OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any way to disable GameSpy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Retail Bug Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coandco

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Any way to disable GameSpy? Reply with quote

Quote:
Ok, I had a similar problem some time ago that was related to using the internet while the shared connection was... messed up, I can't get more specific because it was intermittent and I can't reproduce it reliably, just disconnecting the shared connection doesn't do it. Anyway, when I was trying to debug this I found out the operating system (in this case, Win2K) was simply stalling and there was no way I could figure out to fix or avoid it. Not great news if that?s the problem that you?re having, but if you don?t mind trying I?d love for you to try disabling your shared connection services completely and see if it works, that could help us hunt down a solution to the problem and perhaps be a temp fix for you.

Hi!
Hey, I just tried disabling my ICS... and it worked! No more freezes in the middle of the game! Anything else you want me to do to further pin down the problem?

Clint Olson
co-n-co at olsonnetwork dot com
Oh, you mean *this* key?
System Specs
ShadowFire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Any way to disable GameSpy? Reply with quote

ics?

nat????

im sorta lost what are those?

P4 LGA775 3.4 Prescott
Nvidia 6800GT
4x512 mb dual channel 400mhz ram
2x250 GB SATA Drives
Realtek AC97 Built in 6.1 Sound
Gigabit Lan
8xUSB 2.0
3x120mm fans w/ fan control
DFI LANparty 875P-T

robusa80

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Any way to disable GameSpy? Reply with quote

Here's a basic over view of ICS and NAT. You can check out "How NAT Works" and PracticallyNetworked for more info on each subject.

ICS or Internet Connection Sharing allows you to share a single connection (cable, dsl, or dialup) with all of your computers on your network. They have to be on the 192.168.0.0 network (private class C). It requires one or two NICs depending on what you use to connect to the Internet with. If you use a modem, then you only need one NIC. If you use cable or dsl then you need two NICs.

NAT or Network Address Translator, is like ICS but its a lot better then ICS. I dont remember if you can use modems with NAT. Most companies (and even home users) use NAT since its cheaper then getting IP addresses for all of their computers to access the Internet. With NAT you can have 1 or more IP addresses that can access the Internet and still have 100+ computers on your network. NAT offers more security and you are not forced to use the private class C range your inside of your network.

They both are easy to setup. They both allow you to use one IP address to many computers. ICS does have problems with online games. They both separate your network and the outside world. NAT and ICS is the reason why the world hasnt run out of IP addresses (yet). Soon (in the next couple of years) IPv6 will come out and it will solve all the problems we had with IPv4.

ICS comes with Win 2000 and higher (Win98 requires a download from MS). The only way to have NAT is either with hardware (like a linksys router) or with server OS from MS, Novell, or Linux. NAT is better with online games. I use it at home and my college uses it as well.
coandco

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Any way to disable GameSpy? Reply with quote

Quote:
ICS comes with Win 2000 and higher (Win98 requires a download from MS).

Well, not 98SE... I'm running ICS on Win98SE right out of the box. However, I'm seriously thinking of switching, because it doesn't allow you to forward ports. Any recommendations for a better NAT service? If there's nothing that runs on Windows, I'll just shift my connection to a dedicated Linux box.

Clint Olson
co-n-co at olsonnetwork dot com
Oh, you mean *this* key?
System Specs
rob2687

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Any way to disable GameSpy? Reply with quote

i use Kerio Winroute.. its pretty simple and easy to set up.
FelixKatz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Any way to disable GameSpy? Reply with quote

There is a little confusion here about NAT and ICS. NAT is a specific networking function and ICS is a program that amoung other things is doing NAT. So I'll start by explaining NAT. At the most basic level, NAT takes the packets of data going to or from one or more of your computers and changes the address fields of the internal computer(s) in the appropriate address fields in the packet. NAT needs to keep a table of all the translations it has applied.
For example, suppose a computer on your network has an address of 10.214.12.15 and sends data from port 200 to some computer on the internet. Whatever device is doing the NAT (Windows computer running ICS, router, home built firewall, ... ) is connected to the internet and has an address assigned (for example 203.204.205.206). The NAT box will make repace the address in the packet to 203.204.205.206. The NAT will likely also replace the port number with some number not currently in use. The NAT program will update it's inbternal table to record the address and port translation so that incoming packets are modified to return to the correct machine and port.

There are two basic benefits to this.
1) Multiple computers can be on your network and the NAT will make them appear to the Internet as a single computer, in fact they will all look like the computer that is doing the NAT.
2) Because the real IP address of the machines are not available to the Internet, it is difficult to access one of these machines from the Internet unless some software from inside the network makes the first connection (and therefore puts the address translation in the tables used by NAT). NAT implies that the software is working as a router because it route data from one network (the internet) to your internal network. A router on the other hand does not imply that NAT is being used (the Internet is full of routers that hand the data over between networks while trying to get the data to it's destination).

ICS is primarilly working as a router that uses NAT. I have never used ICS so I don't know it's configuration but I would expect that it also supplies DHCP. This is the function where on a computer on the network, the network IP address is NOT manually assigned but instead a request is made across the network for an IP address for the computer.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Retail Bug Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: