OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Internet problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Internet problem Reply with quote

My friend is having a problem with his internet... He has cable (from the same provider as me), but the highest speed he can download at is about 13.5 KB/sec. This doesnt matter where from that he's downloading. I can easily download at over 200 KB/sec, and considering that our services are the same, the only thing I can think of is that there's something wrong with his computer.

Any ideas from the OMF board frequenters?

Leader of the Forgotten Clan
Laptop Bunny Stats
()_() Mobility Radeon HD 5870
( ._.) Intel Core i7 1.6GHz (720QM)
((")(") 8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64Bit
Y2K_MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Internet problem Reply with quote

He could have a ton of spyware. There could be something wrong with the wires connecting to his pc/house/nieghborhood network. There could be something with the server he connects to for the service. his modem might be fried a bit.
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Internet problem Reply with quote

Any anti-spyware software you'd reccomend?

Laptop Bunny Stats
((")(") 8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64Bit
rob2687

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Internet problem Reply with quote

Spybot S&D or the Microsoft antispyware.

What ISP are you guys on. It's possible he got put on a lower speed accidently or worst case his connection quality is just really crappy.
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Internet problem Reply with quote

We're both on Shaw. We've had cable with them before "lite" speed came along, and I doubt they downgraded their connection...

And preferrably, we'd want a free anti-spyware program. Are either of those free?

edit : ok, i see that S&D is free, so we're going to try that first.

edit2 : he just said this to me on MSN

"hmmmm 805 bad products already blocked, 6549 additional protections possible"

Laptop Bunny Stats
((")(") 8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64Bit
Spockmeat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Internet problem Reply with quote

ya, I think that's just the default message spybot gives you telling you how many adware/spyware things it can detect and block. You should also check out adaware from lavasoft.

The easiest way to check if it's his computer is to eiter take yours over there and hook it up and test it, or some other one. You could also stick in Knoppix and boot into linux and test the bandwidth speed. In any event, you'll probably end up having to call the company and have them try to figure out why their lines are bad Smile

Blind patriotism
Endy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Internet problem Reply with quote

Call the ISP and ask them if they are having problems in his service area. Give it a few days to clear up.

Furthermore, a comparison between two people is not an accurate measure of performance unless you live in the same city (under the same local service network), are downloading the same file from the same server (different servers set different caps for downloading because they have different upload bandwidth avaliable) and doing it at the same time of day (under the same network load).

Now if he goes to like... download.com or fileplanet and he's getting a low d\l speed for multiple days in a row that would indicate a problem.

At that point a call to the ISP is merited.

The only way it could be caused by spyware is if the spyware is using all of his avaliable bandwidth to download\send something. That doesn't make sense but he should check to verify that nothing is running in the background that could be using his bandwidth.

Peer to peer programs that load on startup, instant messengers, steam, etc...

Outside of verifying that your hardware is set up and nothing else is using the bandwidth, theres nothing else you can really do.

This is almost assuredly the ISP's fault.

Try this also: http://www.dslreports.com/stest
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Internet problem Reply with quote

He lives a few blocks away, same ISP, same service, same file, same mirror, same same same same same-ety same same same.

Turns out another friend of mine had the same sort of problem a while ago, and he got Shaw to replace his modem, and everything was fast again...

so yeah... the friend with internet problems is going to get his replaced soon, i think.

We also both did a speed test on our ISP's website...

I had 1296 down, 408 up
He had 104 down, 56 up

Laptop Bunny Stats
((")(") 8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64Bit
X-BoT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Internet problem Reply with quote

I'd suggest downloading DU Meter and trying it out. It shows you what's going on with your connection and tells you how much is currently going in/out. If you see a lot of data going in or out while doing nothing, you've very likely got a spyware problem. Otherwise, it's probably a bad connection and he should give his ISP a call and have them sort things out.

[ X-BoT's OMF Universe ] [ System Specs ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Discomb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Internet problem Reply with quote

Run a tracert from both your computers to the ISP parent server. Quite literally, press Start+R and type tracert <IP>. It will display every checkpoint the signal has to jump through to get to it's destination. Find the bottleneck, then you may think of ways to resolve it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Internet problem Reply with quote

Quote:
Run a tracert from both your computers to the ISP parent server. Quite literally, press Start+R and type tracert <IP>. It will display every checkpoint the signal has to jump through to get to it's destination. Find the bottleneck, then you may think of ways to resolve it.

This is good advice. Call the ISP I would expect them to walk you through this and provide the correct IP's for the servers to tracert to.
Dirtbag

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Internet problem Reply with quote

is your friend a big downloader, some isp's tend to whack you speed for the rest of the months if you have exeeded some limit.

at least mine once threatend to do so after I download in exces of 200 gig in 21 days Smile

db
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Internet problem Reply with quote

Quote:
is your friend a big downloader, some isp's tend to whack you speed for the rest of the months if you have exeeded some limit.

If anything, I download more than him, and no, our ISP doesnt have a cap on our connections...

Laptop Bunny Stats
((")(") 8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64Bit
cimics

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Internet problem Reply with quote

Best advice is to call the ISP and have them run a check to see if the modem is communicating well. There are also some possible things to check:

1. trade in the modem -- I did this once when I was having problems and it fixed it right away. If you don't do it, you may never know that it's not the problem.

2. line issues outside/inside the house: it could be that a coaxial wire is fried. Try replacing the one from the modem to the wall. If that doesn't work, have the cable company check the one going from the house to the neighborhood junction box. Both of those have happened to me as well.

3.firewall -- does the connection dramatically improve if it's turned off? If so, then there may be some configuration issues to be resolved.

4. spyware -- get a firewall that catches outgoing traffic like zonealarm (or reset the program permissions, if you already have one) and see what is trying to connect to the internet. Then run adaware, spybot, and microsoft antispyware (all free) and see if you come up with any matches. Any spyware is an issue, but especially ones that show up on your firewall as producing traffic.

5. network card -- try a different method of connecting to the ISP (i.e. instead of ethernet, try USB, or a different ethernet card) to see if that could be the source of the problem.

One other comment, I saw a posting on turning off instant messengers. With a cable connection, an instant messenger should not be soaking up enough bandwidth to be noticed. I have ICQ and I get about 5 Mbps download speed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: