OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GeForce 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gamefoo21

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: GeForce 4 Reply with quote

a friend of mine who sits there and wastes money on hardware and he tells me all about how the stuff works. and the geforce 4 is nothing really new. 63 million transistors (only 3 million more than GeForce3. bah they just made the chip a bit bigger. and anyway i have never had any problems from my ati card and my friend as above swears by them. and i really only see any problems coming up on ppl's machines that don't take care of them and don't forget alot prob's also happen when you push the card to its max thats why nvidia always limits how much there drivers can do so they can get the higher running code down first. so no one ever see's the driver glitches. and thats about it for me. so really if you don't push the envelope for games the ati should handle it.
Xinthos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: GeForce 4 Reply with quote

you all gonna get top-o-the-line cards and where will i be? WHERE YOU ASK?! STILL STUCK WITH THIS GOOD FOR NOTHING PEICE OF S*** ELSA ERAZOR X THAT SCREWS MY COMPUTER EVERY TIME I SHUT DOWN MY INTERNET EXPLORER OR MY OUTLOOK EXPRESS!!! *starts to take apart his computer* now...exuse me while i disassemble this....abomination...and melt it...incinerate it...then..im gonna throw it in the garbage grinder...thing..no wait thats too good for it..i know! ill give it to my friend's dog, that dog is always ripping stuff up...so i guess he'll have fun with this poor excuse for technology...hehe...

------------------
i cant stand it any longer...the void has come....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: GeForce 4 Reply with quote

what?? the lowest i can find for a gf2 mx400 right now is $124.. and you're saying that you could've got one for $56 in august??

hmmm....

[This message has been edited by Plugo2K (edited 02-12-2002).]
XP Home, DirectX 9.0c, ADSL
Proud Beta Tester of The First On-Line 3D Fighting Game that is trying really hard not to suck.
Thanatos

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: GeForce 4 Reply with quote

I really don't want something top-of-the-line (price issues) but at least something that can run OMF:BG (isn't that every one's goal on this board?) That and the New Blizzard stuff (Warcraft III, Starcraft II if it ever comes out) That and any other cool games coming out. But $50 for GeForce 2? THat would be one sweet deal. I'll have to start scanning computer store ads. Thanks for the help.
"Until and unless you discover that money is the root of all good, you ask for your own destruction. When money ceases to be the tool by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of men. Blood, whips and guns-or dollars. Take your choice-there is no other-and your time is running out."
-Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
1nfern0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: GeForce 4 Reply with quote

I have a few reactions...

1. 56-bit color is comming...
2. With a TNT or TNT2 you won't get anywhere near 30 fps in games like Max Payne on a normal resolution of 1024x768x32. I know 1024x768x32x4xFSAA runs on my system, which obviously is not needed for "normal" people ( ), but a TNT2 won't even run 1024x768x32 with a normal FPS (GF2 GTS + P3-733 even has trouble running that at the end). T&L is definetly important these days... a TNT just won't do anymore...

Looking at games like Doom 3, not even a GF2 Ultra can manage 40 fps, so with a TNT/TNT2 you're gonna be history... And I think this will be the engine of the future... When I look at the Unreal Engine... it probably gets worse, seeing that UT runs @ 60fps and Q3 @ over 100...

So I do think those OEM people are definetly have a problem if they try to play a game next year... (it's like the friggin ATi mach 64 2mb my parents got in their OEM in the Voodoo 1/2 period...)
killer_roach

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: GeForce 4 Reply with quote

Just a side thought... isn't the TNT2 now five years old? And it's still considered the baseline for 3D graphics? Now I see why games like Unreal 2 and Doom 3 aren't coming out until late this year... because they consider the GF3 as the baseline, and will thrash just about anything else (Legend says Unreal2 can run with a TNT2, but that would be something I'd have to see to believe). I'd say two of the next big GPU pushers coming along right now, though, are Fishtank's Arx Fatalis (due out in April, looks pretty sw33t) and Epic's UT2 (shooting for a May release, also quite the nice-looking game there).

------------------
"Good artists copy. Great artists steal." - Pablo Picasso

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
killer_roach

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: GeForce 4 Reply with quote

Remember, Alexander, EA said that you could run NHL 2002 on a P2 266 and a TNT card. That game runs kinda choppy on my old system (P3 933, 256MB PC100, GF2 Pro). To run it at minimal options, you really need a low-end P3 and a GeForce, Radeon, or Kyro II card.

Unreal 2 has tentative system requirements of a P2 450 and a TNT2. However, to get the most out of that game, I'd say be prepared with a P3 800 and a GF2 at the minimum, and a 1.3 GHz Athlon or 1.7GHz P4 and a GF3/4 for optimal performance. It's that sorta sliding scale...

------------------
"Good artists copy. Great artists steal." - Pablo Picasso

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Alexander de Large

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: GeForce 4 Reply with quote

Legend says TNT2 for what?! hahahaha yeah, right, sure. It better not.
alanm26

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: GeForce 4 Reply with quote

<A HREF="http://www.priceline.com" TARGET=_blank>www.priceline.com</A>

I bought a geforce 2 MX400 with tv out for 80 bucks including shipping costs last fall. In the local gamestop (which is usually reasonably priced), the card was $120
WinXP Pro
Cable Internet
1nfern0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: GeForce 4 Reply with quote

*agrees with killer_roach...

All games SAY they can run on such low specs, but try running max payne on a P2-450 + TNT1 (16MB) + 96MB RAM (minimum requirements) and you'll see the game is:
a. Ugly (640x480x16 LQ)
b. Slow (less than 30 fps)
c. no fun

Just had to say this
[peer]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: GeForce 4 Reply with quote

I'm surprised it even ran on my friend's 333MHz, 16mb voodoo3, 64MB ram..

Which isn't to say it "ran" so much as "crawled," but we had some mad playage with it. At 10fps, 6x4x16.

------------------
[peer]
"I couldn't think of anything stupid, so I put something dumb instead."
--Khalal

Windows XP Professional
AMD AthlonXP 1800+, 1.53 GHz
192 MB SDRAM
ASUS V8440 GeForce4 Ti4400 with 128MB VRAM
ADSL
Microsoft SideWinder Gamepad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> The Game All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: