OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FINALLY got around to finishing Battlegrounds...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CyberCat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: FINALLY got around to finishing Battlegrounds... Reply with quote

Huh, surprised my account is still here. Anyway not that I guess anyone will read this but I got a $1 copy of Battlegrounds on eBay probably 10 or so years ago and it's been sitting in my game library ever since. Finally got around to playing it this weekend and played through all the tournaments. In spite of the rough edges, dated graphics, and glaring grammatical errors (Wink) it was a bit of a nostalgic trip down memory lane. Definitely a fun sequel to the 90s title we all love. I guess these two games kind of have a special place in my heart from playing 2097 as a kid that came on Epic MegaGames floppy disks back in the day. Going over to friend's and trading all the secret moves we knew... (I can't be the only one, right?)

Not that you'll probably ever read this but thanks for the great games Rob and DE, it's been fun. Very Happy
Xaronth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss the game every now and then. The sound effects and feedback when smashing into an enemy was so satisfying.
"A thin line separates us. I call it 'talent'". -Ken Masters
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still like the concept and general idea of the game, but lost complete taste of it after all the changes in Limited Test that kept making the game slower and slower.

Unfortunately, I haven't really noticed anyone else picking up on this idea either. Ah well.
Socrates

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the speed of the game actually literally made slower directly? Or do you just mean that there were changes that led to slower gameplay?

I didn't start playing till build early 1900s. I did feel that most patches after that made the multiplayer game progressively worse Sad
killer_roach

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Socrates wrote:
Was the speed of the game actually literally made slower directly? Or do you just mean that there were changes that led to slower gameplay?

I didn't start playing till build early 1900s. I did feel that most patches after that made the multiplayer game progressively worse Sad

Both. The combo system was nerfed in the name of getting rid of infinites, ultimately slowing down combat, and the speed of the game was reduced over time. (The first betas played very quickly - not quite Guilty Gear or MvC speed, but not far removed.)

Personally, I would have preferred the faster speeds and then institute an air cancel system of sorts to be able to potentially break juggle combos at the expense of Focus, but clearly I was overruled.

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Malfrex
Ancient One

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real nerfing started when the Limited Test started up... not that I want to harp on the forum testers 10+ yrs. after they did so, but they had a narrow scope of what was possible with the game and DE heard complaints about infinite combos and just slowed things down. A few simple changes would have helped resolve it (ie. a stamina bar that would be reduced as combos were used, separate from the main stamina, air cancels,... many other options). However, like KR said they ignored the core testers and just listed to the people on the forums saying it wasn't fair. :/

They also ignored our suggestion to essentially scrap the story mode as the story was weak, with no flow or much logic to it... Myself, KR, and Spockmeat actually wrote up and started to impliment a better story mode loosely modeled on the stuff I wrote for Battlecast but they rejected it as the end goal would have required some additional work with people being able to align with the different factions.

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
i7 3770k (will OC @4.5Ghz)
2x8GB G.SKILL DDR3-2600
MSI 7970 3GB
Crucial M4 128GB
~10.9TB RAID 5 (4x 4TB)
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first tried the Limited Test build 1860, and even from that to about 1900 where I think I stopped playing, they really slowed it down. I never cared to much about the infinite combos and stuff, since I never got good enough to use any of that :) But simply got annoyed that the game got more and more sluggish. So yes entire game speed got change just in that short period, and I'm told that the older betas was even faster.

I'm not really a por-super-speed in games, but in this case I just think they had a decent/Good speed at 1860, that made the game fun. Then removed it. Perhaps a speed slider would have made it better ?
Socrates

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the detailed info. Sounds like it was fun.
General_Dingo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never got through the mastery tournaments, apart from the Warlord one.
I guess that serves me right for playing on the easier difficulties too often.
Evatt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I still haven't gotten around to finishing it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> The Game All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: