OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working with tools
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvereb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will these tools work with windows vista? If not, that is okay as I am attempting to dual boot xp anyways, but I was just curious.
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDRRE wrote:

Exactly.
Like all those 2-page-long balance whiners etc....
we could sit together, open a server and see what's true and what isn't, tweak fighter settings and get a balanced game.

Those threads were the majority vs the minority who didnt want to admit that a lot of their skill in the game came from the bot that they were using. Generally, those who are/were in the beta agreed in what robots were severely underpowered/overpowered

Leader of the Forgotten Clan
Laptop Bunny Stats
()_() Mobility Radeon HD 5870
( ._.) Intel Core i7 1.6GHz (720QM)
((")(") 8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64Bit
DDRRE

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay.
Because all my online play was with people I brought into the game, I didn't teach them how to be lame.
But I played once vs. a Mantis and it spammed the hell out of me. I don't know... at least we could let ask people what they though and fix it.
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDRRE wrote:

But I played once vs. a Mantis and it spammed the hell out of me. I don't know... at least we could let ask people what they though and fix it.

it's general knowledge that Mantis can't be outspammed with ranged attacks, and that its melee is has a much higher precidence over other robots... and it has a single attack face spam... RP RP RP RP RP RP... virtually impossible to counter attack in lag, plus most other HAR's attacks have a lower precidence compared to the Mantis RP

Laptop Bunny Stats
((")(") 8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64Bit
DDRRE

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then we should try to code newnet netcode for the game. Because I faced the Mantis in a laggy situation.
salem

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to work with mod-tools, but I don't know if i'll have time.
Also, could someone make a quick explanation of how you use them? Smile
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDRRE wrote:
Then we should try to code newnet netcode for the game. Because I faced the Mantis in a laggy situation.

If you're expecting the lag to be as minimal as in, say... an FPS, it's not going to happen. The mechanics between a fighter and an FPS are much different. In an FPS, it's a matter of getting shot, or not getting shot. In a fighter, it's a matter of who's computer thought you blocked, which attacks register first, and which have more precidence. For example, in an FPS, both people can shoot eachother, and the server can figure out who got damaged along the way... you don't stop shooting if you got shot. In a fighter, the server has to see who hit who, and stop the one who got hit from the attack... sure, with a better netcode, you would be able to see what actually happened faster, but it won't work as well as in an FPS.

Laptop Bunny Stats
((")(") 8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64Bit
Rob Elam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurker wrote:
The mechanics between a fighter and an FPS are much different.

I thought about responding to this, but yea, thatís a good description of why fighter networking is much harder. Itís definitely a matter of design, not implementation. If I disabled block and get hit animations, the networking code may look awesome to some, but thatís because the problem isnít the networking code. I have some content thatís shooter content, I should get the networking going with the shooter content just to show people that the networking code isnít a problem . Itíd be great if the networking code was the problem, because then itíd be fixable, but as it stands I think the really hardcore fighter players are only going to be happy playing the game on a LAN, because even at a consistent ping of say 50, higher end players are going to see Ďheavyí corrections.
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Like all those 2-page-long balance whiners etc....
we could sit together, open a server and see what's true and what isn't, tweak fighter settings and get a balanced game.

And here I thought that those said balance whiners had actually done just that, and played the game for a year or two as well against each-others, and you know, gotten to know the game real well ? I guess I was all wrong then.
Raven

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me, or has this whole issue been discussed quite thoroughly several times before?

Scorpion Navy Issue
cimics

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I decided to look in on the forums, and I see THIS. Very Happy

I think I would be interested in fiddling with the arenas, and perhaps other stuff.

I have done a little bit of game constructing with clickteam's multimedia fusion (see http://www.sntjohnny.com/laserchess/ or alternate site:
http://home.austin.rr.com/cimics/game.html -- either requires download and install of the "vitalize" plugin), so I have some aptitude for this sort of thing, but it will be a matter of finding the time (I have a family and a law job to distract me Smile ) and seeing how well I can get a handle on how the tools work (I may find that it's out of my league, but I'd like to try Very Happy ).

I'll send an email.
Endy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very interested in seeing what people come up with - coughomf2097totalconversionteamcough

*If anyones idea involves some type of additional balance modding without significantly altering the game from its current form (IE: fix blocking abuse and facespam, fix useless moves and one hit wonder moves, add more depth to the blocking and combo systems, rework the overall vision for katana and chronos) I'd love to hear about it.
Lita

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, its been ages since I paid this joint a visit but yeah, not like ppl care. Razz However I`m back and I`d love to work with the tools..

The first ever female who took legit claim to her gender on these boards and the only female beta tester of OMF BG.

Raven

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought your name sounded familiar. Unfortunately, that last post by Endy in March was the last thing we heard about this. If there is any open source mod tools being used, most of us don't know about it.

Best of luck anyway. I hope Rob gets back to you.

Scorpion Navy Issue
DDRRE

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
I thought your name sounded familiar. Unfortunately, that last post by Endy in March was the last thing we heard about this. If there is any open source mod tools being used, most of us don't know about it.

Best of luck anyway. I hope Rob gets back to you.

By most of us you mean most of us that had previously "leeched" the tools (you)?
I can assure you the tools are real.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> The Game All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: