TB)
takuban

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't speak for Rob, but you should know that there is more to releasing code than just putting it on a server to be downloaded. Rob would get flooded with questions about things. There aren't any API docs or other documentation that I'm aware of that would help someone completely new to the project. It would be a decent bit more effort than just giving files to people. Trust me.

Then, let's say the code is given with no documentation and no support. You would still need to find someone with the C++ programming skills to be able to make whatever changes deemed necessary.

I understand your frustration, but I really don't think it's a realistic expectation.
Malfrex
Ancient One

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

takuban wrote:
I won't speak for Rob, but you should know that there is more to releasing code than just putting it on a server to be downloaded. Rob would get flooded with questions about things.

I explained to Ryan the 3 levels I'd like to have, depending on what Rob feels comfortable with: update the keyboard input module, supply the code needed to just update that module, or full source. I'm not asking for any further support, just what will either fix the problem or the bare minimum to fix it myself.
takuban wrote:
There aren't any API docs or other documentation that I'm aware of that would help someone completely new to the project. It would be a decent bit more effort than just giving files to people. Trust me.

Then, let's say the code is given with no documentation and no support. You would still need to find someone with the C++ programming skills to be able to make whatever changes deemed necessary.

Lucky for me, I know C++. I admittedly don't do it everyday anymore, but I do program in Python, and Perl daily. I know it will mean digging through code and a lot of trial and error - possibly even failure. I also don't expect him to make an announcement about its release or really disclose it to anyone else lest Rob explicitly states it is for wider release. I'm just a programmer with several years experience under my belt since the game came out and would like a fighting chance to try and salvage something from my childhood/teens. Unfortunately that requires someone else with the access to fix it or to be given the tools to pick through it.

I know I'm probably on my own for this as well, from those of us still around. If nothing happens I'll accept it but at this point, what's the harm in asking/trying?

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
2x8GB G.SKILL DDR3-2600
MSI 7970 3GB
Crucial M4 128GB
~10.9TB RAID 5 (4x 4TB)
takuban

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malfrex wrote:
takuban wrote:
I won't speak for Rob, but you should know that there is more to releasing code than just putting it on a server to be downloaded. Rob would get flooded with questions about things.

I explained to Ryan the 3 levels I'd like to have, depending on what Rob feels comfortable with: update the keyboard input module, supply the code needed to just update that module, or full source. I'm not asking for any further support, just what will either fix the problem or the bare minimum to fix it myself.
takuban wrote:
There aren't any API docs or other documentation that I'm aware of that would help someone completely new to the project. It would be a decent bit more effort than just giving files to people. Trust me.

Lucky for me, I know C++. I admittedly don't do it everyday anymore, but I do program in Python, and Perl daily. I know it will mean digging through code and a lot of trial and error - possibly even failure. I also don't expect him to make an announcement about its release or really disclose it to anyone else lest Rob explicitly states it is for wider release. I'm just a programmer with several years experience under my belt since the game came out and would like a fighting chance to try and salvage something from my childhood/teens. Unfortunately that requires someone else with the access to fix it or to be given the tools to pick through it.

I know I'm probably on my own for this as well, from those of us still around. If nothing happens I'll accept it but at this point, what's the harm in asking/trying?

Well, if he gives you anything, good luck with the project. As you know C++ is quite a bit different from Python and perl. So it will take a little bit to shake the rust off. I know it would for me. Wink Also, I know he used Visual Studio for his IDE. So any project files would be for whatever version he was using at the time. You might be able to set up a new project and link everything necessary to get it to compile with just the source. But that could be tricky.

Anyway, good luck with the project if it gets started.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: