OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finally done with my military training!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NightShadow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Finally done with my military training! Reply with quote

Well, I'm back, finally. Training sucked... I can't believe how stupid people can be, worse yet, I can't believe some of those people will be allowed into combat. Hopefully they'll get smarter or get shot before some other soldier gets shot because of them.

My job specific training was incredibly easy... 25 multiple choice questions, at least 1 hour time limit, pre-test reviews usually provided answers for virtually the entire test, open note, and open book. Even still some people failed some of the tests. However, it did help me achieve a 100% on all tests, which earned me an Army Achievement Medal. Smile

But yeah, I'm back, still kinda tired, glad to be off base. And I'm National Guard, so hopefully I won't have to worry about staying on a base for awhile.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Endy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your comments are interesting because some of the most competent people that I have ever worked with have had past military experiences.
Raven

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same experience here. I've never met a (ex)marine who wasn't sharp as a tack. I'd go so far as to say that their post-training experiences are what makes them that way.

Scorpion Navy Issue
NightShadow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did meet some pretty intelligent people while I was there. It is just that some of the people I met were the very definition of stupid. I'm also sure that post-training experiences will help them seem more competent.

Really surprised me as well, 'cause every ex-soldier I'd met seemed pretty competent to me. Maybe it has to do with the more relaxed training that's done now compared the training of the past?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
killer_roach

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That or they need time for their experiences to sink in, one or the other.

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Socrates

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really? most ex-marines ive seen are psychopaths that walk around walmart in army gear
Meowbeast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: recruitment standards Reply with quote

Quote:
Really surprised me as well, 'cause every ex-soldier I'd met seemed pretty competent to me. Maybe it has to do with the more relaxed training that's done now compared the training of the past?

Well they did lower the standards in order to recruit more people. I've also heard horror stories of recruiters telling drug addicts how to beat the drug test.
LacticAcid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently in National Guard training you can actually tell a drill sergeant to stop yelling at you?

My cousin was in force recon, he's sharp but he's a complete nihilist now.

http://gh.ffshrine.org/?r=79123 (Go here for video game soundtracks, mp3 not midi)
ouch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The triumphant return of the 1000 ping has come!

lol j/k, congrads on your training completion.

ouch

scientifically engineered to hate StarForce

Endy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Socrates wrote:
really? most ex-marines ive seen are psychopaths that walk around walmart in army gear

LOL Very Happy

Yeah but Walmart attracts the worst that society has to offer. Seriously, just spending 5mins in line at the checkout in that store makes me cringe and regret being a human. I'm pretty sure that you could come up with a lot more "banmeplease I saw at Walmart" lines. Hell it would probably make a good comedy sketch.
Xaronth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LacticAcid wrote:
Apparently in National Guard training you can actually tell a drill sergeant to stop yelling at you?

I always thought these were rumours.
"A thin line separates us. I call it 'talent'". -Ken Masters
NightShadow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Well, National Guard trains with Regular Army, so there's no difference between the two for training.

However, drill sergeants are not allowed to use any foul language if a trainee finds it offensive (happened in my unit). Also, one of the trainees in my unit managed to get away with yelling at a drill sergeant because that drill sergeant had spit a little bit on him while yelling at him. He's the only one I know of that was able to get away with talking back at a drill sergeant in any matter, let alone yelling at one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: