OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What happened to OMF?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slvc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: What happened to OMF? Reply with quote

When I was a LOT younger, I loved OMF: 2097, even if I didn't understand anything about it. I got it for Christmas... =) and it's still one of my favourite games, I don't know why. What I don't get is how OMF: BG failed... I had the demo before the game was released, it seemed really awesome, then when it came out, I didn't have enough money for it, and it kinda just went forgotten (except for when my friend I got to buy it for himself said he'd sell it for 20, but I still didn't have enough).. What are the complaints against the game? Maybe I'm repeating a post, I'm not sure, sorry if I am, but I'm really curious... This game needs to be released for XBox 360 or something, didn't they say they were thinking about that?
ouch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: What happened to OMF? Reply with quote

consoles are the sole reason for everything wrong in the world... Smile

ahem... anyway... to answer your question, OMF:BG suffered (and still does to some extent) from some major game breaking bugs. The multiplayer code is also pretty bad. even a 30 ping connection will give you some lag.

but even still, it lasted quite awhile. some still play it online (like me) although very few ever connect to the game anymore.

if you play the game against the AI I think this game is probably the best it gets. the ai isn't smart enough to abuse certain moves that makes playing online against certain people not even fun. although, certain people have mastered the moves of some of the hars which is certainly worth watching them use there skills if you can. Wink

ouch

scientifically engineered to hate StarForce

Ithon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: What happened to OMF? Reply with quote

Quote:
certainly worth watching them use there skills if you can

yeah, it's the only game that I can enjoy watching people kick my butt, I can't say that for any other game
Robyrt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What happened to OMF? Reply with quote

BG is lacking in the usual polish that accompanies a successful video game - and for good reason, it wasn't made by 50 people. It's buggy, laggy, and was very difficult to run on an average computer when it came out. Now, however, more people have broadband, better computers allow me to run the game at 1920x1200 (which looks absolutely wonderful), and so I definitely enjoy the game, as do some people in my LAN group (which neatly bypasses the lag issue).
Slvc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: What happened to OMF? Reply with quote

So... is it worth getting? I can't even find it on GameStop.com (searching for Battlegrounds and One Must Fall), and I knwo it was there when it came out... I've read posts on this, so I've been thinking. The Grand Theft Auto series is one of the most modable games I've ever played, but then again, I haven't played many games on the computer lately. Why doesn't a bunch of people that are fans and experienced in coding get together and just.. tear through the game and fix everything? Like.. I guess create a fan patch or something... I would, if I knew what to do.. but really, this game had potential..
ouch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: What happened to OMF? Reply with quote

yes, it is worth getting.

and there were mod tool going to be released, but they don't seem to be now. plus some of the bugs are just lockups and crashes. so even the mod tools are not going to fix that.

ouch

scientifically engineered to hate StarForce

X-BoT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: What happened to OMF? Reply with quote

Lately people who have been dropping in seem to have gotten the game from bargain bins for ridiculous prices like $3 or even less. Some have reported seeing it in dollar stores, IIRC. So, look around and if you're lucky, you'll find it. Most stores no longer carry the game. Some sold them for ridiculous prices and wrote them off, and others destroyed copies of it.

[ X-BoT's OMF Universe ] [ System Specs ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
FlamingMonkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: What happened to OMF? Reply with quote

Also, is the patch server for BG still up? The release version really was terrible and deserving of the fate it got; the later fixes made the game much more fun, and much less buggy.
Slvc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What happened to OMF? Reply with quote

Wow.. I feel bad for the development team. =( The demo was really awesome. This is kinda sad, it's almost like the offical OMF BG site is completely dead, and it's just a ghost of what it was then to-be.. this is the only thing active at the site, isn't it..
Zelig

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What happened to OMF? Reply with quote

Quote:
BG is lacking in the usual polish that accompanies a successful video game - and for good reason, it wasn't made by 50 people. It's buggy, laggy, and was very difficult to run on an average computer when it came out. Now, however, more people have broadband, better computers allow me to run the game at 1920x1200 (which looks absolutely wonderful), and so I definitely enjoy the game, as do some people in my LAN group (which neatly bypasses the lag issue).

Menus get wonky at high resolutions though.
veryorkish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: What happened to OMF? Reply with quote

Nah the main bug with the release version was the evade reset haha. That and the lack of a decent sp.
X-BoT

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: What happened to OMF? Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, is the patch server for BG still up?

Yup. Smile If it ever goes down you can still always get the patches at my site.

[ X-BoT's OMF Universe ] [ System Specs ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Socrates

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What happened to OMF? Reply with quote

Quote:
Nah the main bug with the release version was the evade reset haha. That and the lack of a decent sp.

and it crashed a lot.
1nKoGn17o

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What happened to OMF? Reply with quote

Meh, I think it died because there was no Nova. I mean, the Warlord was a feeble attempt, but there was just no matching that beast.
AquaRose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: What happened to OMF? Reply with quote

Hmmm... yeah... I went to buy a guyfriend of mine who was addicted to the first OMF the game and yeah, it doesn't exist anywhere that is easy to find. Very depressing thought. *Caresses her copy* Glad I got this when I could. :crazy:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> The Game All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: