OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killer_roach

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: New system Reply with quote

After having some issues with a troublesome motherboard, I decided it was time to upgrade again. This turned out to be almost a wholesale upgrade, but still... here's what I got.

Thermaltake Armor+MX case
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Biostar Tpower I45 motherboard (Intel P45-based)
4GB Mushkin DDR2-1066 (2x2GB)
MSI Radeon HD 4850 w/ quad copper heatpipe
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Still reserving the right to Crossfire the 4850 later on... we shall see.

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Malfrex
Ancient One

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents:

Case - nice choice. I'm partial to my Silverstone but the CW-03 just cost too much so it's on the "to do" list.

CPU - Was going to say the Q9550 wasn't worth the speed jump, but then I noticed it dropped in price since I got my Q9450. Was over a $100 price difference for ~200Mhz increase, which I didn't think was worth it.

Mobo - Biostar is not a preferred company in my book, but the P45 chipset is solid. I splurged on the X48 chipset, although having dual PCI-E x16 doesn't really make real-world difference for Crossfire (although the extra SATA ports does for me...).

RAM - Timings? Not that it matters too much, but curiosity settles in.

Video - good price/performance ratio. I figured the extra $100 for the 4870 was worth it :p

OS - Ultimate is NOT worth the price IMHO unless you are configuring your own private network. Home Premium covers all the bases without costing a crazy amount.

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
i7 3770k (will OC @4.5Ghz)
2x8GB G.SKILL DDR3-2600
MSI 7970 3GB
Crucial M4 128GB
~10.9TB RAID 5 (4x 4TB)
ouch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thing with biostar is that they are not particularly fast, but they are built like a tank and will last forever even if they are abused.

I run an office with 6 computers, 2 of them have biostar boards. I also have an old 333mhz biostar board that still runs today. (it's almost 10 years old now!)

ouch

scientifically engineered to hate StarForce

killer_roach

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slasher wrote:
My 2 cents:

Case - nice choice. I'm partial to my Silverstone but the CW-03 just cost too much so it's on the "to do" list.

Main reason for me was just because it was cheap enough for my purposes, and it looked cool. When it's to finally replace a nearly decade-old Enlight case that is corroded and warped... yeah.
Quote:
CPU - Was going to say the Q9550 wasn't worth the speed jump, but then I noticed it dropped in price since I got my Q9450. Was over a $100 price difference for ~200Mhz increase, which I didn't think was worth it.

Definitely considered the Q9450, but with the price drop, it made my choice a lot easier.
Quote:
Mobo - Biostar is not a preferred company in my book, but the P45 chipset is solid. I splurged on the X48 chipset, although having dual PCI-E x16 doesn't really make real-world difference for Crossfire (although the extra SATA ports does for me...).

Was reading some reviews on the Biostar, and it seems to be a beast of a board at a rather good price. I'm interested in putting this thing through its paces. Main concern was getting a P45 or X48 board, though (as, feature-rich as they are, a 780i can't do Crossfire). Needless to say, though, the X48 boards, while drool-worthy, weren't worth it. No way am I paying as much for a motherboard as I am for a mid-high-end CPU.
Quote:
RAM - Timings? Not that it matters too much, but curiosity settles in.

Timings are 5-5-5-15 at 1.9V. For DDR2-1066, was more of a concern of looking for lower voltages to give me headroom, as almost everything at that binning is either 5-5-5-15 or 5-5-5-18.
Quote:
Video - good price/performance ratio. I figured the extra $100 for the 4870 was worth it :p

And I thought the aftermarket cooling solution on mine was worth it. Seriously, it's quieter than my power supply. Worst-case scenario, I Crossfire it if I need more power.
Quote:
OS - Ultimate is NOT worth the price IMHO unless you are configuring your own private network. Home Premium covers all the bases without costing a crazy amount.

Student discount - paid less for it than I would have getting Home Premium from Newegg. Smile Even still, an OEM copy from Newegg is less than what XP Pro was selling for just a couple years ago...

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
killer_roach

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I got all my hardware in, assembled, although I sent it in to a shop because I was having problems getting the heatsink to mount properly. Oy. That's fixed, I'm now out $20, and I'd have it to test later today were it not for the pesky detail of my being in work or class until 8 today, so I'll have to wait until after I get out of work tomorrow to get everything set up.

Update 2: Ran 3DMark Vantage on it, scored P6868... any good?

Update 3: Crossfired my 4850. Vantage score now is P11820.

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: