OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

With all the new stuff thats been comming out...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veryorkish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: With all the new stuff thats been comming out... Reply with quote

In the hardware world I'm kinda scared to upgrade my computer. First they had 64 bit proccessors then 64 bit + dual core proccessors, and now 64 bit + Quad core proccessors. I'm afraid that once I buy a Quad core proccessor (If say $1000 magicly fell into my lap) it will shortly be made obsolete by the next latest greatest thing. Already now Newegg is selling some of the 64 bit proccys for $50 which haven't been around for all that long. Anywho I guess once Ati gets its rear in gear with thier new Dx10 cards I can safely buy a 8800Gtx. But as far as proccessors go are they going to come out with an 'octo core' proccessor anytime soon?
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trick that works for me is to buy the one thing that have dumped the most in price resently. that way its still in the middle range, and acn run most anything for the next 1-2 years forward. and at that time you can just buy another in the same range and still saved money cmopared to buying one of the big exspencive things.
NightShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree with Raptor. Wait a couple of months for the next greatest thing to come out, and then buy the stuff that is currently considered top of the line. You'll save a lot of money, and you won't really lose out in longevity.

If you're really concerned, you could always just put the money you saved into a savings account, and use that money to upgrade the next time your system needs it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
killer_roach

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eight cores won't be seen apart from specialized chips and some server processors for quite some time... simply put, coding for eight cores is a nightmare. For my purposes, I'd rather see a decent-performing quad core or a very fast dual core, thank you very much.

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Zelig

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter what/when you order, your stuff is going to be obsolete in a couple years anyway, with the difference between mid-range and top-end components being maybe a year.
veryorkish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but since I use 3ds max on a regular basis I want to be somewhat top of te line so that my renders don't take days to come out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: