OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So, what's happening these days?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D347H

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: So, what's happening these days? Reply with quote

So, what's Rob doing these days?
Has there been anything new in the last couple years regarding the OMF series?
What happened to those fan-projects of OMF? (Ruby, Destiny, and there was an HAR creator, from memory. Any others?)

Update me.

Figured this didn't really warrant a place in the Game forum, so I just posted it here.
Raven

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all by memory and grapevine rumors, so don't quote me on it...

Diversions Entertainment is now a one man show. Mr. Elam is now the sole CEO, CFO, CIO, Top management, middle management, supervisor, and employee of the company. There were hints here and there that he was working on something, however these days you just can't make a game on your own.

Most of the mods went the way of BG. As real life or other projects kicked in, priorities took modding BG out of the picture.

And now we all lurk.

Scorpion Navy Issue
Wayne Frazee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id say thats about the long and short of it. After DE kind of dissolved in April of 2003 or so, Rob has been pretty much a one man band doing what he likes to do because he likes to do it.

I havent really talked to anyone else in a while, not because i don't want to but just because its impossible to get a hold of them Smile

Crazy to think that it was something like 6 years ago now. I feel old.

These days I work for a Microsoft consultancy.

In the community, pretty much everything is just being left up but neglected. Hopefully Rob has been keeping the domain name payments up to date Smile

Most of the fan sites are either silent or at least active development has pretty much ceased.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
FlamingMonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMF in general is at -9 hit points at the moment. Confused
Raven

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our own Mr. Oakley is hosting the site and forums, so I don't think there's a worry about the forums going down.

Scorpion Navy Issue
takuban

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
Our own Mr. Oakley is hosting the site and forums, so I don't think there's a worry about the forums going down.

That's correct. Rob will definitely keep the domain name. No reason to not renew it each year. And I'm hosting the site and message board (though it is impossible to sign up for a new account at the moment due to tons of spam bots and the fact that this old message board really lacks any good security for that).

I talk to Rob every now and then. But it's been quite a while since the last time as I get side tracked with all sorts of other projects and work. Aside from my regular job, I have a side business, Takuban Motorsports LLC, that just brings in enough money for me to modify and race my car. haha. Then regular life stuff takes up lots of time. One thing that's *kinda* game related is that my day-job company owns GameSpot.com. So it's possible but not very probable that I could be working on something on that site. I'm not holding my breath though. haha.

The likelihood of me getting back into game development is pretty slim, unless I start doing some iPhone apps or something like that. I check this forum every now and then, but I'm not very regular on here. And I probably won't get around to upgrading the message board any time soon since that will take time away from other projects in both the above mentioned side business and another one, Takuban Enterprises, that I'm working on stuff for that I can't disclose at this time. It's nothing exciting in the gaming community though. So no real mystery there. haha.
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the heck of it, I'll break my silence as well.

Generally put, I haven't been active online at all, in any matters latelly. Real life is just requiering my attention more nowadays, and I tend to spend most of my time in front of the computer either watching Anime or playing consoles.

So, it's getting quite rare for me to sit on chats and forums nowadays, and the one forum I do check fairly regularly nowadays, is one me and real life friends use to plan and arange things. So yeah, I'm a bit dull nowadays.

Curentlly been stuck enlightening myself in the glory that is Gundam and all it's many aspects the last month or so (Starting to become a Gun-fan *sigh*).

FM: Yeah, but due to its Warforged racial bonus, it always stabilize!
killer_roach

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much of anything occurring around here, either. In the process of finishing up my Master's Degree in Applied Economics, also applying to a number of schools for Ph.D. programs.

Apart from the research (which is yielding some interesting stuff; everything we thought we knew about income distribution in America is being turned on its head in this recession), I really have taken a step back from some of my major fandoms. I still watch anime from time to time, and still occasionally get into video games, just I'm more of a game collector now than anything, and much of my "serious" gaming is on a console (even though my PC is more than capable - just nothing comes out for PC anymore!).

My main fandom anymore is in my music... although I've always been interested in what I've gotten into, I never really knew the proper description for it. To wit, I'm really starting to get more and more into progressive and art-rock stuff, and trying to once again start songwriting (also have a bass guitar picked out for when I can finally afford it!). I'm aware that it's weird, unorthodox, and possibly a bit avant-garde, but that's half the fun, even if most of the best stuff anymore has to be imported from Europe *sigh*.

Desktop:
Core i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz
16GB DDR3-1600
eVGA GeForce 970 FTW
Windows 10 Preview

Laptop:
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
4GB DDR3-800
Radeon 4570 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Malfrex
Ancient One

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bite on the "status update" run that seems to be going on here.

Since I last did any sort of major update on things the company I'm working for (Frantic Films) has grown their Vancouver office, where I'm situated, from about 25 to 80 and we're still growing at an insane rate. Add to it that we have a major film coming out August 7th in GI Joe, one project finishing up this weekend, another 2 in house with at least 5 in the queue, we've been busy.

There's been some videogames still, but I've ventured back into playing sports more then I did for a few years and spend a lot less time on the computer, probably because of doing it so much at work Smile

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
i7 3770k (will OC @4.5Ghz)
2x8GB G.SKILL DDR3-2600
MSI 7970 3GB
Crucial M4 128GB
~10.9TB RAID 5 (4x 4TB)
The Arson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is crazy to see some of these names on here. Raptor, Oakley, roach, etc.

I registered when I was maybe 15. surprised I didn't get a perma-ban after I was such an annoying little banmeplease and got all those aliases banned.

26 and single. no wife or kids or anything. work in business management, suit and tie type for a well known hospitality industry company.

jumped into business immediately after graduating college, and am kind of burnt out. being "the boss", salary, company car, all that is nice, but it isn't really worth it.

going to move out west for a year or two and be a ski bum, maybe work at a resort for $10 an hour if I get bored, have enough saved up where I don't have to work for awhile unless I want to.

not really much about me right now. work a lot, spend free time in the summer bs'ing with the buddies, drinking beer, going to lots of weddings, chasing women, going on the lake, skiing in the winter.
Vuen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey wow, seems lots of people still lurk these boards every now and then. Myself included; just burned into my brain I guess.

I'm 23 now. I graduated uni in Math and Physics almost 2.5 years ago. Went to work at a ~80-90 person independent mobile game company and eventually became their lead iPhone developer. I have a few games on the app store under my belt :-). Worked there for about a year and a half, then left with two others about 6 months ago to form a new startup (not games related). So that's been keeping me pretty busy; haven't done much but work lately, heh.

It's nice to see everyone again, even if it's just in passing. *waves*
Robyrt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I still check here every once in a while. Good to see everybody is still alive Smile

I'm out of college now, a programmer with an English degree, watching the company stock price slowly spiral downward as our clients receive more and more federal bailout money.

I haven't been playing much video games lately, Street Fighter 4 having burned me out for a while once I started attending tournaments. (Not winning tournaments, mind.) My main areas of nerdery right now are pretentious comics and TV shows.
dvereb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vuen wrote:
... and eventually became their lead iPhone developer. I have a few games on the app store under my belt Smile. ...

Any good games I could try out? I just received an old iPod Touch that I've been messing around with. All I have so far is Flight Control and geoDefense. I need a few more suggestions Smile
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

School, is that edible?
FlamingMonkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently enrolled in university in Ottawa for computer science, 1st year. I've spent the last few years after high school just working and making money to get to this point - I'm 21 right now. The CS courses here are ludicrously easy and it's giving me the impression that a degree from this particular school will be about as useful on a resume as a year or two of just working as a programmer. I maintain hope that my first impressions are wrong.

Vuen, you have been and (with this recent news update of yours) continue to be my idol. I can't remember the number of times I wound up erasing lengthy posts in argument threads after seeing a similar but logically superior and more articulate post of yours appear before I submitted mine. Most of the time you see one of my lame joke posts (often just poorly-disguised insults, thanks to me being like fifteen at the time and thinking myself clever) in the middle of a serious argument, that was what happened to a formerly serious post.

And damn, this is still my home page. I can't bring myself to change it. I will change it when I see a "this page cannot be displayed" message, and not before.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: