OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ATI using phyics, demoed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ithon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: ATI using phyics, demoed Reply with quote

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA3OSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

See now this makes more sence then buying a PPU only card.
salem

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: ATI using phyics, demoed Reply with quote

Yup, that's interesting.

But the bad thing about this is that when one company (Ageia) tries to make itself a place on the market, there goes a big one (nVidia and ATI) to conquer that place...
killer_roach

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: ATI using phyics, demoed Reply with quote

Of course, ATI wants mobos to come with THREE PCIe x16 slots, to compensate... Why not go the nVidia route and have a card like the 7950GX2 for graphics and a 7900GT for physics? Smile

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Rob Elam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: ATI using phyics, demoed Reply with quote

Quote:
Of course, ATI wants mobos to come with THREE PCIe x16 slots, to compensate... Why not go the nVidia route and have a card like the 7950GX2 for graphics and a 7900GT for physics? Smile

Hehe, not sure what the difference would be there. I think both NVidia and ATI's solutions seem sound, I do lean a bit towards ATI because it seems old video cards can still have a use. Both are going to boil down to software support though. I just wish they'd announce that the physics hardware will be functional on the Wii Smile.
Endy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: ATI using phyics, demoed Reply with quote

A Core 2 Duo + an ATI card? That will go over real well with AMD when they buy them out.
Ithon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: ATI using phyics, demoed Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:

Hehe, not sure what the difference would be there. I think both NVidia and ATI's solutions seem sound, I do lean a bit towards ATI because it seems old video cards can still have a use. Both are going to boil down to software support though. I just wish they'd announce that the physics hardware will be functional on the Wii Smile.

wait are you planning on making a game for the Wii?
Why do you want to know if it works on the wii, are you planning of cranking out more of a physical simlution by using both it's gpu and ppu? (ultimate sidescrolling maddness) or do you want to know if there's a learning curve on the wii if you want to get into the physics hardware?
Endy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: ATI using phyics, demoed Reply with quote

Quote:

Man the way theese things are going were goinna need 100 CPUs and like 15 video cards. At least the CPU makers are getting it right and combining the cores into one product that fills one slot instead of needing redundant hardware and slots and stuff.

You just buy a dual core (or quad core soon enough) chip.

Theese [filtered] video card manufacturers got it all wrong. See they are so obsessed over the "geek factor" of SLI that it seems like they've entirely overlooked placing 2-4 GPU's on one card despite the fact that it would be far more cost effective and make a lot more sense. That is how professional 3D graphics cards are.
Grom_hellscream

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: ATI using phyics, demoed Reply with quote

if you wont 2 gpus on a videocard its made for sale long time ago.

cards with two 6600gt gpu's and cards like theat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: ATI using phyics, demoed Reply with quote

x1900 cards are already hot as heck even just idling. A multicore card would probably generate enough heat to power a city.
Discomb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: ATI using phyics, demoed Reply with quote

Yeah but X1900 is a maniac card.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: ATI using phyics, demoed Reply with quote

Quote:
wait are you planning on making a game for the Wii?

I've got no plans for it now, but it'd be nice to know it's there if/when I do.
Ithon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: ATI using phyics, demoed Reply with quote

to bad, you should develope in less then a week a game for the wii, that way you can do something refreshingly different (without the commintment making something for months or years).

And sell it for a penny!!
That way you can write more small checks as you probably did with omf 2097 (I mean a ton of small checks, like 20 10 dollar checks per week).

how does this relate to the PP..... it doesn't
ok, so would you consider buying a new card to get the physics if it was your only choice or rather not buy the extra one because of cost?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: