OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tips for newcommers to the game

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Retail Bug Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mordax

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:27 am    Post subject: Tips for newcommers to the game Reply with quote

I have noticed a few things that seem to be frustrating alot of you, so here are some tips for solving them

If a you are blocking, and a player is hitting your block repeatedly, try to counter (Right Punch+Right Kick OR Left Punch+Left Kick)

Similarly, if you find yourself hitting a player who his blocking, back away before they use a counter

If a player is running towards you over a long distance, he will probably attack you, there are 2 ways you can deal with this, the first is to Counter, this will probably reverse the hit, however it doesnt always work, the second is to start a hit of your own before he can launch his, however some skilled players will expect this, and use a Counter instead

"All that whacked out stuff you all do" as it is commonly refered to is a combo, a combo is hitting people lots of times before they have the ability to react

Finding combos can be difficult, but to help with this I have compiled a list of 2, 2-hit starter combos for each bot, except for Force and Warlord who are just beyond me, maybe someone could fill in

Chronos:
Left Punch, Right Punch
(Very Close) Left Kick, Right Kick

Force:
Forwards+Right Kick, Left Kick
[Space left to edit in combo]

Gargoyle:
Left Kick, Right Kick
Right Punch, Left Kick

Jaguar:
Right Punch, Left Kick
Forwards+Right Punch, Left Punch

Katana:
Right Kick, (While In Air) Left Kick
Left Kick, (While In Air) Left Punch

Mantis:
Left Kick, (While In Air) Left Punch
Right Punch, Left Punch

Pyros:
Left Kick, (While In Air) Right Punch
Right Kick, Right Punch

Warlord:
[Space Left to edit in combo]
[Space Left to edit in combo]

Go into Practice with you chosen bot, and first try to get used to one of the combos stated here, once you can do the combo, try to use another move immediatly after the second, carry on repeating this until you find one that hits, if a message pops up saying "3-Hit combo" you know you have gotten it right

Now repeat the process, try to find another move that hits right afterwards, dont be afraid to use Specials and Supers, if you realy cant find one, go back to the 2-Hit combo and find another move that links and base it off that

Through repetition of this process, you can build up a long combo, such that you might see the testers like Me, TUF, Magnifico, Nina, Player or Eatme use, you will want to get to know several of these combos

If you have a head for memorising huge pre-made combos (unlike me) Player, Magnifico and TUF are probably the people to ask (correct me if im wrong)

Here are some general tips for fighting against each bot:

Chronos:
If you see a chronos Teleport indicator aproch you, and dont know where it has come from, then the best thing to do is Evade to one side repeatedly
If you see the Chronos charge the teleport, and he sits down, then Blocking is the best thing to do, since this leaves him open for one of your combos

Force:
Try not to use air moves as Force will take advantage of this
If you know a Force is there, but havnt seen him for some time, always go after him, especialy if he is collecting energy
If Force uses a Black Hole, turn and run in the opposit direction
If a Force Vortex is nearby, do not jump or use an arial move

Gargoyle:
If Gargoyle is in flight, the best thing to use is a projectile, Vortex or Fly Drone

Jaguar:
If you block a Jaguar Leap, combo immediatly
If a Jaguar leaps into the air, there are 2 things he could do
1) Leap towards you, if Jaguar is a medium distance away, Block or Counter
2) Overhead Throw, If Jaguar is above you, use a Backflip
If Jaguar starts to charge a Concussion Cannon (Blue) or Laser (Orange) then begin to evade in one direction and keep going, same with the supers
If Jaguar hits you with a Super Concussion Cannon, counter on the 3rd hit

Katana:
If Katana holds both blades together, she is using Sonic Blade, just block it and carry on
Razor Spin can be easely stopped with any projectile used quickly

Mantis:
Mantis's Fly drones can be dodged by ducking
Mantis's Spider drones can be dodged by jumping
If Mantis uses Super Sipider Ball then evade in the opposit direction and keep going
If Mantis uses a long slidekick towards you, he is using a Combo Slam, dodge this at all cost

Pyros:
If Pyros charges a Super Fireball, use any projectile, or Jaguar Leap at him if too close to dodge
If you here a rumble, accompanied by a red glow, try to evade anywhere
If a super fireball is on the move and is too close to dodge, try to counter it
If Pyros starts a Super FireSpin use any projectile
If you are under a Super FireSpin stand still, dont do anything
If Pyros is spamming normal fireballs at you, just press the counter buttons and give him what for

Warlord:
Due to his slow turning, warlord is easy to evade around, if you evade from warlord, feel free to combo to your harts content
If warlord charges at you, run around to his back
If warlord has 2 mace arms and charges a super, just evade once and laugh at him

Tips for using some of the bots:

Chronos:
Start combos with blue crystals

Force:
If someone is at the side of you, use a red repulser in that direction
If Jaguar gets anywhere near you, use a repulser and run

Jaguar:
You have a semi-hidden special move called Overhead Throw
Try jumping and presing both Punch buttons, you should do a little flip thing, this is Overhead Throw
Try doing this while over the Training Pilot, it may take some time to get right

Mantis:
If Pyros is using Super Fire Spin, your Super Fly Drones are the best counter
Lots of Spiders can lag peoples PCs, it is courtous to detonate any leftover spiders from a ball, to do this press both Kick buttons
If you use a Spider or Fly drone, be sure to stand away when it hits

Pyros:
If people are close by and infront of you, Super Flamethrower is better to use then Super FireBall
Your heavy arial punches are in my veiw the best in the game
mrsiezen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for newcommers to the game Reply with quote

Good work Mordax :thumbsup:.

As I will be a n00b again in the full game (when I get it), this will be helpfull.
Cable up/down 128/768! Yesss upgraded again!

[color="red"]Pro re-release!!![/color]
NightShadow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for newcommers to the game Reply with quote

Force
One: Forward+Left Punch, Left Punch
Two: Left Punch, (While in air) Forward+Left Kick

Warlord
One: Forward+Left Kick, Forward+Right Punch
Two: Forward+Right Kick, Forward+Right Punch
(May be able to use regular right punch instead of forward right punch, would be more damaging but I don't know if it's fast enough)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spockmeat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for newcommers to the game Reply with quote

aw, you think warlord is easy to beat? Find me in game some time. I may be around later tonight, so stop by the IRC channel. If I'm around I'd be happy to pummel you with my warlord Smile

Blind patriotism
Ithon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for newcommers to the game Reply with quote

nice, very nice for the newbies too
Socrates

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for newcommers to the game Reply with quote

warlords hardest for me to beat =(
Cyberfrog

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for newcommers to the game Reply with quote

Nice little guide this :thumbsup:

Quote:
Pyros:
If Pyros charges a Super Fireball, use any projectile, or Jaguar Leap at him if too close to dodge

If someone is charging a Super Fireball while I'm practically in their face (not a good idea btw, but sometimes done by mistake), I prefer to simply duck (Evade key). The Super Fireball will then fly over you Smile.
eengoedemorgen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for newcommers to the game Reply with quote

Or counter it...... btw, hitting a Pyros while charging will make it explode, and this damage you too, and get you out of range...

Electronic Gaming Machine
NightShadow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for newcommers to the game Reply with quote

Unless you counter the explosion, there is a brief pause between when the Pyros gets hit and the explosion. I've used this to my advantage at least once :p.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheUnknownFactor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for newcommers to the game Reply with quote

woot.. thats like too fast.. to counter.. ur evil... im telling ya.. Vex would call you a cheater (if you were only in a clan) :p

All errors in spelling and grammer are entirely by design in order to enrage those who have nothing left to add to the discussion and therefore seek superiority through personal attacks.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Retail Bug Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: