OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ntkern.vxd

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 4:27 pm    Post subject: Ntkern.vxd Reply with quote

This file is the only thing keeping me from overclocking my PC to an additional 50 megahertz, which will set this thing at a full 250 MHz. So my question is, what is C:\windows\system\vmm32\ntkurn.vxd and what does it do? I've disabled it right now and all the windows open up in seperate windows- it's the only difference I see.

Scorpion Navy Issue
Raven

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Ntkern.vxd Reply with quote

Wow, 50 MHZ makes a huge difference. I can hardly believe so little does so much. Winamp is faster, I haven't had it lock up once; I load one program and nothing else stops! Wow! Even flash works right for once!

EDIT: Right now I've got an MP3, Aphelion, running. Trillan and Opera with two windows are running along side it. I haven't seen one skip so far. It's like the difference between newer and older PCs is right around the 225 MHz mark. If I had pop up windows enabled in Opera, I bet even those would come up faster!

[This message has been edited by Raven (edited 02-06-2002).]

Scorpion Navy Issue
Fujiwara_Bunta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ntkern.vxd Reply with quote

the joy of overclocking
and this file might be messing up 'cuz it's detecting an instability in the system.... which OS are ya running? (win98 is prolly the most sensitive to o/c) I got an old P200 o/c to 250 right now.... to make it stable, you gotta up the voltage a tiny bit.... x.O
ATI Radeon VE
SBLive! Value
Windows XP Professional
77GB Total HD Space (one 17GB and one 60GB)
Yamaha 8824E CD-R/W
Syrion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Ntkern.vxd Reply with quote

NTkern?

If you're running NT it sounds like the core of windows. "kern" might be the kernell, the main file on which an OS runs.
Cyberman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Ntkern.vxd Reply with quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
...I've disabled it right now and all the windows open up in seperate windows- it's the only difference I see.

How do you disable a file? By deleting it? Or do you remove all references from registry, so Windows 'forgets' this file.

NOTE: I do not know WinNT - I only know Win9X, so there may be functions I didnīt see yet.
Ori Klein

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Ntkern.vxd Reply with quote

250mhz? sheesh, y're running on quite old machine.

A side project game that may never finish. Wink
Raven

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Ntkern.vxd Reply with quote

<MSDOS>
C:>cd\windows\system\vmm32\
C:\windows\system\vmm32>ren ntkern.vxd ntkern_.vxd
</MSDOS>

That's how you change it. I'm still a little worried about how hot it's getting.

Scorpion Navy Issue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> The Game All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: