OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a good java IDE?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viper-Vision

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: a good java IDE? Reply with quote

hey, I'm getting a little into java since I just want to know how to program with it :p

so eh does anybody know a nice IDE to develop in which has a resource editor so I can drag in components and edit their properties? Also having it appear a list of names during typing, for example class names or function parameters would be nice.
salem

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: a good java IDE? Reply with quote

If you want an IDE, there's THE IDE: Eclipse, also there's NetBeans but Eclipse is like the way to go :p
Both are quite good, but you know which one i prefer Wink

If you really want to learn Java better use a text editor and the command prompt compiler, javac.

About adding components and viewing their properties... i don't know what you mean, but if it's done it's in either one or other IDE.
Spockmeat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: a good java IDE? Reply with quote

I concur, Eclipse is currently touted as the best java IDE around. There are certainly some very nice plug-ins and addons as well. If you need to do any GUI work check out the Visual Editor Project that adds into Eclipse. :thumbsup:

Blind patriotism
X-BoT

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: a good java IDE? Reply with quote

If only I'd heard of that visual editor a year ago... I coded GUIs by hand for a project. Wasted a lot of valuable time that could have been spent sleeping... :p

[ X-BoT's OMF Universe ] [ System Specs ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Cyberfrog

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: a good java IDE? Reply with quote

I've used both NetBeans and Eclipse, and will have to say I prefer Eclipse.

NetBeans has a somewhat simpler interface and options screens, so should Eclipse's scare you (it's nothing too horrible, so not likely), you could start with NB.

For simple programs with say just 1 class, an editor such as TextPad (shareware if I'm not mistaken) or EMACS/xEMACS (the latter progs suck for someone accustomed to Windows copy-and-paste shortcusts - can't believe I stuck with them for months) might work just as well.
Viper-Vision

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: a good java IDE? Reply with quote

Thanks for those answers now I don't have to spend time coding GUI like x-bot did and enjoy my sleepy time Smile

Another question about programming :p

Are BASIC/Delphi/Pascal still being used for many things or are they fading away from the IT bizz etc. since C#, java and C++ are better I assume..
Discomb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: a good java IDE? Reply with quote

I use Delphi and Object Pascal but that's just a personal preference, and I'm not employed in any business that uses them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: a good java IDE? Reply with quote

Quote:
If only I'd heard of that visual editor a year ago... I coded GUIs by hand for a project. Wasted a lot of valuable time that could have been spent sleeping... :p

I had to code manually a not small GUI for uni, and the teacher didn't let me (and others doing the GUI) use any app like that for making it Sad

About BASIC/Delphi/Pascal i see job-requests asking for guys progamming with them, Visual Basic the most requested from the three, about delphi i can see some but not many, and from pascal... there are even less.

BTW, the apps we use at work (the custom ones...) are developed in Delphi, i suppouse they're using delphi because the app has more than 5 years and they don't want to change the whole app :p

C / C++ / Java FTW! (for developing applications for the user)
Viper-Vision

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: a good java IDE? Reply with quote

cool, I already know the right languages then Smile only should learn some more java and C# and then I'm in.
See I want to learn as much as possible about computers etc. though I'm not being educated for it. What I'm doing is multimedia so, websites, 3d, animations etc. no programming though I want to get a job in the game bizz so I'd probably need any computer knowledge.

btw anything I should learn from the programming categorie?
I currently know: C++, C, php, actionscript :p, lingo
Gonna learn: Java, C#, assembly
Discomb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: a good java IDE? Reply with quote

assembly has got to be fun to learn :smirk:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: a good java IDE? Reply with quote

Visual Basic is a cancer, it really should be nuked. I mean, ya it's great for making a gui and application quick, but it sucks so badly at everything you should never use it for a real application. I'd use it for prototyping a gui at best, but with the Java Visual Editor out, there's no reason to use it.

Blind patriotism
Viper-Vision

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: a good java IDE? Reply with quote

cool then I'll skip the whole basic crap since I already know it's syntax principe.. same as lingo.
I already worked some with assemble but everything I did was like eh yeah.. what did I just do?? :p
salem

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: a good java IDE? Reply with quote

If you want to go towards game industry, better learn c or c++ if you want PC game industry, java for mobile devices, and for console gaming... no idea but i thing they should use something similar to c++

Also depending on which branch you want to go from games (developing AI, graphics, net-code, etc) you should learn some API's like OpenGL or DirectX and others for other purpouses.

If you really want to develop (or programming) games, i mean sit down and write code, you should also learn lots of efficient algorithms and the way to solve problems efficiently, and to manage all the work done is quite good to learn software engineering (it's good for all big apps :p).

About assembler... well... yeah... it's cool if you are used to it, but very tedious because you have to do some sentences to do a simple i++... But the good thing is that you can push performance to the sky and you have nearly absolute control of what the cpu executes of your app. If i'm not mistaken asm is used sometimes for developing small code to run faster on nvidia or ati boards than if done using they're own drivers.

But for the moment i'd say... learn what you actually like because you can go practising without losing any mood Wink
Viper-Vision

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: a good java IDE? Reply with quote

I have been busy for likely one year with win32 which is still kinda hard to learn because I don't have much time for it. I've also been learning directx and making a few apps in MFC which is easier than win32 though I'm bound to their datatypes which kinda suck especially CString.. I hate it. Can't use anything else because the controls are based on it.
Spockmeat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: a good java IDE? Reply with quote

MFC and win32 suck hard. That is all.

Blind patriotism
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: