OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So... anyone paying attention to Guild Wars 2 ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyberman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Feels weird to resurrect a thread that isn't about OMF and where my last post was basically "Meh, no interest" since I'm now posting "hey, I play this again!")

I've recently started to play GW2 again, and this time I'm actually having fun.
Either it's because playing The Secret World (and then Secret World Legends) has somehow changed my perception of how it should work,
or it's because they actually changed a lot of things in GW2, and I find it much more palatable now.

Worth mentioning is the "Action cam" mode, where the camera follows your mouse without you pressing any keys. I'm used to it from SWL, now I use it in GW2 as well.

So, anyone else still playing GW2?
Or maybe someone thinking of playing again?

I couldn't put my finger on it, but I like it more now than before. Maybe it's because I had time to mentally separate it from Guild Wars 1.
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANet haven't changed that much essential stuff, the basic gameplay is still the same for all the same areas of the game etc. They've changed a good bit of things in the expansions though. A few QoL here and there, but honestly nothing that should affect the basic play.

The ActionCam can be nice, I haven't quite gotten used to it yet myself, but I often use it as a way to avoid having to hold down the right mouse button all the time. I usually play with the RMB held 90% of the time I play... (And I got used to the ActionCam style from BDO)

Yup, I still play it, thought a bit sporadically now. (Lot's of real life stuff that eats up my time, and sucks).

---

Regarding the getting used to differences between games. I had this with Age of Wonders 1 -> 2, where I tried the demo for AoW2, and just couldn't stand it, because it broke everything from AoW1, very different game. Then a bunch of years later I was thinking "Hmm, I wish I could play something like AoW1, but different.... AoW2, duuh!"

Another difference/change is the MegaServer, that probably happened after you left it. So now ALL NA servers plays together on the same maps etc in all PVE. And the same in EU for all EU servers. The only thing left that still uses the servers is WvW (World VS World VS World) mode, and even that might change this year.

You still can't guest between EU/NA, because of the datacenter limitation, though you can make a free F2P account and play on the other if you want to.
Cyberman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raptor wrote:
ANet haven't changed that much essential stuff, the basic gameplay is still the same for all the same areas of the game etc.

Hm. Then it's really mainly that I had time to cool down and learn to "correctly" read the game title:
"Guild-Wars-2", instead of "Guild-Wars: 2" Smile

Quote:
They've changed a good bit of things in the expansions though. A few QoL here and there, but honestly nothing that should affect the basic play.

In a fit of madness I bought both expansions, haven't tried them yet - I had to rebuy all the living world stuff, and am now playing Living World Season 2.
(The only part of the expansion is a small bit of Path of Fire, just to get rid of that annyoing popup telling me the Mastery is finished.)

Quote:
The ActionCam can be nice, I haven't quite gotten used to it yet myself, but I often use it as a way to avoid having to hold down the right mouse button all the time.

I think it's because for me it was a direct transition from SWL to GW2 - as in, one day I play SWL, the next GW2.

Quote:
Another difference/change is the MegaServer, that probably happened after you left it. So now ALL NA servers plays together on the same maps etc in all PVE. And the same in EU for all EU servers. The only thing left that still uses the servers is WvW (World VS World VS World) mode, and even that might change this year.

Good.
Certainly happened after I left - that was shortly after the launch.

Quote:
You still can't guest between EU/NA, because of the datacenter limitation, though you can make a free F2P account and play on the other if you want to.

I seriously want to slap whoever is responsible for that.
What annoys me most is that it doesn't even affect me - I hardly know anyone in the game, let alone on another continent, but in this day and age such a restriction is hard to explain by stupidity or technical problems. That reeks of malice...
Especislly since they KNEW that people will want to cross borders while playing...
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EU/NA divide is because of how the servers are structured in GW2, as opposed to GW1. The character and all info about it has to be stored on 1 server, and they've set up separate servers for EU and NA. You can transfer over between the two, and I "think" that is even automated (takes about 5-10 minutes).

But I guess it would create extra problems for them if people "transferred" back and forth constantly for free between EU/NA. (There are also transfer limits because of WvW). But with MegaServer, "guesting" is largely irrelevant in 99.9% of the time.

And obviously the reason for having separate EU and NA servers/datacenters is lag. I have both EU and NA account, and I do notice a difference. In as action based game as this, especially in the PVP modes (PvP/WvW), lag is a killer. As the only alternative is to have 1 datacenter in say NA, and every single EU player has to suck up the ping.

There is a reason why Australia players continually asks for a own separate Australia Server/DataCenter... Even if that means they'd be separated from the rest.

---

That said, I do miss the old International channel from GW1. Mostly because it made all the cities quiet, so I didn't have to see all the other people around.

And one thing that surprises me, why did you even care about this at launch ? At launch the guest function didn't work at all, so they "fixed" this by letting server transfers be completely free. At that time I just transferred back and forth between Eu and NA almost daily depending on who I wanted to play with (had friends in both that I played with).

So you actually played in the *1* time period where this was entirely irrelevant :p

Anyways, glad you enjoy it. Still love the game though I've played myself a little tired of most of it by now.

Large part of the reason is that I love the action combat. After bit under an hour of playing gw2, I knew I could never go back to GW1... I just can't go back to that combat ever again... (Even if there are still other things I like about GW1). So my *wild* dream, is to get GW1 (story, areas, world, difficulty, vanquish-mode, etc) remade in GW2 (combat, classes/characters, etc).
Cyberman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raptor wrote:
The EU/NA divide is because of how the servers are structured in GW2, as opposed to GW1.

I don't doubt that - but that's not a natural law, is it? Someone decided to do it this way.

Quote:
And obviously the reason for having separate EU and NA servers/datacenters is lag.

Maybe that is why they decided to do this, but I'd rather they have said "You can play on the other server, but be aware there will likely be lag that we can't do anything about".
I'm all for warning people about an impending wall, but I don't like being restrained when standing in front of that wall, just because I might start running into it...

Quote:
And one thing that surprises me, why did you even care about this at launch ?

That's one of my more annoying oddities - I often care about the principle of things. (Not all the time, strangely.)
It didn't affect me then, it doesn't affect me now - but I saw many on the forums who were affected, and since it's something that was possible in GW1, and we were even told it'd be possible in GW2, only to find out it's intentionally impossible, I was quite angered about it.

Like I said - that was an intentional design decision. And that bothers me, because I didn't see a good reason then or now (lag is a good explanation, but it still isn't enough of a reason IMO).

Quote:
Anyways, glad you enjoy it. Still love the game though I've played myself a little tired of most of it by now.

I'm having fun, although I am so bad that most of the story content is quite difficult for me - I hope it gets better after season 2.
I like the story, though, and the area is still nice, even if I only glance at it, a background that is merely glanced at still is an important part.

One thing that can't be overstated, IMO, which I absolute love about GW2, is the implicit grouping.
No need to arrange groups and discuss this or that, rearrange or whatever.
"Here's a big baddie - come one, come all!" is sufficient. Everyone can take a shot and will get a part of the rewards.

In the few other MMOs I've played, I'm always wary of attacking something someone else is attacking already. I'm waiting to see if they can handle it, and if so walk away, because I don't want to take something away from them.

Recently I was part of a larger event against some Mordremoth(?) super boss. I was abysmally bad, but I'm quite sure it didn't much matter because no one was relying on me other than being there and trying to do damage.
It takes away a LOT of pressure if you're just part of a mob that decides to attack an enemy, instead of playing a specific role where it is essential that you act like a human robot, following a predefined script using predefined gear/skills.

Quote:
Large part of the reason is that I love the action combat.

Did you ever try Secret World Legends?
I'm not sure if the combat is similar, but I enjoy both, though I enjoyed SWL combat a bit more.

Quote:
So my *wild* dream, is to get GW1 (story, areas, world, difficulty, vanquish-mode, etc) remade in GW2 (combat, classes/characters, etc).

I wouldn't say no to that.

Whenever I'm in Ascalon in GW2, I try to see the resemblance to GW1, but I usually fail to see any Sad
250 years + Dragons rising does change the world...
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add my account so you can add to friend list:

NA: joneirikb.7506
EU: Thagdarf.1520

I usually play most on my NA account (guildies and friends from NA side etc). Most of my EU friends abandoned me for other games! I also made a guild named "World Aeronautic Robotics" [WAR] if any OMF'ers wants to join ;) upgraded a couple of things, but I'm allergic to grinding so don't expect a full uppgraded guild hall (got the scribe station for easy bank access, that's the furthest I got).

I'm a bit pressed for time in real life nowadays, so don't have much time to play/plan/organize stuff. Otherwise I'd offer to play with and help. Hopefully when things calm down a bit for me (probably sometime during late spring).
Cyberman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raptor wrote:
I also made a guild named "World Aeronautic Robotics" [WAR] if any OMF'ers wants to join Wink upgraded a couple of things, but I'm allergic to grinding so don't expect a full uppgraded guild hall (got the scribe station for easy bank access, that's the furthest I got).

Nice name - reminds me of something, I just can't put my finger on it... Very Happy

I am debating for some time now if I should join a guild. I did create one for me, but it's empty and I don't think anyone knows where the name is from...
(Named after an old comic book and the naming scheme of the squads therein - Warheads Gewra Troop [WHGT])

I can't check right now as I'm at work - are Guilds cross-server? If so, I'd like to join.
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guilds are cross just about everything, except different versions of the game. So the Chinese can't join a guild in EU/NA, nor the other way around. But other than that, all of EU and NA can join the same guilds.

And yeah, it's pretty quiet, got a few members, most of them various omf'ers, one or two friends of mine just for simplicity :p I don't bother recruiting and stuff like that, so it's just a quiet convenience really ;)

Anyways, I do recommend you to branch out and find some friendly guild to join (other than sleepy little WAR ofc), it does improve the game a good bit.

The more I play the game myself, the more I'm starting to dislike the very same dynamic grouping system that I so loved when I first started playing it. It encourages too much to play "solo" or semi solo, and not really encouraging socializing and playing with other people. Looking back at other MMO games I've played, the best moments are always when playing with other people to accomplish something, and everyone giving their best. And not a single "solo" moment.

I actually feel that Guild Wars 2 is the least social MMO game I've ever played (close contender is BDO though).

World vs World solved that for me though, and I've probably spent more time playing that than anything else in the game. But been getting fed up with that as well lately, because of a whole pack of design problems. Honestly most tempted by dungeons and fractals now, but those are kinda hard to solo ;)
Cyberman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raptor wrote:
I actually feel that Guild Wars 2 is the least social MMO game I've ever played (close contender is BDO though).

Yes, I see what you mean.
GW2 doesn't encourage you to seek friends, because everyone can be an ally.
OTOH, that can work out nicely, IMO, as there is little drawback to group up informally and just chat.

I used to play Eve Online - in a way it forces you to seek close allies, but not strangers.

Personally, I'm not good at finding people to group up with :-/
Which is why I like the implicit grouping in GW2 - no need to even talk much :-/

raptor wrote:
EU: Thagdarf.1520

I've added you as a friend - apparently I can'T see the NA account...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: