OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

can sli go beyond 4 and should it be more then 4?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ithon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: can sli go beyond 4 and should it be more then 4? Reply with quote

After reading disscusions and articles on the quad sli cards, a question comes to mind to how many cards can you fit into a pc? So I figure now with quad sli supported and those people who fit 4 regular cards to into one motherboard would mean that one might get an Octal sli? (4 dual sli cards that fit into one slot each).

Now thinking about having 8 cards seems to much with the power consumption and probably limiting the cpu and ram. But you don't really know how something works untill you see it work in action. With that aside the question comes to mind when is enough, enough? Why should one get 1080 pi resolution with 160 fps also spend all the money when on so many graphic cards when something better comes out the next month. Still the trend of showing off power the lastest and greatest is very pleasing to many.

So how much will it cost to make an Octal sli? I don't know, because the link to the forum that first had quad sli is gone. Only if I knew then I could have a list to make the overkill pc, (me and my friend would do that by going to voodoo pc dot com back in the day and find out the most expensive customization we could get, $14,000 was the record).

In the end the option is only given to the rich and the poor is still the poor.

Octal SLI wonder if someone will tackle it.
killer_roach

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: can sli go beyond 4 and should it be more then 4? Reply with quote

I doubt we'll see more than quad in the consumer segment anytime soon due to power (and, more importantly, cooling) considerations, but it is quite possible in the professional segment, where such considerations can be mitigated by humongous server and workstation cases. In fact, I think most enthusiast systems will probably stay at 2 GPUs for quite some time, except for those going for 3DMark records.

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
salem

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: can sli go beyond 4 and should it be more then 4? Reply with quote

I remember to read that ATI used in don't know where some kind of 16 card computer to compute something important (look at the inquirer webpage, i remember it was there :p )
And on big computers i think they use some of them, but i can't say it for sure.
killer_roach

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: can sli go beyond 4 and should it be more then 4? Reply with quote

I know nVidia and ATI have massive GPU arrays for professional render farms, but they are prohibitively expensive for consumer use (and are Quadro or FireGL-based).

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Ithon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: can sli go beyond 4 and should it be more then 4? Reply with quote

ATI came out with a fire-gl card that runs around 1 gig.
killer_roach

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: can sli go beyond 4 and should it be more then 4? Reply with quote

Yeah, I had heard about that... too bad it's also based off of the Radeon X1800 core, which is nowhere near the performance of the Radeon X1900.

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Ithon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: can sli go beyond 4 and should it be more then 4? Reply with quote

Well fire-gl is'nt ment for playing games, more for graphics art that need more processing space.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: