OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starcraft 2 Beta Sign Ups Open
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SirHandsome

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well SC1 already had the formula for competitive RTS down extremely well, so yeah blizzard has been pretty conservative with changes as to not upset fans. they're not going to do a complete departure like Warcraft II to Warcraft III because honestly that's the exact opposite of what their target market with this game wants.

All starcraft really needed was a facelift, interface, and online matchmaking changes, honestly. Interface improvements especially are nice, because they make higher enjoyment of the game more accessible to people who are fast with their brain, but not so fast with their fingers than before

The new units make the game feel fresh, but old concepts and gameplay still apply. There's not even any new races, so it's definitely not something that feels like a totally new experience
killer_roach

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except many of the biggest changes from Warcraft II to Warcraft III were left on the cutting room floor, deciding they didn't want to mess with the formula any more than was necessary.

Starcraft was a great RTS when it came out, but its underlying game mechanics were starting to get a bit long in the tooth when Brood War came out, much less today. Now it just seems like a cop-out on the order of a fan-made update to an old game, except they're going to charge three times for it...

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
SirHandsome

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WC3 is an enormous departure from WC2 and Starcraft, despite any plans that were cut

Starcraft 2 is obviously a sequel, so in my eyes the only thing it "should" do is improve on the original in every way possible

My multiplayer Starcraft 2 matches are already much more enjoyable and exciting than the average Starcraft 1 match. since Starcraft is probably my favorite game of all time, that's saying something. So as a sequel that's only job is to improve on the original, I'd say "mission accomplished"
killer_roach

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sequels don't have to be cookie-cutter rehashes of the prior games, though.

Maybe I'm just not enough of an RTS player to recognize the major differences in the gameplay, but Starcraft II simply looks like Starcraft with a shiny new coat of paint rather than an attempt to try to take the game into new territory.

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

killer_roach wrote:
Sequels don't have to be cookie-cutter rehashes of the prior games, though.

Maybe I'm just not enough of an RTS player to recognize the major differences in the gameplay, but Starcraft II simply looks like Starcraft with a shiny new coat of paint rather than an attempt to try to take the game into new territory.

And I believe this to be the point Magnifico also tries to make, becose inherently what 99% of all StarCraft players want, is not warcraft3 for starcraft, but for all practical purposes a new expansion pack for starcraft 1 with new graphics.

And for that purpose, Starcraft2 looks perfect. If you want innovative gameplay, look elsewhere.

As fan-service goes, this game sounds near to perfect.

And for the obvious mumbo jumbo; nope, I have not played, nor am I going to bother to. For the usual reasons, I have stated a few hundred times before.
SirHandsome

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, exactly Raptor.

Do I like innovation? Yes. Do I wish there were more innovative games coming out these days? Hell yes. Does that mean that I think every game should go into uncharted territory to get my respect? Nah.

Personally I think innovation is best left for new franchises. That way you don't step on the toes of anxious fans, and you get to please people looking for new stuff as well. New franchises are something we need more of, too. THere's just too many sequels coming out lately.

Blizzard may not be majorly innovative, but they aren't the worst offenders at pumping out soulless cookie cutter rehashes, either. Starcraft 2 may be an overhaul... but Starcraft is what 13 years old now? It's not like the newest version of Starcraft was shoved down our throats every 2 years over the last decade.

It's pretty much exactly what fans have been asking for during the last decade.
Xaronth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starcraft is so good though.
"A thin line separates us. I call it 'talent'". -Ken Masters
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Magnifico on that, existing franchises should stick to the formula to please existing fans, and new franchises should try to be more innovative/creative. And yes, all to few of the later ones lately (like the last 10 years or so).

But making a game nowadays takes lots of money and time. People expect more polishing and details than ever before, and that means larger budgets and more workers. So for something to fail today is a big issue, much larger than it used to be. And seen from that perspective I can understand why they try to be as safe and secure in their planning when making a game.

After all, MMO, FPS and RTS sells on pc. Why make anything else ? And why change from the more or less standard of each such genre ? And the more mainstream gaming becomes (more and more lately) the more known and familiar names get important.

The last 10 years or so, I've mainly looked to N-DS games myself as the most interesting media for me. Because for the last bunch of years, most creative or just weird games have been released on the DS (Japanese designers + the low price for people to develop on the machine combined with low graphical detail). But notice more and more that for example Gamestop just stops taking in such games, because they don't sell.

They more and more aim to sit back with the traditional guaranteed sellers (anything mario, anything movie based, anything for kids (dora, josephine, learn to play, horses and pony games etc), pokemon and a few others. And a few dosen copycats and ripoffs.

So for me, whe looking for interesting games, I can almost give up going to local stores nowadays, becose they just doesn't have anything any-longer. Looks like I'll have to get used to order things online from places like playasia etc.

Yes, rant off.

Xaronth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss shareware cds and asian warez cds.
"A thin line separates us. I call it 'talent'". -Ken Masters
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding sequels, new franchises and innovations...

I hate it when they take a great game, and they're like "Let's take this great game, make a sequel with new mechanics, and release that suckfest"
It's like if they made a James Bond movie sequel into a musical with no explosions or fancy vehicles.

If a game deserves a sequel, any innovations in such a sequel shouldn't mess with the original's main formula. Otherwise it's just a new game that's made to look like an older game, not a true sequel.

But as far as innovations that add to gameplay positively, ie. the gravity gun in HalfLife2, those are great. For the gravity gun, it added to the game in a fun manner, while keeping the main formula of the HalfLife universe in check.

Leader of the Forgotten Clan
Laptop Bunny Stats
()_() Mobility Radeon HD 5870
( ._.) Intel Core i7 1.6GHz (720QM)
((")(") 8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64Bit
Lurker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I decided to check futureshop's website to see if they were listing a release date for SC2 yet, and they were. They're quoting May 31st right now.

edit: (Same with bestbuy's website)

Laptop Bunny Stats
((")(") 8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64Bit
SirHandsome

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurker wrote:
Regarding sequels, new franchises and innovations...

I hate it when they take a great game, and they're like "Let's take this great game, make a sequel with new mechanics, and release that suckfest"
It's like if they made a James Bond movie sequel into a musical with no explosions or fancy vehicles.

If a game deserves a sequel, any innovations in such a sequel shouldn't mess with the original's main formula. Otherwise it's just a new game that's made to look like an older game, not a true sequel.

But as far as innovations that add to gameplay positively, ie. the gravity gun in HalfLife2, those are great. For the gravity gun, it added to the game in a fun manner, while keeping the main formula of the HalfLife universe in check.

Well put, this is exactly how I feel
SirHandsome

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone who wants one now can get one (a SC2 beta key) by preordering the game thorugh Amazon or Gamestop

Dunno how long it will last, but its there for anyone who really wants it now. They shouda done this to begin with, heh.

Last edited by SirHandsome on Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
dvereb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about this game. I finally got around to finding my old cd keys to get in on the beta, and they accepted me a few weeks ago. I started it up, played three games before going to sleep, and I have yet to play it since. My computer is so old the graphics don't really look all that much better, and the gameplay is pretty much the same as before to me. I never did get too into it, I just played with a few friends on LAN every once and a while. Looks like I'll be taking my starcraft pre-order money and putting it elsewhere.

Hopefully Diablo 3 blows my socks off Smile
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked Futureshop again, and now they've changed the page to say "estimated release date" instead of just quoting a date.
They're estimating July 31 now.

Laptop Bunny Stats
((")(") 8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64Bit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: