OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unigine V0.3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ithon

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Unigine V0.3 Reply with quote

well of coarse someone else can do the dirty work for ya. Although there are things that OpenGL can do that Direct3D can't. But I wonder what effects OpenGL does right now that Direct3D can't?
BTY people do HDR differently on there engines like whats coming for HL2 and what in Doom3 and unreal3, so my other question is, what are you doing with HDR that makes your engine unquie?
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/sdk_home.html (for those who don'nt know what HDR can look like, the link to the vid is there, but some other cool stuff is there as well)

What matters more in deciding on weither to use DirectX or OpenGL is about the "razzle dazzle". Like in the play Chicago.

Edit: ok now I get it, I did'nt understand, but this helped me out a lot IntroductionToGPU.pdf
salem

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Unigine V0.3 Reply with quote

Hmm, interesting, i'll take a red when i have time Smile
Discomb

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Unigine V0.3 Reply with quote

Quote:
Hmm, interesting, i'll take a red when i have time Smile

Take the blue pill Wink

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Unigine V0.3 Reply with quote

Although I'm sure there are things that OpenGL and D3D can do that the other can't, there aren't going to be that many. Reason I like D3D more is it seems far more consistent, and better with HLSL support, which is what I think matters. OpenGL may have a few extra things it can do, but often they utilize extensions that arenít well supported across platforms, which of course breaks the cross platform concept and ultimately makes the system good for demos but not so much for games (just my opinion, Iím sure OpenGL fanatics will have the opposite view). Anyway, like I said I see no reason to work on an OpenGL version myself, the cross platform thing is nice, but also something Iíd likely never utilize so itís not a factor. D3D is serving me quite well, so until it doesnít Iím sticking with it.

As far as HDR, Iím doing blooms and light adaptation (so the brightness of the scene adapts to how much light you are seeing, like your eyes do). Iím also doing global illumination, so the lighting is more natural esp. for outdoor scenes than pure direct lighting. Materials also handle specular and gloss mapping, so they can look pretty natural, and materials allow the modification of automatically generated scripts, which allows excellent modification ability without the grunt work of writing pixel and vertex shaders from scratch. Overall, itís a pretty impressive system.
Ithon

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Unigine V0.3 Reply with quote

ftp://download.nvidia.com/developer/Movies/NV40-LowRes-Clips/HDR.avi

Honesty I think HDR is being overrated which is good because I want to see a lot of imporvment with HDR. I have okay eye sight and don't have vision like this, expect one time when I got out of the eye doctor's building having my eyes all dialated. The only time I would use HDR at this time in technology is to have a virtual acid trip experance or bling blinded by a flash-bang. Although a lite brush of the bloom effect gives offs a nice eviroment at times.

Now I just thought of something that I have'nt seem people go for directly yet. The great thing with HDR is that it can get dark, also when it's really dark at night it's hard to see. If one would combine HDR with softshadow you could have a great good night eviroment.

now that said let me tell the difference between this two engines in this topic.
Unigen focus' on the realisum mostly with physics.
Rob's thing that he has under his hood focus' on the realisum mostly with graphics.

Just tell if I got this right Rob?

can't wait to see OMF:BG with HDR.

BTY does your Bloom look like this? :p
Ithon

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Unigine V0.3 Reply with quote

Ok now I've seen a really good presentation of HDR and I've changed my view on this cool visual effect. The HDR for HL2 looks kind of crappy. (unless you thought of this guy first taken from Garry's mod forum not Valve )
web page here download here

yhea you would need a superfast computer to run this. Still I have a problem with the bloom with the background images, they don't seem right, like film being over-exposed.
I will give you so much gloating power if you can fix this, that I will gloat for you :thumbsup: :thumbsup:.
Wraiyth

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Unigine V0.3 Reply with quote

Bloom is overused in games IMO. Sometimes its used really well, but other times it just shits me so bad. Take a look at Brothers in Arms, and you'll see how to NOT use Bloom. And unless I'm mistaken, Oblivion uses bloom and it uses it VERY well
Discomb

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Unigine V0.3 Reply with quote

I most certainly agree on Brothers in Arms bloom. Though Call of Duty 2 seems to do a very good job.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Unigine V0.3 Reply with quote

with bloom, it's a good job when you don't notice it. It's a bad job when you do.
DieselUnigine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Unigine V0.3 Reply with quote

Unigine v0.33 is released.

New release of this graphics-physics engine introduces PRT (Precomputed Radiance Transfer) lighting, bytecode compiler speedup and GUI improvements (Unicode support and so on). You can download two entirely new Unigine demos to see it's capabilities by yourself: http://unigine.com/download/
There is also a new campaign, which is aimed to help indie developers.

Read detailed announcement with screenshots - http://unigine.com/products/unigine_v0.33/
X-BoT

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Unigine V0.3 Reply with quote

Quote:
Yea, it supports HDR. I would like to have a site setup for it, I've been discussing it with some testers for some time. It's pretty close to the time to get this setup as well, got likely a month or two more of work and it'd have all the base features needed to make most game types. I could always use some help though, if there are experience web guys willing to do so.

I'm definitely willing to help Smile If I'm available at the time that is, which is fairly likely Smile

[ X-BoT's OMF Universe ] [ System Specs ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Ithon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Unigine V0.3 Reply with quote

very cool demo, though I didn't get to test out the PRT, it's still cool enough to see in the video.

I'm very surprized that you posted on a forum other then your own. Thanks for the update :thumbsup:
salem

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Unigine V0.3 Reply with quote

The sea demo is quite cool! I have a 6800 GT and it did some extrange things on the graphics (i thought you would like to know it :p).
What i don't get the point is with the robots.
DieselUnigine

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Unigine V0.3 Reply with quote

Robots... Try to move sliders in the GUI.
DieselUnigine

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Unigine V0.3 Reply with quote

Quote:
very cool demo, though I didn't get to test out the PRT, it's still cool enough to see in the video.

Funniest feature of this demo is manual sky control. BTW, if anything goes wrong with our demos - check your video driver first, we recemmend to use latest stable one.

Quote:
I'm very surprized that you posted on a forum other then your own. Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

You are welcome Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: