OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My computer died!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NightShadow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: My computer died! Reply with quote

... And for no apparent reason at all. I got home from work, turned on the monitor, moved the mouse, then bam! My computer died, completely. After trying everthing I could to revive it, I've decided that it can only be brought back with a new brain and nervous system. Which brings me to my question...

What do you think is the best Motherboard/CPU combo currently available? I'll be making my purchase on Monday. Smile

I wasn't expecting to make a purchase anytime soon, so I'm not hip as to what's the best of the best out there right now. Once I know what's the best, I'll try fitting what I can into my budget. Smile

I'm guessing an NForce4 and AMD X2 combo is about the best out there right now. If that is right, then I just have to decide which models will give me the best performance and upgradeability for the price.

[edit] Er, 300 bucks for the cheapest X2 at Newegg? Umm, maybe I won't get one of those. lol. Well, I'll see what the other prices come to...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
killer_roach

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My computer died! Reply with quote

Best combination that I can tell you of:

CPU: Athlon 64 3200+. Fast, inexpensive, and overclocks like a beast. The 3000+ is also good, but for a difference of $2, go with the 3200+. They're seriously capable of reaching 2.6-3.0 GHz on stock cooling.

Mobo: DFI LANParty nForce4 SLI-DR. Killer performer with SLI support. If you have no interest in an SLI board, I'd recommend what I have in my system:

EPoX 9NPA+ Ultra

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Y2K_MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My computer died! Reply with quote

http://www.nextag.com/Tyan-4-WAY-OPTERON--zz64002149z0z0z1z4_cpu_motherboardzB9az2--COMPARE-PRICES-html

load that one up Very Happy
X-BoT

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: My computer died! Reply with quote

Quote:
I wasn't expecting to make a purchase anytime soon, so I'm not hip as to what's the best of the best out there right now. Once I know what's the best, I'll try fitting what I can into my budget. Smile

What is your budget? That would help narrow it down.. a lot..

[ X-BoT's OMF Universe ] [ System Specs ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: My computer died! Reply with quote

Quote:
My computer died!

Lucky punk.

If mine broke down, i could have had time to finish of the 8-9-10 other hobbies im already way behind...

(And i wouldn't have to spend all this time with those jerks on that foru........ uhm did i say that loud? nonono... of corse not....)
Discomb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: My computer died! Reply with quote

I wuv j00 too./

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My computer died! Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
My computer died!

Lucky punk.

If mine broke down, i could have had time to finish of the 8-9-10 other hobbies im already way behind...

(And i wouldn't have to spend all this time with those jerks on that foru........ uhm did i say that loud? nonono... of corse not....)

Yeah, I'm considering going without a computer for a while. Problem is, I've grown rather dependant on the internet, and do virtually all my business online. And, I have a thesis that I have to write the next couple of terms, and I'd prefer not to have to go to the school to work on it. But then again, the free time to work on my other hobbies could very well make up for it.

As for my budget; I don't really know... it's rather flexible. It depends on how excited I am about the hardware. Smile $150 or less for each would be ideal, but I also don't want to worry about spending another $150 or so in a year or 2's time. So, if the $300 hardware looks like it'll last for like, 4 years or so, I might cough up the extra dough for it. That's why I want to know what's the best, so I can mull over it for a while and figure out what I can convince myself to spend.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NightShadow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: My computer died! Reply with quote

Well, I think I'm going to go ahead with the X2. I think the dual core feature will give me the longevity that I want, and make the price worthwhile.

I'm still split on the motherboard choices though. Any brand preferences out there? I was thinking maybe a DFI, an Asus, or an Abit. I was thinking maybe this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136166
Zelig

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My computer died! Reply with quote

DFI rocks.

I've got one of the early release DFI Ultra-D boards, from before they started putting extra epoxy on the chipsets to prevent modding to support SLI.
Viper-Vision

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My computer died! Reply with quote

I had a DFI in my P4 with 2Ghz and it seriously sucked but that was probably the chip it had dunno which now though...
killer_roach

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My computer died! Reply with quote

The DFI boards are awesome... apart from them my next best recommendations would be stuff like EPoX or Gigabyte. ASUS, although having slipped somewhat, still makes quality stuff, though.

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Spockmeat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My computer died! Reply with quote

ya, you can't go wrong with that DFI board. Another board I see recommended a lot is this ASUS one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131568

Blind patriotism
NightShadow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My computer died! Reply with quote

I changed plans. My other brain cell spoke up, and I realized that I'd be fine if I merely replaced the motherboard, and saved a full on upgrade for a time when I was better prepared for it. That way, I get my computer back, and still have money for Christmas and upgrading my car and whatnot. Smile

Thanks for all your help though.
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My computer died! Reply with quote

Quote:
I changed plans. My other brain cell spoke up,

Wow, you have two braincells? You're so lucky!

My halfdead brain cell and I are jealous.

Leader of the Forgotten Clan
Laptop Bunny Stats
()_() Mobility Radeon HD 5870
( ._.) Intel Core i7 1.6GHz (720QM)
((")(") 8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64Bit
NightShadow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My computer died! Reply with quote

Yeah, one is almost always in hibernation, while the other is mostly stupid. Smile

Oh, and my computer lives again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: