OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phoenix Engine WIKI

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wayne Frazee

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Phoenix Engine WIKI Reply with quote

I am working with rob to deploy a wiki for community storage and expansion of information on the Phoenix engine. At the present time, It has turned into rather a more time consuming project than I had anticipated because I havent been happy with the availible products and the methods for which they require configuration. Certain products allow too little customization, others require the ability to build and cache temporary content to local server directories with permissions I am not comfortable with.

If you have suggestions on a PHP based WIKI system that uses or can use a MySQL database as the backend, I am certainly open to them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
salem

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoenix Engine WIKI Reply with quote

this one for example? (i'm thinking that you already used it... but it's quite used in lots of wikis :p)

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki
Wayne Frazee

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoenix Engine WIKI Reply with quote

Quote:
this one for example? (i'm thinking that you already used it... but it's quite used in lots of wikis :p)

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki

Its a nice system and one of the few I am still considering. The only negatives is that the latest branch of development requires a later version of MySQL than we have availible at present (I dont have the time to do a sql migration).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Wraiyth

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoenix Engine WIKI Reply with quote

MediaWIKI would've been my pick too, don't really know of any others off the top of my head
ElementFire

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Phoenix Engine WIKI Reply with quote

I would suggest Mediawiki too. Since I don't know much about content management services, I found a list of such services.

Clicky.
Ithon

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoenix Engine WIKI Reply with quote

is there an update on the wiki?
Ithon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Phoenix Engine WIKI Reply with quote

here's a wiki that you might look into.
http://www.wetpaint.com/

however I don't think you would want it, becuase I don't think they have software you can buy and have on your own server. Still it's nice to look at some the wiki's people have. (visual wise)

Example
Johnnie5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Why just the engine? Reply with quote

As Robyrt mentioned in another thread, a serious problem with OMF is that it was created by very few people. Well, that can easily change... if it's made open-source.

My idea was this:

1)Release the source code in public. Let's face it, the idea of a 3D fighting game is one of the best and most innovative in the last n years. So, there will definitely be people to pick it up and work on it.

2)Keep the tournament source code for DE, so that tournament CDs for the game could be released: this could allow people to support DE by buying them.

My idea was that Rob mentioned (so far's I can remember) that he was not going to make fighters anymore: so, why not allow other, spirited people to contribute to the game? FlightGear is an open-source game, and it's very good from what I've heard.

Of course, it would also be very good if the source code of 2097 was released, too.

And one last thing: People should NOT be allowed to tweak the balance of the robots. From what I have deduced, this just caused problems.
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Why just the engine? Reply with quote

W00T! FPU, long time no chainsling!
Vuen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Why just the engine? Reply with quote

I'm sure you could find an older version of MediaWiki that uses your version of MySQL, but I'm not sure you'd want to; there are probably lots of security fixes between it and now. When it comes down to it you're probably best doing the SQL migration after all.
Raven

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Why just the engine? Reply with quote

That's been my experiece, but then again, look at how many updates have whizzed past this forum..

Scorpion Navy Issue
Robyrt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Why just the engine? Reply with quote

Hehe, balance tweaks would be the first thing I'd do with public mod tools / source code release. Not only is it considerably easier than actually improving the thing, it would increase the fun factor for me personally.

Plenty of games have been opened up to re-balance modding and the result is that people just play with the standard game anyway, or with a select few high-quality mods that deserve it (Counterstrike, TA's Uberhack and Switeck mods, etc).
Vuen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Why just the engine? Reply with quote

Yep. I'm not sure why people worry about balance issues with mod tools. So what if everyone makes their own balance mod; if no one can agree then no one will use them. Unless the mod is really, really good (like Counterstrike, TFC, etc), everyone will just play standard anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> The Game All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: