OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Instant Messaging in the Future ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Instant Messaging in the Future ? Reply with quote

Quote:
On January 8, 2013, Microsoft e-mailed Messenger users to notify them that the service will be shut down on March 15, 2013, and that existing user accounts will be migrated to Skype.

That was surprising.

I was just plotting to enable MSN plugin and setup a new account, on my gmail etc, when looking around a bit, I noticed this. I must say I am quite shocked.

But the thing I'm more curious about is, what is the future of IM chatting ? IMchat has been a fact of life for me since the first time I went on the internet and some guy got me to install ICQ.

So MSN is being shut down.
ICQ is more or less dead, just a few stubborn users left.
Jabber never quite took off, about as bad as ICQ atm.
GTalk more or less in the same situation.
Yahoo never seen or heard much about.
AIM only one left ?

It sure seems that IMchat is going the way of the Dodo, only to be replaced by what, FaceBook ? Skype ? or whatever the heck Twitter is.

So what is an old grump like me to do ? I happen to like IMchat, and not at all interested in registering a facebook account and listen to the endless pratter of every single bored housewife that every person I know knows of etc.

*picks up his walking crane, and walks off*
dvereb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that the people you use instant messaging with would be deciding on which service they'll migrate to and that you should follow them there. Problem solved? Or is the issue that the people you chat with are going to Facebook/Twitter/not going anywhere? I, personally, just talk to friends via Steam since we all play games together. I haven't been on IM in quite some time.
PhreakyByNature

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use G+ we have loads of active chats going on all the time. G+ Messenger is better than G Talk and is very much like having a mobile IRC channel at all times, but if you're disconnected you can catch up later anyway. Genius. Should start an OMF chat.. Smile

Currently I'm in an Android chat and a General chat.
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSN has always been my messenger that I considered safe for using with people who are essentially strangers.

Skype, I use for more personal conversations with people that I know very well (such as family).

MSN migrating to Skype basically has me saying "Nope."

so...
Since I don't use Facebook, my new IM of choice is Steam

Leader of the Forgotten Clan
Laptop Bunny Stats
()_() Mobility Radeon HD 5870
( ._.) Intel Core i7 1.6GHz (720QM)
((")(") 8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64Bit
AquaRose

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use AIM.
PhreakyByNature

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjOxdxsLds8 Watch this Smile

Google+ Messenger is the best solution for IM for me. Only need to integrate it into Talk and make it accessible on the web/desktop.

Otherwise for mobile it's the best, barring WhatsApp which is pretty sweet but not free. It's how I keep in touch with most of my school buddies and family.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: