OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

n00b linux

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dirtbag

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: n00b linux Reply with quote

okay, I might be getting linux some time soon, partly because of the nice shizzle that vuen is displaying over here. and because vista is coming up and because I'm playing less games on the computer and not to forget that winxp is slowly falling apart.

But the ploblem is;

I tried linux a few times before and, uhh we have compatibility problems,
first of all, I use a KVM switch, previously when I had (I believe it was) Suse and I switched and got back in linux I'd lost my mouse.
With mandrake I problems with my mobo networking.

What I want;

A linux distro that I can install without have to get this from here and that from there and have fun trying to get it to work (yes I'm spoiled by windows)

Can you guys give me some advise about a nice distro that I can get? I want to be able to run at least openoffice, or else I'd better not even go into linux Smile

Also I will be using a dual boot, so distro shouldn't bite windows, and I'd like to know what the best install sequence is Smile

if needed;
I'm running a 2.8 ghz amd athlon on a asus a7n8x mobo with a gig of ram and a ati 9600xt.

db
Viper-Vision

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I would get ubuntu it's the most user friendly one around and is easy to use. I have it too though I don't use it much because I need to work with programs from adobe etc.
salem

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, ubuntu seems to be the friendliest distro at this moment.

About the mobo, i've got an Asus a7n8x-x and the mobo netcard works perfectly, and also i've managed to make the sensors work (temperature and so on). You shouldn't have any problem with drivers.
Dirtbag

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm downloading some disc's now, but one of them is a live boot cd with the option to install and another is a dvd, but that's from 5.1 or something.

the live boot also supports installing, but isn't 700 meg a bit small for a complete distro? last time around I got mandrake and suse, and both were dvd's full.

Or is there less included in these distro's? (I'd assume that or the compression has gone way up Wink )

db
Raven

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Ubuntu about a 2 years ago, and it wasn't much then. It sounds like the Ubuntu project has grown in leaps and bounds since then.

FWIW, I just got a live CD of Damn Small Linux, which is a knoppix / Debian distro to work properly. If I, of all people, can do that; you can do Ubuntu with no trouble at all.

Scorpion Navy Issue
Spockmeat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, and Raven once fried a CPU. I'd suggest Ubuntu as well. It's really easy to pick up and get going with.

Blind patriotism
Raven

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spockmeat wrote:
Seriously, and Raven once fried a CPU. I'd suggest Ubuntu as well. It's really easy to pick up and get going with.

Hey, my 133 mhz Pentium MMX didn't need a heatsink and fan. Who was I to think that an Athlon XP 1700 did? =p

Scorpion Navy Issue
Dirtbag

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I tried the live disc, and all went well ( a bit slo, what does one expect ) but I couldn't acces my one fat32 disc, nor my network. I don't know but I could guess that that is a way of protecting the existing system. Also, I assume there stille isn't ntfs support for linux as of yet? Because I sometimes handle iso's that exceed the fat32 filesize limit.
BTW, does it matter if the drive from another computer that I tried to acces in Ubuntu is either NTFS or FAt32?

for everything else, it worked good, I didn't have trouble with the kvm switch, and all systems worked fom the start.

db
Cyberfrog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NTFS write support is not included from the get-go, and it sounds like it's best not to risk installing the "hack", or whatever you want to call it. You should get read access to NTFS partitions though.

Instead of FAT32, I have used Ext3 in Linux and installed a driver (http://www.fs-driver.org/) for Windows (i.e. both Linux and Windows can both read and write to the Ext3 partition(s)). Has worked great so far.
Dirtbag

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so there's a windows driver that allows you to acces linux drives, good, the other way arround but still good Smile

doesn't answers the quetion if I should be able to acces ntfs drives over the network tho.

db
Vuen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirtbag wrote:
the live boot also supports installing, but isn't 700 meg a bit small for a complete distro? last time around I got mandrake and suse, and both were dvd's full.

Yep, that's the right size. If you want any applications that aren't on the CD already, Ubuntu can just download them automatically for you, so there's no reason in downloading a huge DVD when you can just download what you need.

Make sure you're running the latest version, 6.10. Here's a direct link to what you want:
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/GetUbuntu/download#currentrelease

Dirtbag wrote:
well, I tried the live disc, and all went well ( a bit slo, what does one expect ) but I couldn't acces my one fat32 disc, nor my network. I don't know but I could guess that that is a way of protecting the existing system.

The drive, yes. You can easily enable it; just click System->Drives, or something. It's in there. Anyway if you actually install Ubuntu, you'll have the option of enabling your FAT32 drives in the installer.

As for the network, do you mean the internet, or your network shares? The internet should work out of the box, assuming you're on a wired connection. To access Windows shares on other computers, you'll have to install Samba; just hit Applications->Add Applications and find it in there.

Dirtbag wrote:
so there's a windows driver that allows you to acces linux drives, good, the other way arround but still good Smile

Better, actually. Ext2/3 is a lot better than FAT32 or NTFS. I use the same driver Cyberfrog does, EXT2IFS. Most of my drive is Ext3, where I store all my data; only a small partition is NTFS for Windows and games.

My suggestion is to do away with FAT32 entirely. It sucks. Hard.

Dirtbag wrote:
BTW, does it matter if the drive from another computer that I tried to acces in Ubuntu is either NTFS or FAt32?

Not at all. My roommates who run windows all have a mixture of FAT32 and NTFS shares, and I can access them all fine from here. I'm sharing stuff from Ext3 with symlinks across to my NTFS partition (extremely sexy, and for some reason Vista still can't do this) and it's all totally transparent to anyone else on my network.

Also, why are you guys posting in Tech Talk? There are like a dozen posts a week on this forum. Is it really necessary to categorize them?

Last edited by Vuen on Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Dirtbag

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the only drive I have that is fat is my documents drive and weill keep it that way, it doesn't need to be fast, the only thing I want it to be is reliable and secure, maybe secure can bugger up in fat but I never had that happen without the drive itself being borked.

I know I can share drives with samba, and I even gotten it to work once in mandrake I believe, I also found the add/remove program stingemebob in ubuntu and I've scrolled through there for a small peek.

I use outlook quite a bit, for email but also for everything calander, it has appointments birthdays etc etc, what program can I use best in linux to copy the same functionality in one program, and what fileformat is best to copy my entire outlook to that program Smile

btw, I started this topic here because I thought this was the best place to put it, because it is techie Smile

db
Dirtbag

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well this cookie is in the oven and waiting to be fully baked Smile

At this mometn I'm installing win xp fresh, and will make that a basic install, to be able to return to, after that Ubuntu will have it's turn Smile

/edit
to avoid a multipost.

funky banmeplease..

I backupped my files from winxp to another drive, I booted the xp disc, and wiped 4 partitions from a 120 gig drive leaving my documents drive intact (as intended of course Smile ) I make a new partition of 40 gig on the 120 gig drive, leaving about 80 for linux, I install win xp, and the first thing that draws my attention...

My trash bin is full, all the files that I had in there are still there, and that after having the entire drive wiped clean!

So if you want to have something survive a entire wipe.... put it in your trashbin, way to go windows Very Happy

db
Vuen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
well the only drive I have that is fat is my documents drive and weill keep it that way, it doesn't need to be fast, the only thing I want it to be is reliable and secure

Hahaha, if you're looking for reliable, FAT32 is about the WORST possible filesystem you could use. You should be using Ext3, it's the most ridiculously stable filesystem in existence. As far as security goes, I don't know what you mean; for unencrypted data, anyone who has local access to the machine can read the data anyway so the "security" of a filesystem doesn't really make sense.

Quote:
I use outlook quite a bit, for email but also for everything calander, it has appointments birthdays etc etc, what program can I use best in linux to copy the same functionality in one program, and what fileformat is best to copy my entire outlook to that program

Ubuntu comes default with a program called Evolution, which is basically a free version of Outlook. I've never used it but apparently it's pretty sweet. You can check out documentation, screenshots, etc. here:

http://www.gnome.org/projects/evolution/

Unfortunately it can't directly import Outlook's data, but you can export stuff from Outlook. I don't know what format you should use though. Just export your Outlook data in each format it lets you, then hop into Ubuntu and try importing each one until one works.
Dirtbag

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Unfortunately it can't directly import Outlook's data, but you can export stuff from Outlook. I don't know what format you should use though. Just export your Outlook data in each format it lets you, then hop into Ubuntu and try importing each one until one works.

yeah I already took that program into use, but it's a real pain in the arse. basicly, to export your posts you could use another mail program that can read from outlook, like mozilla mail/thunderbird. then save the files from that mail program and port them into evolution.

Then after some digging I found out to copy you contacts you have to export them one by one to vcards, and import those one by one into evolution. Agenda points are better typed over by hand, repeating ones don't survive, and single events do pass on. but I haven't gotten many of them.

also I just found out during the typing of this post that Firefox has build in spell checking, cool, that will come in handy Smile

I do have to work out to get my printer working, the wretched old thing Smile it is supposed to work, but with a little help. Also I found a nice beginners guide:
http://users.netwit.net.au/~pursang/dtil/howto_toc.html

which I will have to read Smile

Merry Christmas all of you Smile

db
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: