OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ForumLite 2.0 - Looking for Feedback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: ForumLite 2.0 - Looking for Feedback Reply with quote

In 2003, frustrated by a limited bandwidth and a wide selection of hard to download, hard to install bloatware forums, I started making my own. The end result was "Forum", a small threaded forum that showed posts and the name of the person that made them, and not much more. The benefits of "Forum" were that it was A) Extremely lightweight, B) Used less than 5 files, C) Got the job done without needing a dozen SQL queries, and D) Only used one table in a database.

In 2004, I put it on the OMF Classic Web Site to the expected success of merely being used.

In '05, "Forum" adopted SQLite and was renamed to ForumLite.

Well, a while ago I found a backup and thought I'd give a new version a shot. The result is ForumLite 2.0.

The following changes have been made:
  • Instant Cross Compatability between MySQL and SQLite.
  • Smaller File Size
  • Fewer Columns in the table
  • Shows more relevant info
  • Better paging system
  • Easier Template system
  • Perfect Upgrade. Overwrite the files, edit the config file, forum still works. Guaranteed.

http://www.epicrevival.net/omf_classic/forum/forum2.php

Since I now realize what I have and what I want with it, I plan the following with ForumLite 2:

• Template String Replacement - Smileys, Word Filter,
  • Inter-compatability between MySQL and SQLite. Save backups to one, use the other for normal use, or just have two forums.
  • Multiple Forums (remember I'm only using one table)
  • Auto-install. You upload the files, go to the start page, it installs itself.
  • Attachments.
  • Quote other posts.
  • Edit / Delete your last post.
  • Administration Mode - Edit

ForumLite 3, if made, will issue more tables, be less than 10 files, add an image or two by default, add an admin panel, and add the RVN LVA (Limitless Variable Architecture, pronounced "ell-vuh") which allows for the following:

• Registered Users
  • User Classes, moderators, super mods, admins, dumbasses, etc
  • IP Ban
  • User signatures
  • User pre-signatures
  • User Titles
  • User custom post boxes
  • User Polls
  • Announcements

and a load of other things without needing to add more tables.

Of course, no point in doing all this without some motivation, so please, go to http://www.epicrevival.net/omf_classic/forum/forum2.php, ask questions, request code snippets, all that jazz. I need a skript kiddie ego boost!

Scorpion Navy Issue
Raven

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: ForumLite 2.0 - Looking for Feedback Reply with quote

I just convinced my host to move me to a server with php5 and whatever the new MySQL is. SQLite enabled by default! Yay! Now I can do performance benching!

Scorpion Navy Issue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: