OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index OMF:BG Message Board
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Event system in Guild Wars 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raptor
Ancient One

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Event system in Guild Wars 2 Reply with quote

This is probably old new to everyone, but as usual I'm a few light-years behind everyone else (random: Oh neat, this new opera version has built in spell-checking! crap, so many mistakes!) so I haven't really read or noticed about this until now.

But as I was browsing the GW wiki I found this one: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Event_system

Basically it is GW2's new way of handling quests and story in the world. That aspect has easily been one of the more boring, as well as worst executed part of most crpg/mmorpg games I've seen so far. So no more exclamation marks, no more linear quests and paths that can be speed-run by dedicated grinders ? Well, dunno.

I do see that there is much that could go wrong with such a system, and if they mess it up then the entire game will probably suffer from it. On the whole I'm impressed with what ArenaNet has done so far, and suspect them of beeing able to do it at least "ok".

I've earlier been sad that they wanted to go over from the fully instanced system, to the mostly MMO setup they plan in GW2. But in light of changes such as the Event system as well as the new world vs world pvp systems, I can understand it well enough.

Now just to buy a pc strong enough to play it someday.

Also, in note of all this, if anyone knows of any games with well executed quest/mission systems I would love to hear about it. Became very curious about that part after reading this. Until now I'd say the games I find have solved quests the most interesting (to me) would be different variants of the Infinity engine (Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment), simply becose they felt like an integrated part of the setting/world, and never made a "mess" of the setting around them. Hmm, how to explain that, in short I guess I don't like the big shinning marks saying "here is a quest! talk to this guy for finishing quest and reward!", as they break the immersion of the setting for me.
Xaronth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of reminds me of Planetside in a way in that the world feels dynamic. Of course in Planetside what went on didn't last too long but it will be interesting to see how this turns out. I always liked Guild Wars so I hope the sequel turns out ok.
"A thin line separates us. I call it 'talent'". -Ken Masters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OMF:BG Message Board Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: