OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If there was an OMF3 what would you like to see in it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheng_Gradilla

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I recall correctly, OMF 2097 was made with Autodesk's Autoshade 3D or something like that, so all the characters were modeled and animated in 3D, even Flail, so it's not likely that the problem with Flail not appearing had anything to do with the motion capture. There are many ways to do it, even special motion capture techniques that can be done with regular mocap equipment.
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheng_Gradilla wrote:
if I recall correctly, OMF 2097 was made with Autodesk's Autoshade 3D or something like that, so all the characters were modeled and animated in 3D, even Flail, so it's not likely that the problem with Flail not appearing had anything to do with the motion capture. There are many ways to do it, even special motion capture techniques that can be done with regular mocap equipment.

And do omf2097 have anything at all to do with realistic movement, realistic chainmovement, or accurate falling animations etc ? Of corse not. No robots for omf2097 was motion captured.

If you absolutelly WANTED to, yes you could dedicate a humongous amount of time to sit down and manually create one, or even motion capture a normal human and make slight alterations manually (That is what tehy did with Gargoyle's legs in OMF:BG, and from what I recal, even that was a bother). But no games developer in their right mind would do that, becose it would take to much time for something barelly worth it, unless you're already a gazillionare company and CAN afford to do such things.

Tempting to quote PBN here:
PhreakyByNature wrote:
I love the fact you'll remove all functionality and do the stupidest things to defend something.... i love OMFers

Wraiyth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, god forbid Valve actually had non-humaoid creatures in Half Life 1! Hell, even Half Life 2! I mean, god, fancy having 20 animations for a 4 legged creature! This is insane! How could they spend the time doing that!
veryorkish

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its cause they have the monies... Wink

Actually keyframe animation isn't as hard as you people make it out to be. It's just fairly time consuming.
Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veryorkish wrote:
Actually keyframe animation isn't as hard as you people make it out to be. It's just fairly time consuming.

I'll agree to that one. You just gotta persist and try to keep that spline as simple as possible.

I'd want to see OMF 3 with great gameplay and replay value. I don't care if it looks brand new, if those animations look like they came from 1999, or if there were certain hars that needed nerfing. That's about it.

Scorpion Navy Issue
Robyrt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If memory serves, there was a motion capture setup for OMF 2097 too. Some stuff you just have to hand-animate, though - Gargoyle's legs (although in 2097 they are mostly just human legs with restricted movement), Flail's chains, etc.

I would love to see Flail implemented in the OMF universe someday, as unique characters like him really enforce the giant robot concept and the newness of OMF in general. You'd have to concept him differently than you did in 2097 though - he needs jump jets to reach high places, some replacement for those ridiculous spiky wheels, and more frames per second than 2097 could do justice.
Sabotage

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robyrt wrote:
If memory serves, there was a motion capture setup for OMF 2097 too. Some stuff you just have to hand-animate, though - Gargoyle's legs (although in 2097 they are mostly just human legs with restricted movement), Flail's chains, etc.

I would love to see Flail implemented in the OMF universe someday, as unique characters like him really enforce the giant robot concept and the newness of OMF in general. You'd have to concept him differently than you did in 2097 though - he needs jump jets to reach high places, some replacement for those ridiculous spiky wheels, and more frames per second than 2097 could do justice.

Really? I didn't know that about 2097. Yeah, the spiked wheels on the Flail would look a little strange in 3D so perhaps unspiked wheels and jump jets for reaching higher places?
Raven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robyrt wrote:

X2. There's probably an interview floating around where it was mentioned. I think turning flail into something more like a gecko with the flail on it's back would work. Jetpacks are overdone.

While I do admit there's something novel about animations like that and how they can be more easily accepted than ones with more frames, I do think that more than anything smooth and fluent animation plays the critical role in visual appeal of a game.

Scorpion Navy Issue
Sabotage

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now out of the six robots that didn't return, how do you think they should look and be implemented if they ever were to return?

Flail - Short, tank treads with a little hydraulic attachments for jumping, muscular looking arms with a whole in the wrists from which the chains come.

Shredder - Medium height, skinny, small circular saw blades for hands.

Up in the air about the rest ATM.
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nova should look like a 300000 Megaton hydrogen bomb with legs.

Leader of the Forgotten Clan
Laptop Bunny Stats
()_() Mobility Radeon HD 5870
( ._.) Intel Core i7 1.6GHz (720QM)
((")(") 8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64Bit
veryorkish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that would enhance a new omf, (which more than likely will never come out) would be make the pilots useful by giving them the moveset and the har the special moves. Giving the game depth and make you think a little more about which har/pilot combo you choose. Imho, having 10 or 12 characters that actually mean something is way better than having 50+ that don't. I mean honestly in bg there was only one character that good players picked anyway which was Kegan. Except of course for some stupid reason you wanted to play the extremely unbalanced demolition mode, which everyone picks Xante.
Ori Klein

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Nova
2. Tournament Mode ("RPG" with pilot attributes, upgradeable parts, et cetera)
3. More team-oriented game types (multiplayer, of course, d'uh) and orginized team vs team or such leagues support.

OMF 2097 was created on:
Watcom C++ v10 (compiler) - code
Autodesk 3D Studio - robot models
Deluxe Paint II - all artwork
Future Crew's Scream Tracker v3.0 - background music

A side project game that may never finish. Wink
GodzukiTest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. endy lendari
2. not ori klein cause hes a pussy bitch (no offense)
3. a christian that doesn't look like a flaming homo (as in crystal's brother)
Sabotage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that kind of confused me was that the character of Ibraham completely changed from a dark skinned black guy to a white guy. I'm like "Huh? What the hell is this?" Is there some sort of reason as to why?

As for Christian, he did look flaming gay. Doesn't really suit the character if you ask me.
Ori Klein

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish...I would sex myself up all day long.

Quite frankly, I don't think I'll make a good pilot...or 'bot...the Nova is unconditional, though.

A side project game that may never finish. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> The Game All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: