OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where is Spore?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Where is Spore? Reply with quote

One of this years largest dissapointments for me, was to find that the game Spore was released, and yet, I have heard not a single word from anyone here on this site about it...

I remember alot of omf'ers was very hyped up about this game, and I remember the first rumors was swallowed up whole, and people listed it as the only game they where interested in this year etc.

So why have noone mentioned it ?

I haven't gotten around to buy it myself yet, becose the computer probablly will have trouble playing it, and I don't mind waiting a year anyways, as I will probblly have a bit better computer by then, and the game will probablly be rid of any problems. Not to mention, knowing how Gamestop works, I can probablly pick it up for less than half the price Smile

So come on people, tell me about you experience with Spore!
killer_roach

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My computer can run it, but I was never really one of the "OMG Spore" people around here. I had a pretty good amount of skepticism about it, and it seems that sadly it has been borne out. Granted, I'm not going off on a DRM rant (personally I think that it's becoming more of an excuse for people to justify pirating the game, as the system as it exists would only be a marginal effect on my perceived value of the game), but it's just seeming to be a bit underwhelming, from what I've heard from others.

That aside, my local Best Buy still has copies of the Galactic Edition of the game, which I'm sure they'll try to price drop into selling somewhere along the line here... hehe.

The saddest thing for me is it seems like this game will ultimately be "Simmed" to death via expansions...

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
FlamingMonkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's a fun game, but it's not amazing like we all thought it was a while ago. Some features even appear to be totally missing, despite having been shown to the public in previous builds; look at that 35-minute Will Wright game preview that was out a good long time ago (GDC 2005), and you'll see aquatic creatures, procedurally-generated animations that actually affect the creature's abilities, and a bunch of other really awesome stuff that was cut.

Yeah, about creations: it's actually quite boring to make and play your creations after the first time around, because you eventually just realize that your creative design has no impact on anything at all. In the 2005 video, the shape you made your creature into impacted its walking speed, the way it uses its abilities, etc. Now it's just what feet, hands and mouth you put on the thing. The shape plays no role whatsoever.

...And the next two evolutionary phases aren't laid out too well. While you can lounge around and do what you want for as long as you want in the Cell, Creature, and Space stages, Tribal and Civilization stages have a fixed goal where you can't really do anything afterwards, and that goal is achieved way too quickly. In both, the idea is to make friends with or take over your rivals. You have a fixed number of rivals, no surprises, and that is really the only thing to do. There's no 'tending to your empire' or anything, just take the other guys over and it's done. Tribal and Civilization stages have more in common with Warcraft than Simcity or Civilization. I think the worst part was that I spent like two hours coming up with cool building and vehicle designs for Civilization stage, and it was over in fifteen minutes. You keep those things in Space stage, but you're not in control of them any more and they don't matter.

Basically, my problem with Spore in a 'TLDR' format: You make stuff, and its design doesn't affect anything. Once you see that, you realize that you're just reskinning a relatively bland and simplistic game over and over.
NightShadow

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really hyped about the game, but I'm not so hyped anymore. The DRM really turned me off of the game when it was first released. It is not such a large deal now that EA will be offering a way to disassociate the game from any computer it was installed on, effectively making the 3 install limit not matter. I would prefer to be able to install the game on both of my computers without any troubles, but it's not as important. From what I've heard, the game isn't as fun as everybody was hoping, either.

Besides, Fallout 3 is coming out sometime this month, and I am definitely going to buy that. I don't really have any time or money to waste on a game that I might like; I'll definitely like Fallout 3, so that's where my time and money will be going. There's also the side benefit of not supporting evil EA or the ridiculous DRM they supported and the limitations they tried to get away with.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FlamingMonkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But... they didn't get away with it. They caved. The 5-install limit is the only downside right now, and it's likely that it won't last either. I'm honestly surprised everyone's still pissed; has the world forgotten the horrors of viral DRM that was popular a couple years ago?
Lurker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FM's first post sums it up pretty well...

I was really looking forward to the procedural stuff.

... and Aquatic creatures... I tried taking my creature out to sea... A giant creature jumped out and ate it Sad

Leader of the Forgotten Clan
Laptop Bunny Stats
()_() Mobility Radeon HD 5870
( ._.) Intel Core i7 1.6GHz (720QM)
((")(") 8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64Bit
Raven

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Spore at a friends house. Watched him and his wife play through it, the game looked ridiculously short. On top of that it just looked too simple. I never looked at the game before release and really didn't care about it's release. From this apathetic POV, it looked more like a text-book EA over-DRM'd rapid release. The piss poor reviews of the game on Newegg.com seem to reflect this.

Scorpion Navy Issue
Cyberfrog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take this opportunity to spam some creatures.

The game is good, but aside from the creative aspects it is not fantastic.
Endy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlamingMonkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFS Endy, not everyone is running at freaking 2400 x 1500. Not having a great computer has its own disadvantages without having people actively punishing me for having a 5-year old system.
Endy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

not everyone is running at freaking 2400 x 1500

Why not?
killer_roach

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably because that's not supported by my 24" LCD, and I don't really have enough desk space to warrant a 30".

Seriously, that's just unnecessary.

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Dzament

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24405230-2,00.html?from=public_rss

If you play spore, you're dumb, it's got the fucking starforce bullshit in it

Too bad you gotta wipe your HD to get rid of it, suckers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dzament wrote:
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24405230-2,00.html?from=public_rss

If you play spore, you're dumb, it's got the fucking starforce bullshit in it

Too bad you gotta wipe your HD to get rid of it, suckers

StarForce was never used by EA; Spore uses a version of SecuROM for DRM that remains encapsulated with the Spore executable. If you want to get rid of that version of StarForce, just delete it. Problem solved.

Unlike StarForce, SecuROM runs in user mode (not kernel mode). While there are potential issues related to the application of SecuROM in this game (in terms of the conditions it puts on users), comparing it to StarForce is hyperbole.

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Endy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur, while all DRM restricts fair use rights (primarily the right to a personal backup copy and potentially the right to move the license from one machine to another at will) and some versions of SecuROM were getting pretty invasive security-wise, this is not one of them.

From a security standpoint this DRM isn't granted excessive rights by the OS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: