OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why is mantis overpowered???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Balance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ouch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Why is mantis overpowered??? Reply with quote

*senses his name in the thread* Smile

Mantis is not overpowered, I really don't understand why people continue to argue this. a good mantis player can get owned by a great force player. and a good force player can get owned by a great mantis player. it's like that for all the hars.

what it boils down to is if you have the skill required to take down the har standing in front of you. as well as the har fighting style, you also have to deal with the pilot's individual fighting style. (yes, even AI players have very different fighting styles which is a testimate to DE's craftsman ship in the game) This results in a perpetualy complex chain of possible weaknesses and strengths for each har, and every har pilot.

the point is that the game is all about tactics, stratagy, and timeing. each har/pilot combination requires a different set of each of the above.

ouch

scientifically engineered to hate StarForce

veryorkish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Why is mantis overpowered??? Reply with quote

Oh? If that really is the case why do you play mantis exclusivly?
FlamingMonkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Why is mantis overpowered??? Reply with quote

Quote:
*senses his name in the thread* Smile

Mantis is not overpowered, I really don't understand why people continue to argue this. a good mantis player can get owned by a great force player. and a good force player can get owned by a great mantis player. it's like that for all the hars.

what it boils down to is if you have the skill required to take down the har standing in front of you. as well as the har fighting style, you also have to deal with the pilot's individual fighting style. (yes, even AI players have very different fighting styles which is a testimate to DE's craftsman ship in the game) This results in a perpetualy complex chain of possible weaknesses and strengths for each har, and every har pilot.

the point is that the game is all about tactics, stratagy, and timeing. each har/pilot combination requires a different set of each of the above.

Nobody is saying that the game's outcome is determined by HAR choice: it's pretty obvious that the game deeply involves tactics and skills to determine the winner. But to say that each HAR is on equal is insanity: surely you must know by now that some moves have more advantages than others, that certain moves act as counters to others - since each HAR fights in a different style, they usually have entire movesets that are countered in the same way, with the same move types and priorities. It follows that good and bad HAR matchups exists.

But it's not a full circle chain; some HARs don't benefit from moves that do well against another HAR's - they're the two HARs that most people put at the bottom of the tier list. Others have many moves that are not outdone, or are only outdone by a few moves in the whole game. Because some of these movesets do not have a satisfactory or easily pulled-off counter to them, some HARs are put at a distinct advantage. How can you not acknowledge HAR matchups as being significant?
Xaronth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is mantis overpowered??? Reply with quote

Quote:
How can you not acknowledge HAR matchups as being significant?

this is the same guy who cried about cheatlord. im pretty sure he does subconciously. :tongue2:
"A thin line separates us. I call it 'talent'". -Ken Masters
Discomb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is mantis overpowered??? Reply with quote

wasn't that Meowbeast? Sorry if I'm mixing things up Sad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is mantis overpowered??? Reply with quote

Quote:

It's in Ouch's signature. :crazy:
Discomb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is mantis overpowered??? Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:

It's in Ouch's signature. :crazy:

Sorries I did mess up. It's late.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is mantis overpowered??? Reply with quote

It's okay, I failed to notice it as well. Pointing the hypocrisy out would've saved me the trouble of trying to explain that not all HARs are created equal.
ouch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Why is mantis overpowered??? Reply with quote

I'm not saying the game is perfect. it's definately got some game breaking bugs and abuses.

I play mantis because I feel it suits me better than the other hars. It's not that I feel it's over powered or anything. I just feel "in tune" with it, as strange as that may sound. It's the same reason I play Unreal Tournament over Quake. it's the same reason I drive a Mustang over a SUV. it's the same reason why I like dogs better than cats...

offline, I do play some cheatlord, and jag. and sometimes I'll play these online if I'm getting bored, or I see there is no chance for you to win against me in a mantis.

I call cheatlords, cheatlords because the fact they can do over 150 damage in a 3 hit combo. and some of thier moves make them move like lightning dispite DE's obvious attemps at balanceing them towards being cumbersome. (F+LP should not have existed on this har. that dash is just too fast, and is used for positioning more than for the damage it does) and it has the most combo resets (more importantly resetting the percent of damage done per hit) of any other har. they also have 4 different supers, where everyone else has 3. need I go on?

ouch

scientifically engineered to hate StarForce

Discomb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Why is mantis overpowered??? Reply with quote

Also big and easy to hit with your eyes closed. Warlords are always the most fun for me to fight because I know they can't avoid me, while I can avoid them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Why is mantis overpowered??? Reply with quote

Quote:
they also have 4 different supers, where everyone else has 3. need I go on?

Force has 4 supers also.

Warlord has 1 super per pair of hands. If you are playing without a matching pair of hands, you cant use a super. Also, if you try changing your hands during a fight, there's a good chance you'll get smacked for it

Leader of the Forgotten Clan
Laptop Bunny Stats
()_() Mobility Radeon HD 5870
( ._.) Intel Core i7 1.6GHz (720QM)
((")(") 8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64Bit
veryorkish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Why is mantis overpowered??? Reply with quote

Actually Force has 4 supers too, sides the super grenade launcher is anything but super.
FlamingMonkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is mantis overpowered??? Reply with quote

Let's also keep in mind that if they made every single one of Warlord's moves slow, he wouldn't be able to hit any of the fast HARs for lack of opportunity. He [filtered] needs some quick attacks to make up for his pathetic walking, jumping, and special attack speeds. I don't see why dealing with fast attacks is a problem with you, Ouch; they're on every HAR, regardless of how poorly you think the moves fit on this particular one. Did you expect to be fighting a ridiculously handicapped, immovable rock? Because I'm sure you can mod one in sometime. :smirk:
Discomb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is mantis overpowered??? Reply with quote

Warlord == walking fortress.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is mantis overpowered??? Reply with quote

That idea goes to [filtered] once you realize that it's still a fighting game. Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Balance All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: