OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Networking 102 (help!)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Networking 102 (help!) Reply with quote

I need a device that I can plug into a DSL modem and have a LAN with working internet over. We currently use a confusing array of ancient hubs and half working wireless routers that seems like way too much [filtered] for me to deal with.

I want just one box I can plug every computer into and have every wireless computer join onto and have them all able to be on the same network and share a DSL line. Am I looking for a hub, a gateway, a router, or something else? Thanks.

Scorpion Navy Issue
ouch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Networking 102 (help!) Reply with quote

well withought knowing how many computers you have and your desired combination of wired/wireless computers heres what should be a quick fix:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005ARK3/103-2457558-7035058?v=glance&n=172282

this sports a wireless B device. (slowest type available, but it's the cheapest)

I would recomend at least a G if you can afford it, and if your wireless computers has a wireless card capable of those speeds in them.

connects 4 computers on a hardline plus I think +250 wireless ones.

you will still need your modem box connected to this but it sounds like 2 boxes is far less than you have currently.

when buying routers I recomend linksys for the tinkerers and netgear for the people who just want it to work.

both companies make routers designed for "extreme" gameing as well, if your into that sort of thing. They basicly reduce your ping counts. but most (I think all actually) of those are not wireless so you will need an access point to handle the wireless users in your household. but if you are playing games you shouldn't connect on a wireless connection anyway because it can cause "massive lag" depending on the atmospheric conditions and distances in your house on that particular day.

ouch

scientifically engineered to hate StarForce

Raven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Networking 102 (help!) Reply with quote

Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005ARK3/103-2457558-7035058?v=glance&n=172282

this sports a wireless B device. (slowest type available, but it's the cheapest)

I would recomend at least a G if you can afford it.

connects 4 computers on a hardline plus I think +250 wireless ones.

you will still need your modem box connected to this but it sounds like 2 boxes is far less than you have currently.

when buying routers I recomend linksys for the tinkerers and netgear for the people who just want it to work.

both companies make routers designed for "extreme" gameing as well, if your into that sort of thing. They basicly reduce your ping counts. but most (I think all actually) of those are not wireless so you will need an access point to handle the wireless users in your household. but if you are playing games you shouldn't connect on a wireless connection anyway because it can cause "massive lag" depending on the atmospheric conditions in your house that day.

We currently use a Linksys WRT54G. It's supposedly supposed to be able to do exactly what that one does, but if we plug it into the DSL modem it has no idea what's going on and just blocks all internet access (Stock settings).

Is there a difference between a router and DSL router?

Scorpion Navy Issue
ouch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Networking 102 (help!) Reply with quote

well most ISP's (like insight) require a router to be registered on thier servers. if it's not it refuses the connection and your router "appears" to be the problem when it's really not.

try giveing your router the mac address of whatever is currently connected to the modem. you can sometimes fake out the isp's security that way. otherwise you will need to re-setup your ISP account with the new router in mind.

your ISP has thier own security needs just as you do. they have firewalls, on top of firewalls that need to be configured with your equipment. when your equipment changes they need to change thier settings to allow your new equipment to connect.

ouch

Endy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Networking 102 (help!) Reply with quote

Quote:
try giveing your router the mac address of whatever is currently connected to the modem.

Bingo. Either that or find a cable company who doesn't treat their users like children. Though to be fair, give it 24 hours or call their tech line and ask them to manually refresh their stuff.
ouch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Networking 102 (help!) Reply with quote

Quote:
Bingo. Either that or find a cable company who doesn't treat their users like children.

and good luck with that... Wink

ouch

Raven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Networking 102 (help!) Reply with quote

We use a Verizon Business DSL account, I could have swore my boss vouched for the more expensive business version to avoid problems like this.

So, there's no difference between a broadband router and DSL router? Seems odd the only working router said "DSL Router" right on it....

Scorpion Navy Issue
ouch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Networking 102 (help!) Reply with quote

no you you don't need a DSL only router. routers today do both. see for yourself:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/tech-data/B00007KDVI/ref=de_a_smtd/103-2457558-7035058?%5Fencoding=UTF8

your just not setting it up correctly. or it's and ISP issue. also big dollar company connections are often harder to set up than cheap household ones.

plus you got a linksys which usually requires more tweaks to set up than say, a netgear. but linksys are often a bit faster when they are set up because they auto regulate and moniter less stuff. (at least it seems to me anyway...)

everyone seems to have thier own preferance though.

also 90%-99% of default router settings will never work with any internet connection. at the very least go through the install CD that came with it. but your probably going to end up useing the routers web page interface to set it up anyway...

ouch

Vuen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Networking 102 (help!) Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
try giveing your router the mac address of whatever is currently connected to the modem.

Bingo. Either that or find a cable company who doesn't treat their users like children. Though to be fair, give it 24 hours or call their tech line and ask them to manually refresh their stuff.

No, no, no. Certain cable companies do this, but DSL does not.

Quote:
We currently use a Linksys WRT54G. It's supposedly supposed to be able to do exactly what that one does, but if we plug it into the DSL modem it has no idea what's going on and just blocks all internet access (Stock settings).

Well there's your problem. You need to actually tell the router your login information for it to work. DSL uses a PPPoE login, which means the host that directly connects to it (either a router or a computer) needs to supply a login and password to it to be allowed access. If your router doesn't know your DSL password it's not going to be able to log in.

In short, RTFM. The manual has all the details on supplying your router with the required PPPoE login information.
ouch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Networking 102 (help!) Reply with quote

oh, way to go Vuen, you made him screw up his connection so bad he can't come back... lol j/k

ouch

Raven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Networking 102 (help!) Reply with quote

I guess I should probably elaborate.

The DSL modem is a Westell 6100. This was a case of RTFM, but I was reading the wrong FM. The DSL modem has a built in Router, so what I'm looking for is a wireless switch.

Scorpion Navy Issue
ouch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Networking 102 (help!) Reply with quote

some routers have an option to turn off it's routing functions. esentially turning it into a wireless access point with a 4 port switch. (or however many ports it has.)

which sounds like it's just what you need.

other wise just get a switch and an wireless access point. you can get both cheaply on ebay.

ouch

Grom_hellscream

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Networking 102 (help!) Reply with quote

hehe..

i have this linksys wrt54gl.. but i have no usermanual.. so i cant config it.. somone plz help me?.. :sweat2:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Networking 102 (help!) Reply with quote

download one... you know how the internet works and obviously have access to it...

(blatantly obvious I know...)
Grom_hellscream

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Networking 102 (help!) Reply with quote

it ses i am spose too run \\192.168.2.1 and this does not work..

i have used the reset like 10 times...

edit:

ye.. i have done google... and i did find a usermanual.. but i cant get the config part too work.. :-/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: