OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I am Laughing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Discomb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: I am Laughing Reply with quote

At this!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: I am Laughing Reply with quote

I'm extremely iffy at this one, this was supposedly a 'new' feature for the K10 architechture (or whatever), I significantly doubt it will be in the AM2's. But if it is, that would definitely be intresting.

All errors in spelling and grammer are entirely by design in order to enrage those who have nothing left to add to the discussion and therefore seek superiority through personal attacks.
salem

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: I am Laughing Reply with quote

Yup, quite interesting, but the thing is that if the core duo has better results in multithreaded app's than the amd with reverseHT won't make much better performance.
killer_roach

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: I am Laughing Reply with quote

Reverse HyperThreading might be available in K8L, but hadn't heard anything about it with K8 AM2.

That being said... it's something that AMD has been working on for quite some time (and Intel has started work on it, too), and it would not be much of a surprise if it was there.

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Discomb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: I am Laughing Reply with quote

Did you guys completely fail to realize how moronic that article is? It gives virtually no information except create a rediculous rumor that isn't even likely, it toots AMD like the god they are definitely not, and quotes like "even an old A64 3800+ will wipe the floor with Core 2 Duo" without ANY support... God [filtered] the inquirer makes my day every day.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: I am Laughing Reply with quote

Well, if you've been reading hardware news, you'd have already heard about that feature that AMD has been planning for quite some time now. As far as "even an old A64 3800+ will wipe the floor with Core 2 Duo" goes.. I'm not at all sure about that.. but I haven't been paying much attention to benchmarks lately.

[ X-BoT's OMF Universe ] [ System Specs ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Discomb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: I am Laughing Reply with quote

Yeah I know all about reverse HT. I just don't see how socket AM2 could possibly be compatible with it, and that's why the article reads hilarious to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: I am Laughing Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah I know all about reverse HT. I just don't see how socket AM2 could possibly be compatible with it, and that's why the article reads hilarious to me.

I don't know how advancing the timing on a camshaft can improve performance without the risk of backfiring, but somehow it does. It seems like AMD put a lot of stuff up AM2's sleeve, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if this is just another one of them, along with AMD-S, AMD-V, and quad core processors.

That said, a Conroe with 4M of L2 is fast, but limited to a dual core. While an existing 3800 with reverse HT isn't going to compete, you can bet a quad core Opteron with 4x1MB of L2 (Or even 4x2mb), Reverse HT, and all the bells and whistles will. Not only that, but it will claim the status of top dog processor. Just wait and see.

Scorpion Navy Issue
killer_roach

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: I am Laughing Reply with quote

They say that, with Reverse HT, an Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (the entry-level X2) would beat most any Conroe... also, Conroe's huge performance gains seem limited to the 4MB cache versions (sadly, the most expensive ones, which will list for $400+), the 2MB cache variants have "cache thrashing" issues that hurt them in multitasking. The main thing for reverse HT is combining the instruction pipelines of the two cores... it will probably end up giving the X2 the same problems the Prescott P4 had with branch prediction, but it would also have an IPC ratio that would boggle the mind, something Prescott didn't have.

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Raven

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I am Laughing Reply with quote

Well, appearantly the Inquirer's motto includes "fiction" for a reason. A later article which I'm not about to look for says that reverse hyper threading doesn't even exist.

Scorpion Navy Issue
killer_roach

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I am Laughing Reply with quote

Well, I'm not so sure on that... even Intel has said publicly that they are working on RHT. To what extent it will work, though, is anyone's guess.

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Spockmeat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: I am Laughing Reply with quote

They'll work on it to the extent that they'll need to catch up to AMD again Wink

Blind patriotism
killer_roach

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I am Laughing Reply with quote

Isn't it AMD needing to catch up to Intel again? Granted, it's mainly just due to tripling ALU units versus the P4 and giving the top-end models 4MB of L2 cache, but right now the Core 2 Duo looks very powerful, not to mention that it overclocks like crazy (apparently the Extreme Edition chips, being completely unlocked, overclock to around 4.5GHz on air, more than 50% over stock).

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
X-BoT

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: I am Laughing Reply with quote

Quote:
...overclock to around 4.5GHz on air, more than 50% over stock...

Aren't they like 3GHz stock? o_O

[ X-BoT's OMF Universe ] [ System Specs ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
FraceR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: I am Laughing Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
...overclock to around 4.5GHz on air, more than 50% over stock...

Aren't they like 3GHz stock? o_O

2.93 yes and a 0.5 GHz overclock is consistently no trouble apparantly... And indeed some go way beyond that.

Fun stuff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: