OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

brain parasites you, might of had one

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ithon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: brain parasites you, might of had one Reply with quote

http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=399

it's very interesting how schizophrenia ties into this.
Endy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: brain parasites you, might of had one Reply with quote

Ever the skeptic I'd like to balance this study with a few things I know.

1) There are thousands of species of organisms that you share your body with on a daily basis. A few help you out symbiotically (like the endobacteria in your stomach) and a few can be hurtful (like a flu virus).

The vast majority do nothing at all.

Occasionally normal flora (microorganisms that are considered normal and healthy) will overgrow and cause problems. A yeast infection (C. Albicans - probably spelled that wrong) is an example of this, as the microorganism that causes this is always present in a certian quantity, however under certian circumstances it can become overgrown and cause a problem.

Clearly there is more to the interaction between humans and microorganisms than is at first apparent. This would mean that a black and white statment that XXX organism is always harmful cannot come from an isolated study.

2) All foriegn organisms elicit immune response (because they carry foriegn protiens in the cell membrane) and thusly produce symptoms (possibly very subtle). This would certianly allow it's presence to be detected through various laboratory tests.

Calling something undetectable makes no sense. Mabye difficult to detect, or it doesn't produce overt symptoms... but it is possible to detect when you figure out what to look for.

3) Having the following as the conclusion of a scientific study leaves a bit to be desired.

Quote:
Infected men appeared more jealous and suspicious. Infected women appeared more warm-hearted and outgoing.

The study didn't prove causation at all. It merely showed some general and VERY subjective correlation which is not the same thing at all.

4) Astrocytes in the brain coat brain neurons with Myelin, which is a substance that increases the rate of electrical conduction along neurons. I have never heard of Astrocyte damage being associated with Schizophrenia, at the very least it is NOT the primary cause of schizophrenia which is caused by neurochemical imbalances which are not understood enough to be linked to damage to a specific cell.

The fundamental conclusion that this organism causes schizophrenia is incorrect judging by the data presented.

5) I know this post is full of spelling and probably grammar errors. It's way to early to give a [filtered].
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: brain parasites you, might of had one Reply with quote

When I was little (in my third year of age), I woke up one day, not remembering anything other than my name, my age, who people were, where I lived, english, etc. I had no real memories that I could find...

I came to the conclusion that some parasite took over my brain, but it had to make it's own memories, and that I am now being completely controlled by a parasite somehow...

Leader of the Forgotten Clan
Laptop Bunny Stats
()_() Mobility Radeon HD 5870
( ._.) Intel Core i7 1.6GHz (720QM)
((")(") 8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64Bit
Discomb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: brain parasites you, might of had one Reply with quote

Did you eventually get them back?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: brain parasites you, might of had one Reply with quote

I wonder if the infection yields any beneficial properties to humans. It would be interesting to see what a mutant strain of the bacterium could do...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: brain parasites you, might of had one Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you eventually get them back?

No, don't remember a thing from before then.

Leader of the Forgotten Clan
Laptop Bunny Stats
()_() Mobility Radeon HD 5870
( ._.) Intel Core i7 1.6GHz (720QM)
((")(") 8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64Bit
Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: brain parasites you, might of had one Reply with quote

i think the one who started this thread has one
killer_roach

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: brain parasites you, might of had one Reply with quote

This thread reminds me of a song...

*listens to Tomosuke - Mind Parasite*

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
GravOriKlein

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: brain parasites you, might of had one Reply with quote

I stand by Endy on this one.
We're all carries, of a terrazillion species of micro-organisems.
Our entire stracture is composed of these microscopic beings doing their things, without them there won't be a human body; There won't be brain and concioussness.

To go histeric over this as if it's a conspiracy theory (ZOMG! THE GOV PUT FLUROID IN MY DRINKING WATER!) type thing is yet again a proof of the "ignorant bore masses" infact being dumb as they look.
BIG [filtered] DEAL.
OMG! THAT GUY HAS AIDS! LETS ALL WEAR HAZMAT SUITS!

:sweat2:
Humans are so mentaly defected...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: