OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dedicated Servers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> LANs, Clans, and Cafes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnonT

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Dedicated Servers Reply with quote

Clan Elite is talking to a few companies that host dedicated gaming servers about setting one up for OMF. Right now, it looks like the price for an 8 player server would be about $50-60/month; however, if we can find another clan who wants to host a server with the same people, they've offered to do two 8 player servers for about $30/month each. So, if any of the clans out there, or just any players with a lot of OMF friends, would like to set up a dedicated server, please contact me or GhostCow. If you can't afford an 8 player server, or your clan is smaller, we can probably get a 4 or 6 player server for $15-$25/month instead.

Also, a few questions for the OMF team on this:
Currently, for hosting a dedicated server, it requires the pc we run it on to have a 3d accelerator. Is there any way you could set up a separate .exe with simpler graphics specifically for hosting a dedicated server?
Will the hosting company have to own a copy of the game in order to run dedicated servers? Will they have to own one copy for each server (if they end up being run on separate comps)? Many games give away a separate program that only works to host servers, and if they can do just a dedicated server setup that doesn't need the cd, it would help them keep server prices low.
Also, what specs do the ilan servers run on? Just wondering as far as what hosting plan to go with.
Zelig

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Dedicated Servers Reply with quote

IIRC DE was going to sell dedicated servers, you might want to email Wayne about it.

Much of the stuff installed with OMF isn't needed for dedicated servers, I have a much stripped down install without much of the stuff that isn't needed.
AnonT

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Dedicated Servers Reply with quote

By DE selling servers, do you mean they'd like rent/sell us an ilan server? 'Cause that would be sucky. We want a decent, quality server.
If you mean they'd sell the software to set up a server, then as long as it's less than the full game, that should be fine.
Zelig

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Dedicated Servers Reply with quote

Yeah, they'd rent a server, don't know how the quality would be though.
Wayne Frazee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Dedicated Servers Reply with quote

You would want to talk to ECGN. East Coast Gaming Network is who we work with for dedicated servers at the moment. They already know how to update servers and how to run them as dedicated with the renderer disabled.

There is a knowledge base article on this subject actually. In future, it is planned so that the CD is not required to run a dedicated server as it presently is. Its already planned to be fixed so when the mode is dedicatedserver it doesnt look for the CD. At present, that is broke so each corporate host that hosts OMFBG servers we currently have to work with to work around the CD check and to help them get the dedicated servers running.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Oak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Dedicated Servers Reply with quote

Since when did Wayne become a samurai?
veryorkish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Dedicated Servers Reply with quote

Something tells me that Wayne doesn't need a sword to protect himself... Iirc Samurai were the guardians of royalty. (aka. Secret Service) I could be wrong though...
AnonT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Dedicated Servers Reply with quote

Having seen ECGN's prices, I don't think we'll be going with them. When you have a fix for dedicated servers, let us know; also, they'd host a linux server for less than a windows server, since the faq says you're planning to add the ability to run dedicated linux servers at some point, it would be nice to see.
robusa80

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Dedicated Servers Reply with quote

Quote:

I wonder if wayne liked the movie the last samurai
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Dedicated Servers Reply with quote

Quote:

he's not a samurai! he's a bouncer!

Leader of the Forgotten Clan
Laptop Bunny Stats
()_() Mobility Radeon HD 5870
( ._.) Intel Core i7 1.6GHz (720QM)
((")(") 8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64Bit
ShadowFire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Dedicated Servers Reply with quote

mae wayne is visiting japan, and for now is a samurai?

P4 LGA775 3.4 Prescott
Nvidia 6800GT
4x512 mb dual channel 400mhz ram
2x250 GB SATA Drives
Realtek AC97 Built in 6.1 Sound
Gigabit Lan
8xUSB 2.0
3x120mm fans w/ fan control
DFI LANparty 875P-T

Zelig

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Dedicated Servers Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder if wayne liked the movie the last samurai

Yes, he said he liked it, in the thread about it.
Y2K_MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Dedicated Servers Reply with quote

so back on topic, anyone interested in a server?
GhostCow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Dedicated Servers Reply with quote

help us to help you to help us! :thumbsup:
NightShadow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Dedicated Servers Reply with quote

Thread resurrection alert! Sad post alert! I do apologize.

I would love to ask if any of those dedicated server plans will ever see the light of day, but I think I already know the answer. :sweat2:

Sometimes I rather wish I were rich, so I would be in a position to help DE much more than I currently can. Such ambitious plans for this game, but couldn't follow through due to lack of funds. Saddens me whenever I think about it.

Maybe I should stop going through old threads for today, eh?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> LANs, Clans, and Cafes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: