OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So... anyone paying attention to Guild Wars 2 ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't participate in beta, since I have only pre-ordered, and not pre-purchased. I'm not among the impatient little youngsters screaming for a early demo, ehr I mean beta. :)

I can wait.

Friend of mine got the pre-purchased, for things like the headstart and beta events. Then he went and forgot about the beta event until the last 2 hours. *sigh*
Raven

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent Saturday in the open beta just messing around with some friends. It was obviously beta, and did have it's flaws, but one good thing stood out amongst everything else.

They will sell the living **** out of this game. You can jump now. ****ING JUMP. Space bar, jump. Jump. You. Up. Down. Over stuff. Jump. Get it?

But jumping doesn't improve movement pace in any way, so the number of douche bag "I jump ALL THE TIME" players are kept at a minimum. In fact, since the fastest & easiest way to travel is a WASD jog while in map mode, there's not a lot of the movement quirks you find in a lot of MMOs. Just people travelling. In fact the stock interface made it near impossible to tell NPC from PC. That's how the main city / hub was, you get there and it's like a city with people traveling normally and no market hub crowding like in other MMOs. Very impressed with this subtle detail.

I liked the concept of hooking up with groups by random depending on where you are and what you're trying to accomplish. I don't normally socialize in an MMO which means no specialization. GW2 made it so I don't have to be a healer / tank / DPS, I just walk up to a group and contribute. Very pleased with this, since I don't want to engross myself in an MMO just to proficiently play as party member.

Scorpion Navy Issue
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the sound of that :)

I personally always thought that jumping should have a slight slowdown on landing, to discourage people from jumping around in ANY game to be honest. I friggin hate watching all those douchebags walk around in town jumping sideways for no reason at all.
Raven

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no penalty for jumping, but there's no benefit either, save for getting over a fence in your way, or possibly trying to climb a hill you're not meant to. Places where you actually expect jumping.

Of course, the beta was full of people who are willing and capable of pre-ordering. The LCD (lowest common denominator) player base wasn't present during the open beta, and I'm sure that's going to make a difference.

Scorpion Navy Issue
Cyberman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malfrex wrote:
but if you were to ignore the style you wouldn't be able to immediately tell the games were from the same series.

No kidding.
IMO, you don't even have to ignore the style - it's completely different as well. (And somewhat annoying - but that may be the mix of low-res samples with higher-res.)

I knew the game would be different from GW1 - but I thought it'd at least feel similar.
No such luck. A completely new game, with no ties to the old one (except perhaps story).

Most annoying - no radar anymore. You're supposed to visually recognize enemies. It helps if you switch the NPC tags on.
No way to know if you're surrounded, though. (Apart from dying real fast.)
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the large part, I'm glad it is different. To be honest GW1 lasted a long while for me, but eventually got tired of allot of things eventually. So new is good, a game has to evolve after all, at least as long as it is headed in a good direction. And from what I've seen and heard so far, it looks like it, or at least in an interesting direction.

No radar ? hmm, that should get interesting... To be honest one of the features I loved the most of entire GW1 was the "tagging" on the radar, drawing arrows and pinpointing places for others, I sure hope they don't remove that part.

Thought I heard someone say late summer/early autumn. Would be nice, since I'm goign to be busy all summer working as usual.
Raven

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

August 28, that's the release date I got emailed to me.

Scorpion Navy Issue
Malfrex
Ancient One

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure who else is actually playing this game, but I have a character created on Darkhaven (Malfrex.8275). If you're in North America and care to say hello, I'm around Smile

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
i7 3770k (will OC @4.5Ghz)
2x8GB G.SKILL DDR3-2600
MSI 7970 3GB
Crucial M4 128GB
~10.9TB RAID 5 (4x 4TB)
Raven

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I occasionally run around on weekends, but I'm on a different server. Overall I like the game's formula, but right now Minecraft offered something more entertaining. (2b2t)

Scorpion Navy Issue
killer_roach

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malfrex wrote:
Not sure who else is actually playing this game, but I have a character created on Darkhaven (Malfrex.8275). If you're in North America and care to say hello, I'm around Smile

As soon as I have reliable Internet again, I'll probably poke my head around.

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing on european server (Gunnar's Hold), joneirikb.7506

Still allot of bugs regarding teams, guilds, and such, so teaming sounds difficult. Not to mention the grand overflow servers :) I've accomplished more on those than the actual server so far. So far like it, a few minor negatives, but nothing compared to the positives so far.
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After having played for almost two weeks now I thought I'd put some thoughts about my impression so far. Do note that I'm only about level 45 now, and not done with everything by far:

I'll start right off on the negative part, the story mode. They did promise quite allot, but I know I'm picky as all hells on story stuff, so I was a bit dissapointed. It was pretty much "well done", but nothing exeptionel. They have a few branches and options desided upon a few options you do at character creation; like a human either comes from nobility, commoner or a streetrat. And one regret in life from either: unknown parents, lost sister, or wanted to run away with a circus but didn't dare. Each spawns their own story arc, and you get some options later on in the game that further lets you branch out a bit. But all in all I felt it was fairly standard fare, even if a bit more of it than usual. I certainly did recognize allot of GW1's style, also in how they focused allot on the 5 heroes of the races, and it made the character sort of tacked on at times. Oh well, as said I'm spoiled rotten, and this isn't why I'm playing the game, I knew that from the start.

Dynamic Events: Still mostly seen the events of the lower half of teh areas so far. But they are fun and people naturally flocks together towards them, which makes them even more fun. To be honest I am still a little bit dissapointed that they didn't take it one step further than what they did. In their various videos where they have talked about the game etc, they have always made the event sound more like things that changed the world in drastical ways. Ingame I so far have mostly seen smaller changes, that doesn't really change the dynamic or positions on the map itself to much. A few places some minor camps keeps changing hands between centaurs and humans etc. But it is still a far cry from how I envisioned it. Oh well, it works, it is fun, and it gets the job done. Though they feel more like timed quests than I had hoped for.

Combat: This is one of my main favorite points, several of the changes to combat mechanics themselves, like moving when attacking and using skills, the changes to skills and locking them to weapons etc. Having a blast, so much fun in this aspect, and after I ralized I could actually avoid several of the Kraitt's melee attacks by simply jumping over their swings... I love it! It isn't quite an action game, but they have added so much more action'ish into the game, that so much of the old rpg problems are mostly removed (like swinging sword and watching random damage numbers for 30min while watching health bars going down, yay exciting). How the weapon choises strongly dictate your role in the battlefield, and how quickly you can change inbetween them in combat. I've mainly been playing a Guardian with swrod+shield, and a staff. With teh sword and shield I'm playing melee where I can do some minor buffs to others while attacking, with some control effects like a aoe knockback, some teleporting into combat and one medium ranged attack, flexible and defensive, decent at taking out single enemy at a time. Changing to staff, all off a sudden I get a ranged attack with a large area of effect, and several skills that are good at controlling numbers, are of effect damage field, one ability that gives a minor buff and heal to all nearby allies, a missle that can explode and minor buff/heal allies while damaging enemies, and a force wall that can stop enemies. With the staff you're a good backliner, assisting and suporting where you can. I could probably write whoel chapters about Rangers wiith either Shortbow or Longbow, but I won't, because even I find that dull.

MMO vs GW1: I was very much in doubt about the change from GW1's Instanced style over to a full persistent world. I notice there are still some good/bad things with both, so still on the fence I guess. Or rather I just don't know where else it could be but an MMO, but neither do I think that an MMO is a really perfect sollution either. On the whole I really do enjoy how they have made this the seccond MMO game where teaming up actually is fun and desirable. You're almost never sad or annoyed to see annother player, which is more than I can say for most of them I guess.

Equipment: This is one part I thought they completely messed up. So now you got a gazillion daggers, swords, hammers, shields, focuses, scepters, and what not all with slightly different nubmers, abilities, stat boosts, and level requirements...... I was used to that from GW1, and didn't like it there either. But now they also added this same ability to armors... which is getting me a mite ticked off. I still hate that 2 different daggers for example should do different damage because one is level requirements 5 and the other level req 10. It is a friggin dagger! If you go to a store and asks to buy a dagger/knife they don't ask you what level you are, or gove you one dagger that does more damage than the other because of a stpid requirement number. Really annoyed at this, though it is nowhere near enough to ruin my fun in the game, I just find it a really bad design decicion.

Exploration: This is the primary reason I got hooked to cRPG's in the first place, particulary Baldur's Gate 1. And to be honest GW2 delivers. The last time I had this much fun just exploring places was BG1. They have created so much places, so many interesting things to see, and they have evne added a sort of checklist/mini achievement for each map to find all the spots on it. I'm running about trying ot solve jumping puzzles, to get to a Vista hidden on top of a mountain and ripping hair out of my skull, untill I finally stumble across a small well hidden path that I can take to get to a higher area, where I can do a few new jumps and get to it.

The lack of a "healer", haven't noticed it at all. Every class can do it's own healing if given a bit of time. It just works, if you're damaged, run away, let someone else take the heat for a while, change weapons and get back in there in a different role. Use your self heal, and let it recharge before daring into the melee brawl again. Annother good reason to find other people nearby and cling to them, they will go in and take the heat while you run a few trees away and rest up, and come back and help them out again.

So far I'm loving it, and I'm just running about at random exploring maps and doing events. I've done some story missions but mostly just ignored it for now, as I've been more interested in other things. I did particularly feel that the Norn town and starting was very well done, as a Norn character you almost felt at "home" there, as if your character really had grown up with all these other people. Humans town felt really impersonal, like you where really just one among many. The town looks great though, and really feel like a metropolis. And one thing I'm starting to really hate is the quick respawns, even right next to you. If you've fought a hard battle into a centaur camp, and is resting up for a minute gathering everyone again to push further in, they centaurs keeps respawning all around you. Makes for a slow and methodical game impossible. I really wish enemies didn't respawn within a certain distance of players, or at least rather spawned outside and moved back in so you could see them coming (as reinforcement). This makes the best sollution to ALL consentrationsof enemies, to group up with a bunch of others and BLITZKRIEG! kill and run forward, never stop and never look back.

Anyways rant off for today. Bed calls.
Raven

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reaching level... 20 ish, I just don't play. I find it boring. The players are just NPCs with erratic movement to me. No sense of group or feeling like you're part of something doing an event with a group of 8.

I stopped playing. I got so much more out of Eve Online just doing missions and listening to banter in local chat. I got more bull rushing through Diablo III over and over with two friends. I got more out of the campaign of Crysis 2 even though I polished it off in a day and don't remember most of it.

I need to stop buying MMOs or just go back to Eve. Even if it was spreadsheets and hotkeys at least there was a sense of belonging.

Scorpion Navy Issue
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I can see what you mean. There is no need to actually group in most of the game, you can just run along with someone else when you need more people. But to be honest I love just that. I never really see anyone actually talk to each others much.

I think an actual Guild might have solved allot of that, but I'm not exactly a prime guild person myself. So far I've joined an party exactly 4 times or so, only because me and buddies wanted to have a "group chat" instead of sending whisper messages. Never about playing together.

Oh well, whenever I can get Paul to join me, we can group together like we used to do in GW1, I really do enjoy playing these games with 1-2 others as a group.
Cyberman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, in GW2 happened to me what I've always heard as a complaint regarding GW1: Once I reached level 80, I thought "So, that's it?" and stopped playing.

For many reasons, I simply have no incentive to go on playing. I dislike the way combat works, and especially the haphazard way targetting works.

I absolute love the implicit grouping.

But when they announced they'd not allow cross-region guesting, I've finally lost all faith in the game.
Those few I know are spread around different servers - I like the server I'm on, and I don't intend to switch - so why can't I play with those I know?

Someone made a nice picture saying it all: http://i.imgur.com/VdKVo.jpg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: