OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MTB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvereb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: MTB Reply with quote

Hey all. You should get into mountain biking if you haven't already. It's fun. That's about all I got. I needed a new post here, and this is all... I've... got.

Yes, at this point it's pretty late in the season.

No, you won't be able to find any bikes in the stores.

Yes, it's just like riding a bike - you'll pick it right back up.

fun fun. Back to work, I suppose. Wink
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww.... And here I was hoping I didn't have to dust off the forum this week either.

*grumbles as he goes back to sweeping*
Raven

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: MTB Reply with quote

I've put some miles on my Trek this year but haven't seen more riders than usual. I know bikes are the new hotness but it seems like everyone is buying and no one is riding locally.

Scorpion Navy Issue
Malfrex
Ancient One

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had a bike in a decade... first due to my bike falling into disrepair (at the time it was already 20 yrs in and used a lot), then just not buying a replacement as my daughter was ~6 months and the storage at our place being filled with baby crap. My younger daughter finally started to ride her bike with 2 wheels, so next year will likely be when I get around to picking up a bike again. I'll probably see what I can get via a police auction though as decent new bikes are bloody expensive.

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
i7 3770k (will OC @4.5Ghz)
2x8GB G.SKILL DDR3-2600
MSI 7970 3GB
Crucial M4 128GB
~10.9TB RAID 5 (4x 4TB)
dvereb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malfrex wrote:
[...] as decent new bikes are bloody expensive.

You're absolutely right on that one. I bought a Walmart bike around March hoping it'd get me through the year and I could figure out whether or not I enjoyed it. Turns out I enjoyed it so much that I already broke the darn think by July. So then I went and picked up a Trek bike as I heard they're pretty sturdy and will last a long time. I thought it was crazy that I was spending so much on a bike, but it still doesn't even cost half of what other people consider "entry level." And then, if you really hate having money, you can jump up to a full suspension bike.

Malfrex wrote:
I'll probably see what I can get via a police auction though [...]

I've read in a few places that there was a point in recent years where the bike manufacturers paid more attention to the geometry of the bike and made some serious improvements. If I were you, I'd try to keep it somewhat newer (past 5 years or so) if you can. Obviously, though, to some extent a bike is a bike is a bike. If you're out riding it's better than sitting around waiting for just the right thing to show up at just the right price.
Raven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvereb wrote:
... as I heard they're pretty sturdy and will last a long time. I thought it was crazy that I was spending so much on a bike, but it still doesn't even cost half of what other people consider "entry level."

I've had mine for 7 years and several thousand miles. The tires and cabling might be nearing the end of their life but so far it's only needed chains and cassettes. That's a great maintenance record for a $700 bike. I have the no-longer-made Wahoo 29" mountain bike.
I once read somewhere that the average walmart bike is made to last the average number of miles it's ridden - which happens to be between 25 and 30 miles.

Malfrex: If the police auction doesn't work consider bikesdirect.com. You have to build them yourself but overall they're at a good price to performance ratio and there's more selection than you can shake a stick at. The used market seems to be pretty abysmal right now, and you may have to grit your teeth a little and pre-order a month in advance or constantly scour the markets to fit your needs.

Scorpion Navy Issue
dvereb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
which happens to be between 25 and 30 miles.

This sounds 100% accurate, and it perfectly fits the description of my Walmart bike. I'm just glad the guy working the counter didn't care in the slightest and gave me a full refund without me having to argue my point. I'm about 160 miles in on my new one and loving every minute of it. Just two days ago I even got it off the ground a bit. I probably only jumped half an inch, but it felt like I went flying!
Malfrex
Ancient One

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Raven"]
dvereb wrote:
If the police auction doesn't work consider bikesdirect.com.

Checked them out, but it doesn't look like getting them to Canada results in saving much vs our local direct sales companies. For a decent bike I'm looking at $1500 "entry" price, which hurts just a bit, since I'd be wanting to get a bike for my wife as well. Hopefully we can get something at an auction for a more reasonable price. I don't plan to do any hard riding, at least until my girls get better at biking.

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
i7 3770k (will OC @4.5Ghz)
2x8GB G.SKILL DDR3-2600
MSI 7970 3GB
Crucial M4 128GB
~10.9TB RAID 5 (4x 4TB)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: